• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Are the trailer parks really as bad as in the media?

MrRoot

Bluelight Crew
Hi,

Going to the States again next fall and I am going to stay for a few months and I am thinking about buying or renting a recreational vehicle and something to haul it during my trip as I am about to visit plenty of different places.

I have got pretty bad opinions about staying at trailer parks but are they really that bad places?

Should I just forget that idea and rent a car and stay in motels?

Trailer parks are not for RVs and camping. Trailer parks are for low income people who live full time in mobile/prefab homes (cheap tin can houses that they wheel in and park them pretty much permanently in one spot instead of building an actual house with a foundation). If you rented an RV you wouldn't be staying in trailer parks, you'd probably be at campgrounds, which are totally fine. Families go there on vacation and stuff.

^ this.

And yes, some, but not all, trailer parks, proper trailer parks, I mean, are pretty bad. Stereotypically speaking full of people on disabilities who are into drugs of various kinds. I used to venture into one near my hometown on a semi-regular basis for drug reasons and I wouldn't say there was a lot of potential for random violence (although I always went with a strap in the glovebox, but at that time I went everywhere with a strap in the glovebox) but they are, stereotypically speaking, full of degenerates. Not a good place to raise kids in.

But again, these are not the places that you would be going if you were camping with an RV.

you guys might have just saved root's life, who knows what could have happened if he decided to park his rv in various trailer parks instead of campgrounds.

i do not have any personal experience regarding trailer parks but it seems how bad they're depends on location. there are some on the california coast which are gated communities and would be considered upper class.

It depends on the residents, the community, and so forth... Some are nice, with good people, others not so much... The advantage of an rv, and a campground, are the recreational ammenities they have on site, well alot have.. You don't have that at trailer parks... But you also do have full time residents who live in rv's, and on a campground, because renting a lot is very cheap, and sometimes includes utilities as well...

MrRoot, my son and his girlfriend just completed an 18 month trip around the US and parts of Canada in an old van style RV. He did a lot of urban camping (parking lots) and free BLM land camping as well as getting a National Parks pass (pays for itself in two uses and is good for 1 year). Hit me up via PM and I can give you more details, including their abandoned blog8).

The trailers in the south that have been here for 30 years suffer greatly from termite damage and sometimes mold. They don't have very good insulation and the windows are not that good quality. The bathrooms in a single bedroom trailer can be very cramped. The area beneath the trailer is an excellent spot for dangerous animals to hide.

The motor home or rv doesn't require a special license to drive and is easy to drive and park.
I know that Walmart doesn't allow trucks or Rv's to be parked in their parking lot overnight anymore.

MrRoot, my son and his girlfriend just completed an 18 month trip around the US and parts of Canada in an old van style RV. He did a lot of urban camping (parking lots) and free BLM land camping as well as getting a National Parks pass (pays for itself in two uses and is good for 1 year). Hit me up via PM and I can give you more details, including their abandoned blog8).
LMAO, I probably shouldn't laugh but that was pretty funny.

I actually lived in a trailer park in N. WI for 11 years. A cheap mobile home was all I could afford at the time, plus lot rent and utilities. It was an interesting mix of people: from kids just starting out, to the elderly living out their last few years. We did have our fair share of meth cookers, and the friendly local "everything" dealer. Same as the demographic of the town I lived in, the park was lily-white. There was a lot of racist ugliness when a black family bought a trailer there. I made my self thoroughly unpopular by refusing to join in the race baiting and displays of hate. They seemed like nice enough people, just working and biding their time until they could save up enough money to move somwhere nicer. One hint about mobine home parts, NEVER live in one that rents trailers. ONLY live in one that require that inhabitants OWN t heir trailers, It makes a huge difference in terms of how well property is taken care of.

Well as the op stated, he's doing the rv thing, rather than actually living in a mobile home park. I can see why non-native english speakers would confuse the two!

Op, you'll have a blast staying at national and state parks! Everyone is on vacation, so spirits are high, and so are most of the people lol. It's usually a fun party atmosphere around the fire. I've only got to do it once, but it was fun af!

- SS373dOH Soul