• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Aripiprazol Cardiotoxicity

mb-909

Bluelighter
Sorry for spamming so often about neuroleptics, but before I die I want to know how these drugs are functioning and working ^^. Well, I always want to know everything about the drugs I am taking ^^.

So, how toxic is Aripiprazol (Abilify) for the human heart?

Test's in eldery showed an increased death rate of 1.6 compared to placebos, mostly through heart failure after a 10 week follow up study. But I couldn't find much more information about it. Thanks in regards.

Last edited:
I'm not so sure about cardiotoxicity, but Abilify is one of the worst antipsychotics for [SIZE=-1]akathisia and general side effects. Risperdone can do everything abilify can with less consequence. I wouldn't be surprised if abilify was bad for your heart in some ways. [/SIZE]

I have only my own experience to work with, but it was chest pain that stopped my run with Abilify. When the doctor was notified, they immediately removed it as an option but didn't really elaborate further (in retrospect, I am very curious if a specific study has been performed that would give some definite answers).

If you're concerned, ("before I die I want to know how these drugs are functioning and working") you may need to discuss your issue with your doctor? It sounds like it may be serious.

Here is a review stating that it seems to be relatively safe, but in the end we don`t know who financed these studies. There is not enough data around, which shouldn't be legal. I mean you shouldn't be allowed to throw medications out there with so little information about them.

(word file): http://www.regioner.dk/~/media/Mediebibliotek_2011/PSYKIATRI/Cardiac safety_prisopg2014.ashx

I would guess that most of the studies were funded by drug companies, since those are the entities that normally pay for drug development. There really aren't that many other organizations that can afford to run clinical trials.

The safety and efficacy requirements for getting a drug approved in the US are pretty strict. In fact, it is a common complaint that it is too difficult to get new drugs approved. It isn't possible to study all aspects of the clinical pharmacology of a drug in phase II and III studies. With most drugs, the people taking it for the first few years after approval are participating in an informal experiment. I don't think there is any other alternative. If you have a side-effect that takes years to develop, or only occurs in 1:1,000,000 people, how would you ever detect that in a clinical trial? All drugs can produce side-effects, and there are always going to be effects that show up unexpectedly when large numbers of people start using a drug regularly.

If you have a side-effect that takes years to develop, or only occurs in 1:1,000,000 people, how would you ever detect that in a clinical trial?

Trials don't actually stop after phase III, the long term effects of many drugs that are "approved" are still observed just for this very reason.

Trials don't actually stop after phase III, the long term effects of many drugs that are "approved" are still observed just for this very reason.

That's exactly why I wrote (in the post you quoted): "With most drugs, the people taking it for the first few years after approval are participating in an informal experiment."