• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Audio hallucinations on mdma

Philos45

Greenlighter
Three of us went out to a gig last night. All took the same stuff (pills). My friend has used this particular supplier before and never been an issue for us in the past, so think they are clean.

Myself and one of my mates have a great time, as expected. The other one has a great time to start with and then starts to think that everything is about him, girls are making moves (when I am not spotting that), starts hearing things, and the fun voices make way to less fun ones. Said he was being singled out and filmed (I can’t verify if true or a hallucination), overheard people saying they were going to tell security about him (when he looked normal), when he went to get some water, said he overheard people saying ‘oh that’s him’. I couldn’t hear anything other than the music unless you spoke directly in my ear.

I’ve never come across audio hallucinations like this before. It has emerged this morning that he didn’t go into the gig with the right mindset / had some baggage that was distracting him. Is this just a bad trip?

He is convinced this happened. I think he did experience this and that’s scary but it was his brain in a paranoid / not happy place.

Trying to console him today, but he is a stubborn git at the best of times. Any help or experince dealing with this would be greatly appreciated.

The auditory hallucinations paired with general paranoia and accusatory delusions sounds like a classic case of psychosis. Psychosis is commonly induced by stimulants and psychedelics, of which MDMA is both.

Is your friend feeling better? Did these hallucinations stop?

Last edited:
The auditory hallucinations paired with general paranoia and accusatory delusions sounds like a classic case of psychosis. Psychosis is commonly induced by stimulants and psychedelics, of which MDMA is both.

Is your friend feeling better? Did these hallucinations stop?
Thanks Snafu ❤️
He is feeling better, just scared about being singled out and convinced it happened and what if that video of him dancing (looking a bit fucked) got out (if it wasn’t him imaging it). As soon as he felt he was in a ‘safe space’ eg back at my pad, he was fine and no more hallucinations this morning.

It's possible your friend has undiagnosed schizophrenia or psychosis, or has already been diagnosed but has not told you. In any case I would try to convince your friend to seek psychiatry, although this may be easier said than done, and may be a difficult conversation to have.

It's also possible this was a one off scenario, everyone reacts to drugs differently, particularly if he was already taking medications such as antidepressants (which should not be taken with MDMA in the first place).

But yeah, what you described is very typical of psychosis. Drug induced psychosis can be a one time thing, a recurring thing, or an exacerbation of a permanent thing.

It's possible your friend has undiagnosed schizophrenia or psychosis, or has already been diagnosed but has not told you. In any case I would try to convince your friend to seek psychiatry, although this may be easier said than done, and may be a difficult conversation to have.

It's also possible this was a one off scenario, everyone reacts to drugs differently, particularly if he was already taking medications such as antidepressants (which should not be taken with MDMA in the first place).

But yeah, what you described is very typical of psychosis. Drug induced psychosis can be a one time thing, a recurring thing, or an exacerbation of a permanent thing.
Thank you. Can go armed with some reassuring information. Much obliged

Three of us went out to a gig last night. All took the same stuff (pills). My friend has used this particular supplier before and never been an issue for us in the past, so think they are clean.

Myself and one of my mates have a great time, as expected. The other one has a great time to start with and then starts to think that everything is about him, girls are making moves (when I am not spotting that), starts hearing things, and the fun voices make way to less fun ones. Said he was being singled out and filmed (I can’t verify if true or a hallucination), overheard people saying they were going to tell security about him (when he looked normal), when he went to get some water, said he overheard people saying ‘oh that’s him’. I couldn’t hear anything other than the music unless you spoke directly in my ear.

I’ve never come across audio hallucinations like this before. It has emerged this morning that he didn’t go into the gig with the right mindset / had some baggage that was distracting him. Is this just a bad trip?

He is convinced this happened. I think he did experience this and that’s scary but it was his brain in a paranoid / not happy place.

Trying to console him today, but he is a stubborn git at the best of times. Any help or experince dealing with this would be greatly appreciated.

1. Regardless of your experience, are you positive it is pure MDMA by four reagent test?

2. Does your friend take Vyvanse, Adderall, or any other substituted phenethylamine for ADHD? (Ritalin, Stratera, etc)

3. Does your friend regularly do methamphetamine or amphetamines?

Studies have proven that just 7 days in a row of 75 mg of amphetamine/methamphetamine can cause amphetamine induce psychosis.

That all being said. I have definitely had auditory hallucinations, auditory modulations, visual disturbances, and the good old eDreams where you don't know if you're awake or you're not.

I have a friend who had to take Adderall and Vyvanse for significant health concerns. The combined dose was about 100 mg a day. After a year he thought people are trying to kill him. It took three days of no medication for the psychosis to dissipate.

If your friend was good the next morning, it's probably not amphetamine and do psychosis.

However, if if you want to experiment, get yourself some Ativan a good amount, and titrate his dose. To have hallucinations, give him an Ativan until he falls asleep. Realize that he can never do amphetamines again.

And get him to the doctor.

A heartening note. My friend fully recovered, and is able to roll and party without being overly concerned that the psychosis will return.

I've had stuff like that with both MDMA and mephedrone before. With meph it's more solid voices (when out and about, not sitting at home alone!) and with MD it's more like not being able to place where voices and sounds are coming from (if walking home past hotels with balconies). Trouble with stim hallucinations/paranoia is they can be so close to reality (and they might actually be real anyway :hammer: ).