• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

At what dose does Quetiapine lose it's affinity for H1 receptor?

pally pete

Bluelighter
As per the title..

I've looked on various forums, Googled, Reddit etc but had no specific answers. I just read everywhere that in very low doses (25-50/100mg) it acts on the H1 receptor causing most of it's sedative/hypnotic effects.. But when/what dose does it lose this H1 receptor affinity?

Mods please move to relevant section if this is the wrong place or receives no replies (As a lot of my threads seem to :(

Thanks in advance ;)

According to the binding figures on wikipedia, out of all the receptors quetiapine binds to, it actually has the highest affinity to the histamine H1 receptor... I don't think you'll be able to find a dose low enough to not cause H1 blockade.

Fortunately tolerance builds to the sedative effects of H1 antagonists quickly, so repeated daily use will reduce its effectiveness as a sedative.

According to the binding figures on wikipedia, out of all the receptors quetiapine binds to, it actually has the highest affinity to the histamine H1 receptor... I don't think you'll be able to find a dose low enough to not cause H1 blockade.

Fortunately tolerance builds to the sedative effects of H1 antagonists quickly, so repeated daily use will reduce its effectiveness as a sedative.
Thanks for your answer.

I'm now at the prescribed maximum dose of 150 mg Quetiapine. I know some people are on way higher doses, it's just that my shrink thinks 150 mg is the optimum dose for my condition. Sorry to bother you again, but I should have mentioned.. If I want to take breaks from the Quetiapimne maybe 2-3 nights a week but still can't sleep - would a low dose of Mirtazapine help? I'm just concerned that the Quetiapine will be binding to/blocking the H1 receptor rendering the Mirtazapine useless? Also have all the sedating antihistamines at my disposal ()Hydroxyzine, Promethazine, Doxylamine, Diphenhydramine)

Thanks again ;)

Mirtazepine would work but of all those, I would recommend doxylamine for sleep the most. I have read many good things about it; namely that it can be more potent than phenobarbital at inducing sleep.

Mirtazepine would work but of all those, I would recommend doxylamine for sleep the most. I have read many good things about it; namely that it can be more potent than phenobarbital at inducing sleep.
That's a surprise. I've read mixed things with regards to Doxylamine. eg it has a high incidence of causing paradoxical effects.. Increased anxiety etc.. Something I don't need but may give a go anyway... The Promethazine & Hydroxyzine massively disappointed me as I was led to believe by my psychiatrists and many others that those were the top 2 sedating antihistamines they would use for anxiety/insomnia. Yet they didn't even touch me at varying doses :(

Thanks for your time. I'll give Doxylamine a go and see how I respond and report back. Btw, not sure if I mentioned - but I like/want the sedation from the Quetiapine. I just wish it lasted longer, as it usually will only put me out for between 4-6 hours which isn't what I'd hoped for. I was hoping for at least 7-8 hours of sleep from this drug... I also have the choice of Olanzapine, yet what I've read is that Olanzapine has even greater side-effects than Quetiapine.

Something else is that many people suggest that tolerance builds fast to Quetiapine etc... leading to rapid dose escalation and an absolutely brutal withdrawal! Something I don't need after going through countless Benzo and Opiate withdrawals.. Currently tapering my Diazepam jumping from 40 mg - 30 mg on Monday.

Sorry, went a bit off track there..

Cheerz ;)