Completed [AUS] [Vic] Decision making among 3-times-weekly drug users

evalys

Greenlighter
Hi,

My name is Evelyn Tan, and I'm currently doing an Honours in Psychology at Monash University, Clayton, Victoria. Part of the Honours degree is to conduct a research project, and these are the details:

A research group from Monash University is looking for participants who regularly use substances (e.g. alcohol, cannabis, amphetamines) to take part in a decision-making study. The study includes completion of several questionnaires about your mood and personality, and some computer decision-making tasks. The session will last 1.5-2 hours in total and will take place at the Clayton campus of Monash University.

Participants must be 18-65 years old. Participants will be reimbursed $15 for their travel and time, and participants can win up to a maximum of $35 on the computer tasks. Confidentiality will be strictly protected.

This study has been approved by the Monash University standing committee on ethics involving research in humans.

Please call 03 9905 3803 OR email [email protected] if you are interested.

We are currently testing and will be till the end of August. After-hours and weekend sessions can be arranged.

Also, we would really appreciate it if you could pass the word on to friends who might be interested. Thank you!

Hope to hear from you,
Evelyn Tan

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Evelyn

Thanks for posting your Honours research here at Bluelight.

We would appreciate it if you can ensure that you return to this thread with your results when you are done. We'd love to hear about what you've found out about decision making in drug users.

It would be great if you could provide another method of contact (e.g., an email address that will be currently once you have left Monash) so we can follow-up on the results if you don't make it back here yourself.

I'm curious about how "participants can win up to a maximum of $35 on the computer tasks" . Are the tasks games? What are the ethical considerations regarding the fact that some participants will win more than others presumably based on either skill or luck? Just curious ;)

Hey Tronica

Thanks for allowing researchers like me to advertise on forums like this!

My personal email is complicated.candy AT gmail.com, and yep, I'm definitely going to try and get my thesis published in a journal somewhere, and a link to it in here. But if that doesn't happen, I'll write up a short summary of the results and post it in this thread. :)

And in answer to your question about the computer tasks, yes, they are indeed games. They are however very simple games, then you play just by clicking the mouse button or pressing a spacebar. There are a total of 5 games. Not much skill is needed in the games, and there're no time limits placed on the games etc. And because the games are all pre-determined (every game has the same order, chances etc.), it's not really luck either. So, the amount of money a participant gets on these tasks really depends on how they process the task at hand and make a decision. I can't go into much detail right now because it might probably influence behaviours of potential participants, but if you're interested, I'd be more than happy to send you a PM describing them a bit more.

Cheers,
Evelyn

No problems, Evelyn, this is what Drug Studies is here for :)

Sounds like an interesting experiment you have! Do you need to recruit a large number of people or just a small sample?

We need approximately 100 people, and we're at about the halfway mark. We'll be testing till August though, so hopefully we'll be able to get enough! If you know any friends who might be interested, please pass the word on! We'd really appreciate it. :)

howdy just thought i'd let you know this study isn't currently recruiting anymore, not sure if evelyn's been on here in a while.

i did the study myself, and know both her and her research partner. was pretty damn fun, and i got a free 30 bucks!

i'll speak to them and get the final report put on bluelight when they're finished (cuz i bet they wont remember to do it!)

just thought i'd let y'all know so you can take it off "currently recruiting".

peace y'all, -bud

Thanks for the update. Yes, if you can nudge the OP to post up the final report or do it yourself, that would be helpful :)

Hi all, it's been a crazy last couple of months! I just logged in to give you all an update. Both my research partner and I have submitted our theses, but we're now working on publishing both our papers in research journals. James ended up focusing on loss aversion whereas I did my thesis on reward sensitivity. I don't really have anywhere to host the documents, but if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. You can always PM me with an email address to send it to as well.

Thanks again for letting us advertise on here and for people's participation!

Evelyn

Hi Evelyn

Perhaps the best options is for you to continue working on the papers but to post up preliminary findings, like an abstract or short exec summary?

Well done for submitting!