• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Aus - lawyer wants marijuana legalised

poledriver

Bluelighter
Aus - lawyer wants marijuana legalised

ACCORDING to Rockhampton solicitor Doug Winning, possession of marijuana in non-commercial quantities, for personal use could represent up to one in 10 cases heard in the magistrate's court.

Two US states have now legalised the drug and in December Uruguay became the first country to pass laws making it legal.

Peru is expected to follow suit and the Danish city of Copenhagen is proposing a three-year trial in attempt to reduce organised crime and improve life for users.

"Marijuana users move in the drug community; some on the fringe, some in the middle," said Mr Winning.

"If you legalise the use of cannabis, you take those users out of the subculture and they are more likely to become potential witnesses to more serious Schedule 1 drugs."

Mr Winning doesn't drink alcohol or use drugs and said he wouldn't encourage anyone to use either.

"But from a community perspective, I think it should be legalised."

It has been well documented that US President Barack Obama smoked cannabis when he was young.

"I smoked pot as a kid, and I view it as a bad habit and a vice, not very different from the cigarettes that I smoked as a young person up through a big chunk of my adult life," Mr Obama told United Press International.

But he maintains it is no more dangerous than alcohol.

Mr Winning said he agreed 100% with President Obama's comments, but it was difficult to legislate.

"There are a lot of questions we don't have the answers to, but criminalising a young person for the rest of their lives for smoking a joint is very artificial," he said.

"I'm in favour of a sensible approach to its use and the legal system in relation to it.

"We're over-regulated as a society. We need practical solutions rather than criminalising everyday behaviour."

In the meantime, one of the world's largest drug policy experiments is being closely monitored.

Portugal considered the two ways to take back control of a growing problem: crack down on the suppliers, or punish the users, and opted for decriminalisation.

After 13 years, the programs instigator, João Goulão said they hadn't found a miracle cure to drug use, but that decriminalisation hadn't made the problem worse.

With user comments -

http://www.themorningbulletin.com.a...ockhampton-solicitor-doug-winning-po/2150631/

Rockhampton solicitor Doug Winning

Lol, how authoritative. Sounds like a real heavy-hitter in the legal fraternity. For some reason I'm picturing this guy =D

^ lol…It's the vibe of it.

This is actually him -

RMB_24-11-2011_ROP_03_ROK231111kcourt1_fct1027x632x100_t460.jpg

http://www.themorningbulletin.com.au/news/marijuana-growers-convicted-byfield/1184646/

[video=youtube_share;KllCZGNDTuk]http://youtu.be/KllCZGNDTuk[/video]

You put the url of the youtube vid between [video] tags.

I like tosh.0 it's better than Ridiculousness.

That guy is pretty weird and creepy. And kinda looks like the guy above I guess lol.

Last edited:
It is only a matter of time until it is legalised everywhere, in my opinion.

Yeah, might take a while over here tho, there is no talk of it really at all within the government, but I suppose that could all change pretty quickly. I hope it does anyway.

^They won't change their tone until it wins them points among the crowds that actually vote. And since most people are values voters (values of economic freedom and traditional Christian morality on the Right, and values of government led social/economic justice and compassion to the unfortunate on the Left. Specific issues of abortion/LGBT rights/gun control/taxation often overriding all other concerns) a merely intellectual acceptance of drug war failure won't change the policy status-quo. I think fatigue with the persecution of cannabis use will increasingly translate into voter action in the more progressive states over the next 5-15 years, and then start seeping into the rest of America, though the Bible Belt will resist till the end. After that I hope to see a transition towards acceptance of Insite like programs, and a greater emphasis on drug use as meriting [mandated] rehabilitation efforts for decent persons with serious troubles*, rather than simply being a trait exhibited by heartless criminals.

Widespread decriminalization or limited legalization of harder drugs will require a couple generations, the current mainstream phobia is so deeply embedded. Medical use of some empathogen or psychedelic for exceptional psychiatric issues (e.g. PTSD in combat veterans) may come much sooner, but it will be framed in a "drastic times call for drastic measures" sort of way, and they'll assure us loudly and frequently that these chemicals are a great danger to the healthy or moderately troubled person.

*In recent PBS-Socal interviews, I've seen Harm Reduction specifically mentioned as an approach society needs to take, and the current Governor of Vermont talking about the massive surge in Heroin use in his state in a factual and non-judgmental way. He didn't call for a massive crackdown on an evil disease, he talked about price and availability driving opiate users to it, and that it was a social issue that needs addressing. It was something that could've been posted in one of our subforums without drawing jeers, seriously.

Last edited:
Yes she is a real police woman and on duty lol…

And that vid was from just a few days ago at the 'big day out' in Melb.

Last edited:
It's takes a while to legalize that. Maybe a more observation or study about this.