• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Aus - First use of marijuana ends tragically as man, 20, killed by freight train

poledriver

Bluelighter
Aus - First use of marijuana ends tragically as man, 20, killed by freight train

HE WAS a son and best mate but hours after his first encounter with drugs, 20-year-old Tom Bond was dead.

In every parent’s nightmare, the young man was hit and killed by a train after what is believed to have been a bad reaction to his first use of marijuana.

Friends said Tom, who was dedicated to his family and health, reacted badly and went into a panic attack before crossing the train line’s safety barrier at Bundamba, Ipswich, in the early hours of yesterday. He was hit by a freight train and killed instantly.

His Ipswich family has been left devastated, with father Andrew Bond last night saying they were grappling to cope with the terrible loss.

“He was really a big-hearted boy who made one silly mistake and paid the ultimate price for it,” he said.

“It’s wrong that he’s gone.”

The grieving father said he did not want any other family to experience their heartache, saying his son was a larrikin who loved a joke.

“He had just figured out he wanted to help people change their lives and get their fitness up,” he said. “He was my son but he was also my best friend.”

139009-7994de36-0439-11e4-ba4e-3b3727fd03ff.jpg

Tom studied at St Edmund’s College before getting a job as a membership consultant at Goodlife Gym. He moved to Adelaide briefly but moved back to Queensland to be with his family.

Mr Bond said he was extremely proud of his son, who had been planning to travel to Vanuatu for his 21st birthday this year.

Joel Carter was Tom’s best friend for almost 10 years and said his friend was someone who would do anything for anyone. He said he wanted others to learn from Tom’s death.

“Don’t fall into peer pressure, keep with your close mates who you trust,” he said. “Tom was a kind-hearted person who would do anything for anybody no matter the cost.”

He said he and friends Christopher Christensen and Jake Hodson all planned to stay by each other and travel while they were young and full of life. “We had so many plans ahead for what we were going to do, but he is gone too soon,” he said.

According to a National Drug Strategy Household Survey of Australians, 21 per cent of people aged between 14 and 19 have used cannabis and 46.9 per cent of 20-29-year-olds have used the drug.

While short-term effects include loss of inhibitions and loss of co-ordination, according to the National Cannabis Prevention and Information Centre marijuana can cause, in extreme cases, fear, anxiety, panic or paranoia, resulting in an aggressive outburst.

Police are continuing their investigations.

135910-24e5a3da-0438-11e4-ba4e-3b3727fd03ff.jpg

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...979135938?nk=5231d4c31dfb0274b6a03cb2008796db

I know my Dad had a panic attack many years ago, while smoking weed. It turned him off weed and made it much harder on me to manage to use any.
Only the good, Right?

Drunk people do stupid things and die every day. There are probably 10 thousand dead drunk people for every dead stoned one. I know a drunk guy who died on a snowmobile, a drunk girl who died in a fire, and a drunk guy who flipped a truck and died. I don't know anyone who smoked a joint and died. The relative risk of pot is low versus alcohol.

Sad story!
My friend had a terrible panic attack and freakout the first time he smoked weed.
It took hours to calm him down.
Cannabis can have a nasty effect on some people.
I hope that important information like this is included in and supported by - rather than skipped over by - these waves of legalization that are beginning to sweep over the world.

Drunk people do stupid things and die every day. There are probably 10 thousand dead drunk people for every dead stoned one. I know a drunk guy who died on a snowmobile, a drunk girl who died in a fire, and a drunk guy who flipped a truck and died. I don't know anyone who smoked a joint and died. The relative risk of pot is low versus alcohol.

Exactly. And ironically in the first pic, they are drinking. You have to wonder if they were doing anything else besides just cannabis when the guy lost it.

Yes it's sad, but alot of sad stuff happens, and the paper is clutching at straws to make cannabis look bad it seems.

Yea, he had a panic attack, but how did that lead him to go in front of train? I'm not trying to be insensitive, but I just don't see the causal link.

I've had panic on weed before, to some degree, but maybe it is not compared to what others are saying. My heart would race and almost feel like I was having a heart attack, and I'd become very paranoid.

Well, that's the media, putting the spotlight on drugs and drugs are bad!
Alcohol isn't drugs of course, governments can earn money with that.
It's also the drug that made the person do something, it's not that he had to feel comfortable before taking a drug or risk psychosis or whatever.
And it couldn't have been that the friends he was with laughed as he panicked and didn't try to stop him as he ran, until it was too late.
BIG BAD WEED!

Sorry for this heartless comment, but it just pisses me off and it's the typical media trick.
They add some words of the family members (which should've been left alone to deal with the grief at this point) and you are starting to feel empathy for this one family which experienced this specific problem.
But it's the drug which you automatically blame, because you don't want to think bad about the dead boy, who's said to be a really good guy, the parents, who just lost their son or the friends who lost a friend and some even witnessed it.
Blugh.
I hate this type of media.

Yea, he had a panic attack, but how did that lead him to go in front of train? I'm not trying to be insensitive, but I just don't see the causal link.

I've had panic on weed before, to some degree, but maybe it is not compared to what others are saying. My heart would race and almost feel like I was having a heart attack, and I'd become very paranoid.

Yep, I know I have had that too, mostly when I was alot younger but I can even recall just a few yrs ago when I got some really strong weed and I had too many cones after a few drinks and was the same as you said.

Am I the only one wondering where the fuck his friends were? If he was your "best mate", where were you as your "best mate" was having a bad reaction to a drug he just took with you and subsequently is now wondering around on train tracks? I've baby-sat pure strangers because they were having a bad trip and couldn't consciously let them wonder off alone.

Lastly, I can't fathom a state of mind, especially on WEED, where I am unable to realize what a freight train is and why I shouldn't be standing in front of it. I'd like to see the toxicology report on this one, who's to say they didn't get sold some PCP-laden shit, or JWH-018 or something like that? If it was their first time, they might not have known the difference. Again, where were his friends?

Something smells very rotten here. Regardless, my heart goes out to the family, this must be impossible to accept. :(

Well, that's the media, putting the spotlight on drugs and drugs are bad!
Alcohol isn't drugs of course, governments can earn money with that.
It's also the drug that made the person do something, it's not that he had to feel comfortable before taking a drug or risk psychosis or whatever.
And it couldn't have been that the friends he was with laughed as he panicked and didn't try to stop him as he ran, until it was too late.
BIG BAD WEED!

Sorry for this heartless comment, but it just pisses me off and it's the typical media trick.
They add some words of the family members (which should've been left alone to deal with the grief at this point) and you are starting to feel empathy for this one family which experienced this specific problem.
But it's the drug which you automatically blame, because you don't want to think bad about the dead boy, who's said to be a really good guy, the parents, who just lost their son or the friends who lost a friend and some even witnessed it.
Blugh.
I hate this type of media.

WAAHH! MY DRUG OF CHOICE ISN'T LEGAL BUT OTHERS ARE! WAAAHHH! I HATE THE GUBMENT, CUZ IM AN EDGY 16 YEAR OLD BABY! WAHHHHH!!!!

AND INSTEAD OF WRITING MY CONGRESSMAN, AND TRYING TO ORGANIZE LEGALIZATION RALLIES, IM JUST GOING TO BITCH ON AN INTERNET FORUM ABOUT ALCOHOL!

IM A LITTLE BITCH! WAHH!

That's all I read when I hear people like you type lol

WAAHH! MY DRUG OF CHOICE ISN'T LEGAL BUT OTHERS ARE! WAAAHHH! I HATE THE GUBMENT, CUZ IM AN EDGY 16 YEAR OLD BABY! WAHHHHH!!!!

AND INSTEAD OF WRITING MY CONGRESSMAN, AND TRYING TO ORGANIZE LEGALIZATION RALLIES, IM JUST GOING TO BITCH ON AN INTERNET FORUM ABOUT ALCOHOL!

IM A LITTLE BITCH! WAHH!

That's all I read when I hear people like you type lol

???

Random and uncalled for, even if it is a manic episode.

LearntYoung lives in the Netherlands, which is quite tolerant towards Cannabis Sativa consumers, and - as far I'm aware - doesn't have a national congress. And as a post-secondary school student, I'd wager he's also older than 16.

Reserving a little judgment before doing a little fact-checking will go a long way.

Thanks, ro4eva :)
I'm 19 years young by the way.
Oh and I'm not even that much into weed...
I'm more into amphetamines and Methoxetamine :D

I'm not here to learn everyones life story on this site. My point still stands.

Last edited:
I'm not here to learn everyones life story on this site. My point still stands.
No, it doesn't - that's the point.
Just try and play nice, that kind of flaming isn't really tolerated on bluelight; this is a harm reduction forum - something that runs best on goodwill.

Thanks, ro4eva :)
I'm 19 years young by the way.
Oh and I'm not even that much into weed...
I'm more into amphetamines and Methoxetamine :D

Anytime LearntYoung :)

And a belated welcome to Bluelight - to you and KyleOpium :)