• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Aus - NT Government may move to decriminalise drugs in bid to tackle health issue, as

poledriver

Bluelighter
NT Government may move to decriminalise drugs in bid to tackle health issue, assistant minister says

57118-3x2-340x227.jpg

Prohibiting the use of drugs in the Northern Territory has failed, Assistant Minister Jeff Collins says, and he will push the Government to look at decriminalising personal use quantities of drugs.

Assistant Minister for Police, Fire and Emergency Services, Jeff Collins, is currently in Portugal on a study tour, examining at that country's successful drug decriminalisation program.

"The prohibition model hasn't worked, people still use [drugs]," Mr Collins said.
"I'm not suggesting in any way that using the drug is a good thing to do, or that we should encourage it, but what we do need to do is look at those people who do use that drug as having a health issue, not necessarily a criminal issue."

He stressed that decriminalisation of drugs was a separate matter from legalising their use.

"Legalisation brings with it a whole raft of issues about supply and regulation and even taxation to some degree and the government's involvement, whereas decriminalisation is more specifically directed at drug users and treating them as a health issue as opposed to a criminal issue," he said.

Dramatic turnaround for Portugal

Portugal has experienced a dramatic turnaround since it decriminalised drug possession for personal use in 2001.

Personal use is defined as a 10-day supply of a drug. When a person is caught, they are referred to a commission for the dissuasion of drug addiction, which consists of a doctor, a social worker and a lawyer who decide what penalty, if any, that person may face.

However, four in five cases are suspended, with no action taken.

Individuals may be prescribed counselling, drug substitution treatment, or face civil penalties such as fines.

A report by the global drug regulation network Transform found that in Portugal, adult drug use has decreased since 2001, young people aged 15-24 are using fewer drugs, and the prevalence of drug-related infectious diseases such as HIV and hepatitis had dropped.

Portugal also has the second-lowest rate of drug-induced deaths for any country in the European Union: three deaths per million citizens, compared to a European Union average of 17.3 deaths per million citizens.

However, it is still illegal to possess trafficable or commercial quantities of drugs.

Treatment better than incarceration: Collins

Mr Collins said he would be pushing for the NT Government to decriminalise at least some types of drugs, and also to look at how the Portuguese model might work to reduce alcohol abuse.

He said he would also be meeting with health professionals while in Portugal to see how the treatment system worked, noting the number of people in voluntary drug abuse treatment had increased in Portugal.

"I think that's a good thing," he said.

"You've got roughly the same number of people using drugs, but you have more people in treatment, so if that's an end result of the system - getting them into treatment as opposed to getting them into incarceration - then, for me, that's a successful program."

The Australian Medical Association of the NT said the former NT Government had defunded rehab programs and the drug court, and said any decriminalisation should be done "with extreme caution and with substantial funding increases for both mental health and rehab", president Robert Parker said.

He said there would likely be an increase in drug-related mental illnesses, which would need to be planned for, and said there were massive health implications for Aboriginal people, who make up a third of the NT's population.

"Given the vulnerability factor, it will probably have a major impact on mental health in Indigenous communities," he said.

He said the rate of drug-induced psychosis for Indigenous people was three times that of the non-Indigenous community in the NT, and that it was difficult to establish effective rehab programs in remote areas.

"A lot of Indigenous people don't engage in rehab," he said.

"It's okay to start talking about the theory, but you've also got to look at the population and geography issues, and what might work in Portugal would have real problems in the Territory."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-...inalise-drugs-in-bid-to-tackle-health/8873944

Me too, however I really can't see it happening in quite a long time. We have many ultra conservative idiots in power who seem to think the answer to anything to do with drugs is get more police and do more busts and pretend all is going well.

Decriminalization is really hard to pull off. In the developed world we have... Portugal, Czech Republic... are there even any others? I think cannabis will be legal nearly everywhere before a significant number of countries decriminalize all drugs. Even here, our government is gung-ho to legalize cannabis but when decriminalization comes up, they won't touch it with a ten-foot pole. Sub-national governments (like in this example) are more likely to talk about it, at least.

Don't forget Bolivia, or was it Uruguay? Too early here for my brain to be working normally.

Or did they just legalize cannabis? I forget :\

i think Uruguay legalised cannabis.

this sort of initiative is sorely needed in the Northern Territory. the health and social problems in the 'top end' of australia are endemic and incredibly serious.
the saddest thing about the people that turn to drugs like cannabis (over some of the more commonly abused substances up there - namely, alcohol and inhalants) is that they then at at the mercy of the legal system.
i don't think this country will ever get over some of our more troubling social problems, especially in indigenous communities, that lead to the really bad substance problems they now have (and the issues that stem from them - such as domestic violence) - and i wish more people would realise that things like cannabis are a far better option, if people want to get high (which they seemingly always will)

i'm not too optimistic about the NT pulling this off, but i would be thrilled if they could make some positive changes in this area.
i've heard that cannabis is insanely expensive in that part of the country (which is a pretty isolated part of Australia - much closer to Asia than the other Capital Cities of Australia)

The Aborigional community from what I saw in Alice Springs was particularly plagued by alcohol abuse and that and so something that leads to a health overview and assessment as oppossed to lining them up to the judicary and incarcerating them thus confining them to a life of criminality and lack of future job opportunities. Wish the decriminalisation move here all the best.

the impact of booze on australian aboriginal communities is nothing short of catastrophic.
you spent a lot of time in australia? (assuming you're not an aussie)

Yeah, I have never been up there, but I would love to. I would guess the problems that come with mass use and abuse of alcohol are and have been at the heart of the domestic violence and rape and sexual exploitation that I have read about up there. Not to mention a lot of other related crime.

As space junk mentioned it is such a shame that cannabis has not been legal for them (and everyone!) - If we could all grow some plants for personal use then I think some of the problems may actually decline significantly over time.

I also see a lot of alcohol use and abuse here in NSW (as most Aussies would) which often leads to violence and other stupid behaviour.

I think as a nation we would be far better off with cannabis legalisation ASAP. We could really do with more people being able to relax and chill out with weed. Instead we seem to be pushing into an area where more people are using alcohol more often and also (even if it is a slow rise) meth. This causes some obvious issues.

I do understand that excessive cannabis use can be problematic and have negative effects too, but I think the people who chronically abuse it would be (or are) in the minority of course. Making criminals out of people with X amount of weed is pointless, unless it is a huge amount, which if different to someone with an ounce, or even half an oz, or someone who grows a few plants etc, these should all not be crimes imo. The cops have to act on these things tho at present.

My friend got busted growing 1 plant towards then end of last summer. The cop made her feel like shit and put a huge guilt trip on her, saying she's ruined her life for drugs etc. All she got was a relatively small fine, few hundred bucks I think. But it went through court, what a waste of time. The cop went to her house just looking for a friend of hers who was using her address for his mail for a while a year back, and when the cop looked over the side fence he saw the one plant up in the back yard. He could have let it slip and not said anything but he acted the hero and busted her for it. What a dick.

^^ I spent a time in Oz and I was out visiting ulurru, kata juta and kings canyon. I saw the problem on the streets of Alice Springs with the aborigionals and noticed the large presence of what looked to me like private security firms together with a large police station in the centre of town. The rock looks on a map like thirty to forty minutes away by car when in reality is literally a hundred or two miles away. Alcohol abuse in Australia is rampant from my experience. Aborigionals suffer heavily from that and other substance abuses. Bad racism from say mainstream white culture towards them I found but hey that was my analysis from being out there.

Yeah, alcohol abuse is rampant in Aus. I see it being abused and addicting huge amounts of people where I live in NSW and that is mostly white people. With alcohol so common everywhere, bottle shops all over the place, and advertising for alcohol in all sorts of media, even at sports games where kids see it and our leaders of the country often drinking so that everyone sees it in the media, I think we have a very big problem.

How Alcohol and Tobacco are treated and presented in current society as oppossed to how weed, ecstasy/mdma, acid, heroin and cocaine as well as various other substances is baffling. Drinking from my own life experiences has being completely glamourised and promoted yet empirical data and governmental statistics showing its ill effects on society yet stoners or those who like a bit of grass are ostarcised as being wasters, while you are associated as a pill head if you wanna go rolling and then as a hopeless junkie if you dab into a bit of heroin from time to time.

Decriminalisation and regulation through taxation and shifting from criminal to health priority relating to all drugs.

Last edited:
if only Politicians where as wise as the original post. This Planet is being regulated by a bunch a guys who just liked booze and tobacco more than heroin and financially regulated the drug system through an Ingenious idea through state approved prescriptions.
Decriminilization without mention of legalization is the trick. Its all about perception, it will be be, in my opinion,decriminalized in 50 years or so everywhere on earth, due too shifts in social economical and moreso technological advances.
The planet is stressed right now and everyone feels something wrong but no one knows what to do. if things dont implode (weaker social system thus forced decriminalization)
Things will get better and that means evolved enlightement, which would be the ultimate result of a society that finally stops killing each other , creating completely fake wars ahem 911..Iraq.. Korea....even russia all bullshit but still an integral part of history. We have been evolving by making THINGS but have forgotten to evolve OURSELVES.. drugs on a NON addicted basis provides
Enourmous enlightement in many psychiatric situations. drugs are ONLY KEYS TO DIFFERENT DOORS IN our genetic potential. AND are essential.