art forum discussion?

euphoricnod said:
^ I don't get it... how is it, "Bluelight?"

Well, its psychedelic, I like psychedelic stuff and I AM BLUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHTTTTTTTTTTT! :X :X :X 8o

Yeah sorry it was the PD Coat of Arms =D

AmorRoark said:
I'm not sold on either direction really but I wanted to express some things that were running through my mind:

When I first joined bluelight back in the day I really liked the VPA forum. I thought the discussion, though limited, was solid, had depth and created a sense of community.

I wasn't privy to the reasons why VPA was shut down and thus have a limited perspective. I'm not sure how the traffic really was once these decisions were made as I might have dropped off from regularing the forum once I moved onto other forums that I continue to regular today. I just don't remember fully.

That said, VPA is one of the reasons I stuck around bluelight. I think its in bluelight's best interest to try and keep the most quality bluelighters on the site. I don't think I'm alone when I say that I think the number of quality posters dropping off is disconcerning. Creating what could be considered as an intellectual community such as an arts forum might be a step in keeping people on board.

Also, just because a forum doesn't have a large amount of traffic doesn't mean the discussion isn't worthwhile IMO. There's a difference between almost zero discussion and sparse but in-depth and thoughtful discussion. The Arts forum might just be an example of quality>quantity on bluelight.

I guess what I'm arguing is that if creating an arts forum caused for quality posters to find it, and stick around it might not be such a terrible idea. Personally, I'd rather see 5 zorns stick around than 500 < - enter any number of bluelighters here - > s.

Of course I can't really argue anything without also being wishwashy so I'll also point out that I'm not sure SO isn't already creating this community or drive for quality bluelighters in its art threads. What's more, I'm not really selling the idea that we should do pursuits with the hope of achieving the result I conjured. I'm just saying what happened for me, and I don't think my experience is so very unique. :)

i was one of the v&pa mods before we flipped over the f&t. i loved that forum.
i just needed to say i agree with so much that AmorRoark has just written

Briefly: not sold on the idea, but not opposed to it either. Put me down as neutral. Would like to hear further input from other admins/senior staff/anyone with vested interest, ideas.

Any more threads in any other forums, folks? :)

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=357499

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=287706&highlight=photography

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=254648&highlight=photography

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=347663&highlight=photography -- possibly

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=151376&highlight=photography -- id consider art

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=313929&highlight=photography -- probably better in an art forum

ill find more later

oh and the continuing 2d art comp thead

i also believe these would get more attention if isolated rather than mixed in with people asking about stinky feet as said before

not to mention the never ending photo competition, and the misfit photo thread that are floating around somewhere,

and all the art that is in the gallery that nobody ever looks at because the gallery sucks

swilow said:
shroomyvisual16abc.jpg

not very plur; all flow of chi is blocked.

i can assure you, that picture is awesome on acid. %)

get yourself some different (better ;)) drugs, stonermod. =D

blissfulMenace said:
how many threads must we find to get anything moving here?
No set number. I don't browse all of Bluelight, so I have no idea what all is out there. It was a simple request to bring all potential art threads to the table to try and give us all a better measure of how successfully we could populate this potential Arts forum. Demeaning other threads, forums and the gallery to that end is not going to bring about results any sooner, if at all.

Some of these threads, like the album art in music, would probably fit best in their current forums?

blissfulMenace said:
like m'colleague said - no set number.

consider this more of a fact-finding mission than anything else at this point. ;)

blissfulMenace said:
nothing's been decided here yet. as sa says, we're still early in the process of discussing this.

somebody correct me if i'm wrong but i seem to recall, when s&t and s&g came about, there was a migration of around two or three pages of threads from other fora to get those kicked off. that's about 80-120 threads.

i'm not saying that if you indicate that many threads, then an art forum automatically happens - we're still discussing this and most of the decision makers haven't even given their opinion yet.

regards

alasdair

so after about 70 positive replies against like 4 negative ones were just going to let this die again?

As SA pointed out, internet time is not the same as real time...closer to glacier races. Have you looked in SUPPORT at the history of efforts to create an Alcohol forum, how long it too for S&G and S&T to be created, or the periodic requests for OD to be split between ups and downs? Its taken months (many months) before such forums are ever 'tried', so while I applaud your enthusiasm, and don't wish to say 'give up', I will say 'not so fast, my friend'.

Add to the mix of what to do first the fact that [A TDS issue] is currently in disarray, we've recently shuffled admins, we're still shuffling smods, and there are several other projects on burners behind the scenes which will effect us (ie, server changes). This is not such a hot issue that needs immediate resolution.

One last comment, is that I'd suggest a smod (one of the ones who have adopted this forum?) ensure there is nothing of staff-only concern and unapprove such comments...then push this to SUPPORT where the members in favor might get a) more awareness of BM's effort and b) help in making the cause known and making such an experiment justified.

I will say my comment earlier about reviewing our current forums for keep-merge-kill isn't just an idle thought either. We (I) just don't have time to do it, and probably won't for a few more months.

alright well i suppose i can be patient then, it just makes me sad to see this thread slide down the forums into the abyss where nobody will see it ever again..

i suppose you could call the cry up there a bump if you will. i suppose some advice on how to keep at least some attention to this might be useful, because i have this feeling once the threads slide down the ranks it will be 6 months before anyone even speaks of it again and we have to start the whole process over again