Aus - 'Fake drugs worse than cocaine'

poledriver

Bluelighter
Aus - 'Fake drugs worse than cocaine'

Townsville man claims 'fake' drugs nearly killed him
Says synthetic alternatives are far worse than things like cocaine
Queensland police now blitzing businesses selling the drugs

161924-legal-drugs.jpg

A Townsville man says synthetic drugs are more dangerous than cocaine. Picture: Calum Robertson

A TOWNSVILLE boilermaker, who was hooked on so-called "legal highs" for two years, says synthetic cannabis almost killed him and destroyed his life.

Bill, who did not want his surname published, said he went from being a productive full-time employee to a "jittery" addict who would leave his work early so he could get a fix.

"I tried a lot of different things (drugs) when I was a young bloke but this stuff, nothing comes close to it," Bill said.

"I have done marijuana, ecstasy trips, cocaine, but nothing comes close to what that s--t did to me."

Queensland police have been blitzing businesses selling synthetic drugs, with a search warrant executed in Mackay yesterday.

Townsville police also raided local adult shops, corner stores, tobacconists and an alternative lifestyle shop last week, resulting in a number of arrests.

Mount Isa police have reported drivers so high they believed uniformed officers were aliens "out to get them" while health authorities have warned that users have presented to emergency departments with serious physical and mental health consequences as a result of taking synthetic drugs.

Despite this, the Townsville Bulletin has received numerous texts from readers defending the illegal product.

Bill, 38, said he turned to synthetic drugs after workplace drug testing started at mine sites around Australia, and admits to spending $250 a fortnight on synthetic cannabis at Townsville retailers at his peak.

"Even that wasn't enough," Bill said. "I was well and truly hooked on the stuff and when I didn't have it, I would think about it constantly."

Bill started smoking synthetic cannabis in 2011. Initially, the highs were relaxing but short-lived, and soon he was smoking up to 20 "buckets" a night.

But in September 2012, his addiction to synthetic cannabis took an ugly turn, when a sensation like "my body was in a vortex" overcame him, and he ended up curled up in the foetal position on the dining room floor.

"I felt like I was on fire, like I was cooking from the inside out and my chest and arms felt they were going to pop," he said. "I felt like I was going to die."

Despite this, Bill's addiction to synthetic cannabis continued, with numerous other "turns" before he sought help.

On one occasion, Bill said he dragged his partner around the house, not because he wanted to hurt her but because he thought his life depended on her being with him.

On another, he walked straight past his family, sat in his car and could not move for 20 minutes.

With tears in his eyes, Bill recalled the moment that snapped him out of his addiction. His daughter was home when he had a bad reaction to the chemical high.

"That was it for me," he said. "I knew things had gone too far. That was the last straw."

Bill sought help through a workplace counsellor, and has been off synthetic cannabis since January.

He is just grateful for the support of his partner throughout his dark period, and has issued a warning to other users.

"I know a lot of other guys, and women for that matter, who are still using it," he said.

"But this s--t is dangerous and it worries me that people are defending it, calling for it to be legalised."

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...im/story-fneuzlbd-1226657166298#ixzz2VEDmkwT3

Research chemicals are, in all likelihood, far worse for health than cocaine.
If cocaine and cannabis were legal, we wouldn't have these research chemicals at all.
So the law leads people to take more dangerous drugs - not to people not taking drugs.

^ If by "stigma" you mean "intense propaganda campaign designed to create stigma", I can easily agree.