View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Aus - The drug habits of highly effective people

poledriver

Bluelighter
Aus - The drug habits of highly effective people

art-drugs-300x0.jpg

Every day Simon gets up at 5.30am to do yoga. Afterwards he heads to his full-time job at a university. Sometimes, he throws in some volunteer work as well.

"I'd say I'm a pretty busy person," Simon, not his real name, says.

The reason he doesn't want his name used is because there's one other part of his lifestyle Simon is explaining.

"I would use drugs a couple of times a month," he says. "Hallucinogens, mainly, and MDMA".

He also uses cannabis and alcohol, although he tends to only drink one or two nights a week.

"I'm reasonably healthy, I look after myself a lot of the time, I'm probably not what a lot of people who are anti-drug have as their stereotype of a drug user," he says.

But Simon is a pretty good example of the type of drug user identified by the Global Drug Survey, conducted this year in Australia in partnership with Fairfax Media.

At 32, he is a little younger than many people who shared their experiences, about 30 per cent of whom were aged between 40 and 60.

Overall, the 6600 respondents were an educated, healthy, heterosexual, Anglo-Saxon and well-off bunch - about a quarter earned over $100,000 each year.

The survey is the biggest ever undertaken in Australia examining current illegal drug users, with about two-thirds of people using them in the past year, and about 45 per cent in the past month.

It paints a picture of the mainstream drug user: one largely ignored by our focus on the harm, and crime, associated with drugs.

Prohibition, many police admit, is having little effect on this user.

Global Drug Survey founder and director Dr Adam Winstock is a London-based addiction psychiatrist.

"I spend my life working with one group of drug users, and they seem to be the only group that governments are interested in," he says. "That's the group whose lives are ruined by drugs, but that is a tiny minority."

Two years ago, he had an epiphany: someone needs to talk to these users, find out what they are doing and give them a forum to find out more.

Along with the survey he started a website called drugsmeter, which allows users to get feedback.

"You need to start thinking about basing your policy and your services around the 80 to 90 per cent of people who use drugs," Winstock says.

And all over the world, he says, those people are similar: next door neighbours, mothers and fathers, university students.

Winstock says the Australian respondents to the survey were slightly older on average than those in Britain, and less likely to be in the clubbing scene.

That is probably more a reflection of the fact that in Britain the survey also partners with a music publication called Mixmag

"Your drugs are also much more expensive here; ecstasy is $25-$30 whereas in the UK it's $10-$15. A gram of cocaine is $350 whereas in the UK it's $75," Winstock says.

Cont -

http://www.smh.com.au/national/the-drug-habits-of-highly-effective-people-20130315-2g5rk.html

It's just too bad that the non-illicit-drug-using public can't get a picture of the average drug user because the average user is scared of admitting their drug use to others. Of course, this is perfectly reasonable given the social and legal circumstances. For example, I use to be a lot more open about drug use until I ended up in jail - now I'm very apprehensive about sharing even the fact that I'm interested in drugs.

I'm a lot like "Simon". I have a wife and kids, a professional career, and a fair number of interests and involvements in civic causes. I am also a daily cannabis user, use amphetamines most days (medically prescribed for ADHD), and use hallucinogens, dissociatives, and other drugs every now and then. I take great pains to ensure than no one who knows me in a professional capacity even suspects. I have friends who don't use drugs and never have, some of whom don't know I use and probably never will. I make sure I never fit any stereotypes of a drug user. I never work on anything but my prescribed dose of Adderall and coffee.

I've often wondered what percentage of drug users in my country are folks like me and Simon -- entirely unaccounted for, because we're just too scared for our careers to admit our affinity for chemical fun to anyone except our established circle of brain-bending friends, even survey takers. You really never know whose hands that information will end up in, and what interests they'll have in taking you down. I view my situation as a [so far] non-problematic drug using professional as similar to that of a professional who indulges in some bizarre kinky sexual fetish: something to be kept a discrete part of one's private life. Like a closet fetishist, I'm at peace with the fact that most people I work with could never understand or accept it, and do not need to know about it to work with me.

I agree with the basic premise of this article: the public's opinion of drug users is heavily skewed by the fact that they only see the people who are ruined by them. They don't see all the people who continue to use them while keeping up normal lives and fulfilling their obligations. And this becomes a self-perpetuating cycle, because no non-problem drug users want to break the silence and put their careers and social reputations on the line by coming out about their drug use, for fear they'll be labeled as having a problem and sanctioned accordingly.

Lol.... "cannabis skunk" vs "cannabis grass"..... definitely some competent people in charge of this survey, we must respect results