• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Are there other ways of using codeine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drdmike

Bluelighter
Like can you shoot up liquid codeine or is drinking it the only way to use it?

I dont think you can IV codeine. It comes as oral solution and tablets only. At least thats what I have seen. I dont know if you can modify the pills to shoot it, but I wouldn't recommend.

please, please don't shoot syrup.
codeine has an oral BA of 90% c.ca anyways so drinking it is pretty effective already. maybe you just need stronger opiates (not recommended if you're using recreationally)

It's very likely you'll have an extreme allergic reaction to IV codeine if you decide to do it, and you could die.
Oral codeine is already pretty effective, no need to shoot it up.

DO NOT SHOOT CODEINE! It will/can cause pulmonary edema(fluid in lungs, an abnormal buildup of fluid in the air sacs of the lungs, which leads to shortness of breath.) This also goes for hydrocodone.. Please stick to ORAL and RECTAL administration of such drugs.. Stay safe, stay informed... Also DAFS - "Do a Fucking Search." This has been covered before...

Codeine can be injected intramuscularly if it's pure, but never IV. There's little to gain over just taking it orally though; it's well absorbed.

I've read it can be taken sub-cutaneously, however you need a pure preparation. I remember reading in Junkie by Burroughs he and a friend IV'd codeine and the histamine reaction was so bad it felt like they were going to die. They probably nearly did.

Just take it orally, or if you're feeling adventurous plug it (all though supposedly it has no benefit over oral other than stimulating your anus-hole if that's what you're into.)

Been there done that...waaaay back in the day....HORRIBLE prickles and needles all over my body...probably histamine reaxn...lucky I didn't die.
The only thing worse I've EVER IV'd was placidyl.
plug it if you must or eat it...codeine's not worth going to a lot of trouble for...IMHO.

Placidyl's were awesome. We'd poke a pinhole in it and chew the liquid out. I always thought that must be what gasoline tastes like, just made sure I had a drink in the other hand. Early '70's were the best. I still don't know how I survived them.

you'll have a horrible histamine reaction, don't do it. William Burroughs even spoke about injecting codeine tablets in his first book,Junky;

"
I recall one night when Herman and I were caught short with nothing but some codeine sulphate.Herman cooked up first and shot one grain in the vein. Immediately he turned very red, then very pale.He sat down weakly on the bed. "My God," he said."What's the matter?" I asked. "It's perfectly all right."He gave me a sour look. "All right, is it? Well, you shoot some then."I cooked up a grain and got out my works ready to take the shot. Herman watched me eagerly. He wasstill sitting on the bed. As soon as I took the needle out of my arm I felt an intense and mostunpleasant prickling sensation entirely different from the prickles you get from a good shot ofmorphine. I could feel my face swelling. I sat down on the bed next to Herman. My fingers werepuffed up double size."Well," said Herman, "is it all right?""No," I said.My lips were numb like I'd been hit across the mouth. I had a terrific headache. I began to pace upand down the room, since I had a vague theory that if I got the circulation going the blood would carryaway the codeine."

^nice :D

Consensus of this 2 years old thread is: Take codeine orally, everything else is either a waste or dangerous

You can take Codeine by any ROA without it losing effectiveness. Except, both Codeine and Hydrocodone are contraindicated for Intravenous use because they have the tendency to provoke anaphylaxis.

You can take Codeine by any ROA without it losing effectiveness. Except, both Codeine and Hydrocodone are contraindicated for Intravenous use because they have the tendency to provoke anaphylaxis.
could you be just a little more specific and cant beleive this hasnt been said.. NEVER I REPEAT NEVER INJECT CO CODOMAL OR PARACETOMAL TAKE IT FROM SOM1 WITH EXPEEIENCE EVEN A CWE WONT SAVE YOU IN FACT INJECTION IS WHAT MADE ME NEED A TRANSPLANT Y R S A G O A C C O R D I N G T O M Y 300G A Y E A R P E R S O N A L S p e c i a l i s t D O C T O R!!!

But by plugging you bypass first pass metabolism and codeine needs to be metabolized

^Kleiner, I respectfully diagree with you on this one, but I know exactly where you're coming from. We are talking about two different mechanims here. Codeine will be broken down from 3-Methylmorphine to Morphine regardless of how it enters the body. There' no way of avoiding this. Hence, Codeine has historically (although not so much anymore) been found in many different preparations. Intramuscular/Subcutaneous injection was once a popular means of administering Codeine as, in fact, there are advantages relative to Bioavailability (it's higher) than by the oral route. Codeine has also been made in the form of rectal suppositories, as has just about everything at one time or another.

I understand how it can be confusing, but first-pass metabolism is not the only metabolic process that a drug like Codeine is going to go through in the body. We're just overly familiar with it being informed drug users. A second example to illustrate my point is Heroin. Heroin (DiacetylMorphine) is essentially a prodrug for the eventual delivery of Morphine, but doesn't have to undergo first pass metabolism to be converted into the active substance, this happens at a different point in the metabolic process.

Heroin, as you're aware, can be taken by really any means desired, despite its well known interaction with the process of first-pass metabolism. Injection, Rectal, Oral, Nasal or what have you. In fact, first-pass metabolism is something you actively seek to avoid when using Heroin, as it actually renders your drugs ultimately less effective. So when you say "It must be metabolized to produce the desired substance", it's accurate, it's just not first-pass metabolism that you're referring to.

I hope all of that makes sense. I'm not trying to do battle with you Kleiner, just want to get the right information out there.

so wait, you can plug codeine? is it less or more effective? if it works rectally, and i hate to say this but i'm going to anyway, surely it can be snorted too?

I've snorted and plugged and would definitely say you're much better off eating codeine. If you wanna stick something up your arse get a cucumber and then you can make yourself a salad afterwards

IMO snorting it mostly satisfies the desire to use that ROA. Oral with potentiation had better results.

Status
Not open for further replies.