• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Atheism and theism are not mutually exclusive.

wait a minute, i strictly remember jesus telling the pharisees to kick rocks when it came to following their dogma. like keeping the sabbath holy and not eating certain things.

@Cheshire_Kat

matthew 15:11

"Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man"

So if god gives us logic and reason to see what objective ethical truths are, then why are there people who believe in god that still do things that we consider bad or tyrannical or controlling or violent?
maybe because they've read the o.t. and see how god wanted people to go out and genocide others and stuff, and how o.t. god was into infanticide and all that. shoot, even jesus cursed a fig tree because it didn't have fruit (out of season to boot, iirc).

wait a minute, i strictly remember jesus telling the pharisees to kick rocks when it came to following their dogma. like keeping the sabbath holy and not eating certain things.

@Cheshire_Kat

matthew 15:11

"Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man"
Yes He did say those words!

However, I am not sure about your post.

Why do you think He said that ?
What were the circumstances ?
What is the point you are trying to make?

:unsure:

my point is that:
The Catholic Church is under attack from within and it is important that the faithful do not stray from Christ's Church. Remember that as a Jew, Jesus went though each and every traditional Jewish religious stricture Himself. He honored and obeyed all of the Mosaic Law.
is not the whole story. he knew the laws, maybe even better than the pharisees... but he seems to me to be saying that the rules are mutable, and being a decent person is much more important than strict piety, blind adherence to dogma.

maybe because they've read the o.t. and see how god wanted people to go out and genocide others and stuff, and how o.t. god was into infanticide and all that. shoot, even jesus cursed a fig tree because it didn't have fruit (out of season to boot, iirc).
That still doesn’t answer the question of why would you believe that god gives us logic and reason to figure out objective moral truths about reality but yet people do not possess the necessary amount of logic and reason to not fall victim to religious dogma?

I was trying to make the point that objective morality does not exist and that’s why religion fails and that’s why logic and reason fails. It was more rhetorical than anything.