Are the police listening to my phone calls?

soundsystem00

Bluelighter
My best friend is out of jail (that got caught selling the 50 ex pills) but the police still have his phone, which I called very often. I never actually bought ex from him very much at all, especially recently, but he's my best friend so of course I was worried about him.

Do you think because I showed up so much on his phone that im being listened to right now?

Yeah, but I doubt you have anything to worry about unless you are moving quantity.

all cell phones and wireless phones run on a radio frequency, so technically anyone and everyone could be being listened to at any point in time, by tuning to the right frequency. chances are, they did listen, so be careful. but that does go for every phone call regardless if you had called him or not

im pretty sure in america it is ILLEGAL for police to moniter calls regarding drugs.

im sure it still happens, but unless you are pushing HUMUNGOUS quantity, if it came down to it, it would not hold up in court because it is a violation of the 4th amendment.

they can monitor calls legally only if its like a terrorist situation or some odd

yeah, basically they couldnt use the evidence in court, but they still do do it to give them basis to try to make a case.

I'm sure it's not illegal in the USA, mainly because terror treat.

I was arrested last year and in court the police said they had records of all my calls from the last seven months (which they provided to me to see) and then claimed they had listened in on several calls related to drug usage/selling, and upon arrest took my cell phone to take numbers of people off of it for future reference (fortunately I never put anyones number under their real name so everything was all mixed up and as far as I know none of my friends suffered at all as a result). I think they were bullshitting but I still got convicted, although that wasn't the only evidence they had on me. Sounded kind of illegal to me, but my lawyer didn't argue it at all and I am assuming he would know if that was il/legal.

Don't know if that helps you out at all, just an experience of mine.

pyrrhivictory

They can tap a phone with a warrent. Look how they took down the mob in the 70s. The went as far as bugging their cars and houses.

You have to be kidding me. Since when have cops ever followed the LAW. Just because it is not admissable in court does not mean they are not listening in and building a case against you.

If it's found out that cops were illegally wiretapping you (in the US), they're in a world of shit. Unwarranted eletronic surveillance is something unusual, and something that would only ever happen if the police believed they were very very sure of being on the verge of a huge, important bust. Doubtfully some kid selling a few pills of E.

Understand, it's not illegal for the police to lie their asses off to you (eg, they could say the pills you sold put some 14 year old in the hospital and now they're in a coma in order to get a confession), but it is illegal for them to do unwarranted searches, seizures, and wiretaps.

From what I understand, the cell phone service provider Cricket is very famous for having cops listen in on their calls.

Mostly because you don't have to sign a contract or anything. You basically get all the perks of having a phone through a major company, and no hidden fees. But, supposedly, it strips you of your privacy rights.

Or so I heard.

Wow, I'm not sure where to start.

all cell phones and wireless phones run on a radio frequency, so technically anyone and everyone could be being listened to at any point in time, by tuning to the right frequency.

Not so simple. Cellular phones use digital modulation. What this means, is that you would have to know the specific type of digital system being used, and have the appropriate reciever. On top of that, the data is encrypted, so you would have to crack the encryption too. There are devices that can intercept cell calls, but such equipment is expensive, and is normally used in counter-surveillance (CIA) operations. When the police get a judge to sign a wiretap order, they simply connect directly to the phone company switch.

im pretty sure in america it is ILLEGAL for police to moniter calls regarding drugs.

im sure it still happens, but unless you are pushing HUMUNGOUS quantity, if it came down to it, it would not hold up in court because it is a violation of the 4th amendment.

they can monitor calls legally only if its like a terrorist situation or some odd

I'm absolutely sure that you are mistaken. A wiretap can be obtained pretty easily, if there is probable cause that you are using your phone to buy/sell drugs.

Here, here's some data:

Number of wiretap requests approved in 2005: 1,773

Number of wiretap requests denied: 1

Percent of wiretaps that were against mobile phones: 91% (1,433 of 1,773)

Percent in which the most serious crime was a drug-related crime: 81% (1,433 of 1,773)

Percent in which encryption prevented law enforcement from receiving the plain text of intercepted communications: 0%

Average number of communications intercepted per wiretap: 2,835

Average number of people intercepted per wiretap: 107

Approximate number of conversations intercepted: 5.0 million

Longest running federal wiretap ending in 2005: 287 days

Longest running state wiretap ending in 2005: 559 days

Percent of intercepted conversations deemed "incriminating": 22%

http://www.uscourts.gov/wiretap05/contents.html

yeah, basically they couldnt use the evidence in court, but they still do do it to give them basis to try to make a case.

If they obtained a court order authorizing a wiretap, they most certainly can use what they hear in court. If they don't have a court order, the phone company is not going to let them listen in (unless it's a patriot act request, which is documented differently, and is not used for low to mid level dealers).

They can tap a phone with a warrant. Look how they took down the mob in the 70s. The went as far as bugging their cars and houses.

You shouldn't make decisions based on what they did in the 70s. Besides, your talking high level organized crime, not some street level ecstasy dealer.

You have to be kidding me. Since when have cops ever followed the LAW.

Well, when they don't follow the law, the evidence can't be used in court.

From what I understand, the cell phone service provider Cricket is very famous for having cops listen in on their calls.

You heard wrong. You provider does not hold the rights to your privacy. Any wiretap not authorized by a judge is not admissible in court.

Well one way of finding out if your cells tapped is to talk to a friend in person and have him play along with your phone call.

An hour later call him sounding crazy and frantic saying youre going to kill yourself. Have your friend try to stop you but just keep going with it and hang up. By law they have to respond to that type of call. They could have a major lawsuit if they knew about it and didnt do anything.

Just make sure your shits clean so when they come they dont find anything. This works so dont do it and expect nothing to happen if youre being watched.

cornollio said:
all cell phones and wireless phones run on a radio frequency, so technically anyone and everyone could be being listened to at any point in time, by tuning to the right frequency. chances are, they did listen, so be careful. but that does go for every phone call regardless if you had called him or not

answer : internet instant messenger and cell phone text messenging.
Edit : if you are making loads of money dealing it is recomended you buy a new "pay-as-you-go" cell phone every week or so. Of course buy it were they dont ask for id to activate it.

An hour later call him sounding crazy and frantic saying youre going to kill yourself. Have your friend try to stop you but just keep going with it and hang up. By law they have to respond to that type of call. They could have a major lawsuit if they knew about it and didnt do anything.

how are you going to prove they are listening ? they can claim anything... no-one knows how to bend the law better then the law enforcers thenselves

heres something that might help
http://www.spybusters.com/cell_phone_privacy.html

Last edited:
soundsystem00 said:
My best friend is out of jail (that got caught selling the 50 ex pills) but the police still have his phone, which I called very often. I never actually bought ex from him very much at all, especially recently, but he's my best friend so of course I was worried about him.

Do you think because I showed up so much on his phone that im being listened to right now?

They wouldnt just pick a random number and tap it, because they need to have a reason to get a warrant. If there are any test messages, audio messages specifically stating that you want to buy drugs/ sell him drugs then that could be used but if not you have absolutely nothing to worry about.