• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Are the dangers of Benzodiazepines exaggerated in your opinion?

CheerUpSleepyJean43

Greenlighter
Hey guys, how’s everyone doing? So, after years of SSRI/SNRI meds, my sister-in-law was just put on a high dose of Trintellix, a newer class of meds called Serotonin Modulator Stimulators SMS. It had me thinking of the 10-11 years I was on 10 mg of Valium and 40-80 (I don’t remember exactly) mg of Prozac daily. I began to get sick of medication, so i first quit Valium cold turkey. I know that was dumb, but I can be hard headed at times, my girlfriend was concerned that I’d begin breaking out in seizures of something; but other than some abdominal cramps for two days, irritability for maybe a week or longer and trouble sleeping; I was totally fine. I know that everyone is different, my daily dosage of Diazepam wasn’t very high and it’s also a longer-acting Benzo- often used to taper off Benzos. Moving on to later that year, my dumbass does the same thing with Prozac; which was much worse of a withdrawal than Valium. I had the worst headaches, fell back into a deep depression, had severe insomnia; I didn’t feel normal for at least over a month.

Back to my relative getting a supposed newer and better antidepressant, had me reading some medical research articles, about benzodiazepine’s online, and there were numerous recent articles, about how the media and medical community have over-demonized them; especially in the U.K. and Australia. I know that Benzodiazepine’s are still relatively easy to legally acquire in North America for the most part. But, a lot of these articles, stated how SSRI’s and other new antidepressant drugs, have replaced Benzodiazepine’s and many other useful classes of medications; which is so accurate, because it seems that doctors are beginning to prescribe SSRI’s/SNRI’s for every little thing. I also noticed all of these media segments on YouTube, about how dangerous Benzodiazepine’s are, like a upper-middle class Karen-type of suburban woman, saying how severe her experience with Klonopin or Ativan is; and they’re all appalled that their doctor would prescribe such a thing. I’m my opinion, the doctor, isn’t always to blame; especially since Benzo W/D symptoms have been known since at least the 70s; plus I know that I prefer to research medications before putting them in my body.lol

I also realize, that the opioid epidemic has given Benzodiazepine’s a bad rep as well; so there are very many factors, as to why they’re frowned upon sometimes. But in reality, they are relatively safe medications. I’m sorry to all of those, whom have actually suffered from Benzodiazepine withdrawal or any other drugs, I am not denying that the withdrawals aren’t real. I’ll bet all of these new medications, like Trintellix, Belasomra, Dayvigo, Vybriid etc. will prove to carry many of the same problems as their predecessors; just like the Z-drugs did.lol

As an answer to thread title; Yes, benzos can be dangerous when abused as most people use/abuse them (including myself).
IME, taken in high doses can lead to wrecking vehicles, violent behaviour/rage, jail, physically damaging ones own body (or anothers) from loss of coordination, siezures and possible death from sudden cesation or mixing with other CNS depressants.
Taken in therapudic doses I find they are possibly as safe as any other medication on the market but what addict only takes anything threapudically? Benzos (like all substances) are usually titrated up after a time to keep up with tolerance and this can lead to a dependance that can become a hell if cut off from the medical establishment and lead to some really nasty withdrawals, phychopathy and other mental disorders.
They can be as dangerous as ms karen exclaims but do not have to be.
Not a doctor but just my experience with this drug class.
One thing I can say is that ODing on benzos alone has had no reports of deaths unless there are other factors involved.
IMO, there are a lot more dangerous prescribed drugs on the market than benzodiazapines.
Take care and be safe, yeah?
Peace

Thanks 6am-64-14m and agnosia, I really hope that they complete an in-depth study on them. There really are so many people that benefit from long term Benzodiazepine treatment. When I say long-term, I don’t know if I mean the more potent-short acting Benzos like Aplrazolam or Triazolam; seems like those are apart of the negative notoriety. I guess since Xanax popularity spiked around the time as OxyContin, demand grew or whatever; I don’t know. All I know, is that anti-depressant prescribing in North America has become so rampant, it’s not even funny. As for my experience with other Benzos, my least experience is with Ativan and Xanax; two of the most commonly prescribed- so I can’t speak for what withdrawal is like. Diazepam mostly, Temazepam and finally Clonazepam. I don’t want to call it high, but Clonazepam was the only one I remember making me feel… different let’s say. Like I was floating almost.lol In my college days, I had my fair share of fun, but Benzos never did anything to me. One of my cop neighbors and I were talking to our new neighbor from Ireland, and the guy was saying how rampant illicit Diazepam use is there; and we thought that was strange. I guess they don’t have access to better highs in the U.K. Or something.ahaha Anyways guys, stay safe out there.

There really are so many people that benefit from long term Benzodiazepine treatment
I was one of those for decades but abused the hell out of them eventually and would obtain prescriptions from others. Got into a lot of troubles and figured it was time to get off and did at great cost to my mental state. Didnt know about tapering down until I found this website so just quit and paid the price. Alprazolam.
After a few years off I am now on a benzo again (bromazolam) but at super low doses. It is similar to alprazolam but ime longer lasting and have muscle relaxing and some pain relieving properties. It is not the anxiety relief that alprazolam provides (although this is def helpful) but the other properties that are beneficial for me (from the bromide replacement of the chloride on the benzo ring of the structure).
I find that it serves me well and has replaced a years long poly substance use after getting off of alprazolam that I found was causing some physical issues. It replaced muscle relaxers, Rxed weed and weed products, kratom, phenibut, the occasional oxy, antidepressants and a few other substances that drs threw at me to control pains and anxieties. I can easily see me on this substance for the rest of my life (at this point) and have found that I have "grown up" enough to forego abusing this bzd.
So I also agree that some would benefit from long term bzd use if it is the right one for their needs.
Sorry for the "testimony" but there ya have it. lol
<3

Last edited:
Exaggerated by some dr's, yes. But for some individuals they are very addicting, life threatening at times when discontinuation is done abruptly.

For myself having experienced most of the main stream BZD's and RC variety's. The risk seems exaggerated. A dr. will rather have you sleepless for a year then prescribing a Benzo or adequate substitute like a Z drug.

There are two exception's. Temazepam and ClonazoLam. Those are just to recreational to be functional. All the rest never got me addicted or raising my dosage.

Unlike addictions to GHB, Kratom, Methoxetamine and especially Alcohol they seem pretty therapeutic to me. And no I will never take an SSRI as even a Placebo works better then that. And the withdrawals sound like pure mental/ physical torture.

The dangers are present.especially where got pressed pills.use under med.control is still active for different conditions and,if used as prescribed and don't upper the dose(nor mixed it with other)-they are safe

Does anybody know what study I am talking about when I read recently published study which was inspired by researchers wondering why some get it worse?

They found out that diazepam use [some kind of chain reaction described] in some people but not all people, which resulted in damage in glia cells and axons. If I recall it right. One of the reasons I eventually quit. And quitting made me really believe it.

I had two years intermittent benzo use and almost year I definitely had benzo 24/7 in blood. I was taking two galenika rivotril theoretic 2 mg theoretic clonazepam (way more radical dosing than 10 mg diazepam anyway) a day at peak of my self-medicating and abuse. Little by little decreased dosing after quitting work, then had some dramatic leaps, drank too much and well I don't feel like any adjective is sufficient so let's say WDs were all in all not in any senseful relation to how they made me feel when using. It was not graceful. And it felt like brain damage.

Clonazepam had indeed nice head-clattering feeling.

Ugh, I take clonazepam everyday from 2-6mg but I usually just take 1 to sleep, only when I'm really stressed I take during the day. I can't quit them at this point cause I've been taking them everyday for the past 3 years(therefore I'd wd) but I don't wanna quit taking them. I'm dependent I know, but I don't feel that much of a negative impact on my overall health or cognitive function. Although, I'm kinda worried bcs taking them for years om end desensitizes the GABA receptors permanently and I don't wanna be on pills all my life either. I still need them rn tho and I'm still young soooo let the benzo blackout carry on at least for now, haha.

I was one of those for decades but abused the hell out of them eventually and would obtain prescriptions from others. Got into a lot of troubles and figured it was time to get off and did at great cost to my mental state. Didnt know about tapering down until I found this website so just quit and paid the price. Alprazolam.
After a few years off I am now on a benzo again (bromazolam) but at super low doses. It is similar to alprazolam but ime longer lasting and have muscle relaxing and some pain relieving properties. It is not the anxiety relief that alprazolam provides (although this is def helpful) but the other properties that are beneficial for me (from the bromide replacement of the chloride on the benzo ring of the structure).
I find that it serves me well and has replaced a years long poly substance use after getting off of alprazolam that I found was causing some physical issues. It replaced muscle relaxers, Rxed weed and weed products, kratom, phenibut, the occasional oxy, antidepressants and a few other substances that drs threw at me to control pains and anxieties. I can easily see me on this substance for the rest of my life (at this point) and have found that I have "grown up" enough to forego abusing this bzd.
So I also agree that some would benefit from long term bzd use if it is the right one for their needs.
Sorry for the "testimony" but there ya have it. lol
<3
No need to apologize man, I was hoping people would post their experiences. Now I’m no doctor or medical professional; but if something like a Benzo alone, would help someone to function, and assist their path to recovery from the deadly trash out there these days; I’m all for it. A dear friend of mine was an early OxyContin addict, then it progressed to Heroin for a short time; and he ended up getting sober. But around 2012 or so, he started that Kratom, and became extremely addicted. When he finally decided to quit Kratom, he was able to get on the Suboxone treatment, to get him off. Luckily he’s still with us, and functional this time; but I’m starting to think he’s beginning to abuse the Suboxone now. My number one thing is to let people make their own choices, only if they’re not harming others. I think for those that are like my friend, abstinence is probably the best route; but I’m sure that’s very hard to admit to yourself. I can’t speak for The recovery programs, and really have no idea how they work, so I say this with my own grain of salt, as I don’t think abstinence works for everyone. If something will at least keep one alive & functioning, rather than the latter dead end, provide that instead. We’re all completely different individuals. Agree or disagree with me, I admit that I have little experience in this field; forgive me if I seem like a know it all.lol

Last edited:
Does anybody know what study I am talking about when I read recently published study which was inspired by researchers wondering why some get it worse?

They found out that diazepam use [some kind of chain reaction described] in some people but not all people, which resulted in damage in glia cells and axons. If I recall it right. One of the reasons I eventually quit. And quitting made me really believe it.

I had two years intermittent benzo use and almost year I definitely had benzo 24/7 in blood. I was taking two galenika rivotril theoretic 2 mg theoretic clonazepam (way more radical dosing than 10 mg diazepam anyway) a day at peak of my self-medicating and abuse. Little by little decreased dosing after quitting work, then had some dramatic leaps, drank too much and well I don't feel like any adjective is sufficient so let's say WDs were all in all not in any senseful relation to how they made me feel when using. It was not graceful. And it felt like brain damage.

know what study, but I’d honestly love to read up on it. You

I actually haven’t heard of this study. I’m anxious to hear more on it. You said earlier, that it’s still in progress? Where can I read up on it? Thanks

Exaggerated by some dr's, yes. But for some individuals they are very addicting, life threatening at times when discontinuation is done abruptly.

For myself having experienced most of the main stream BZD's and RC variety's. The risk seems exaggerated. A dr. will rather have you sleepless for a year then prescribing a Benzo or adequate substitute like a Z drug.

There are two exception's. Temazepam and ClonazoLam. Those are just to recreational to be functional. All the rest never got me addicted or raising my dosage.

Unlike addictions to GHB, Kratom, Methoxetamine and especially Alcohol they seem pretty therapeutic to me. And no I will never take an SSRI as even a Placebo works better then that. And the withdrawals sound like pure mental/ physical torture.
Yeah man, the withdrawal from Prozac was definitely worse than the flu.lol The migraines were the worst I’ve ever had, I think they call them brain zaps or something.

Ugh, I take clonazepam everyday from 2-6mg but I usually just take 1 to sleep, only when I'm really stressed I take during the day. I can't quit them at this point cause I've been taking them everyday for the past 3 years(therefore I'd wd) but I don't wanna quit taking them. I'm dependent I know, but I don't feel that much of a negative impact on my overall health or cognitive function. Although, I'm kinda worried bcs taking them for years om end desensitizes the GABA receptors permanently and I don't wanna be on pills all my life either. I still need them rn tho and I'm still young soooo let the benzo blackout carry on at least for now, haha.
At least Klonopin is one of the longer-acting ones though. Not saying it’ll be easy, but I’m sure it’ll be easier than Xanax or Halcion. Just don’t quit cold turkey like my dumbass.lol

abstinence is probably the best route; but I’m sure that’s very hard to admit to yourself.
yeah too much damage done for that, brother. lol if it were an option i would abstain. been through the wringer and hell and cannot function mentally or physically without the help of something. damage done decades ago and drs knew it and had me on old school pain killers, benzos and other shit.
if i knew then what i have learned over my life things may have been different idk. none of us do.
i deal with what i have to from one day to the next like everyone else but without a crutch i cannot stand and deliver. just the facts.
wish i coulda found bromazolam a lot sooner, though. i think i know why they never saw fit to make it prescribable... no money to be made on all the other shit they force down our throats when one substance is all that was needed in my case.
so are you completely sober? no judgements just curious.
best

I agree that Benzos have been demonised here in Australia. Many GPs won’t prescribe them at all.

I have had long running issues with sleep and was put on Gabapentin for limb movement/RLS that was affecting sleep quality. During pregnancy, I wasn’t allowed gabapentin, so it was switched to 0.5 mg Clonazepam (klonopin) which is deemed safer in this situation. I also found my sleep quality improved and I had no daytime drowsiness on this dose of clonazepam (unlike gabapentin). Unfortunately after having kids, my Dr wanted me off the clonazepam and back on gabapentin (which has more side effects imo). I’ve had to fight tooth and nail to be prescribed it, now it’s prescribed at a lower dose, which is not as effective. I wish doctors would not mess with something that works, purely because of their principles. I stayed on 0.5 mg clonzepam safely for 5 years, no dose increase….why change?

I keep seeing ADs and anti seizure meds being prescribed for sleep or anxiety…the likes of Zoloft (which I’ve been on) are the very devil to get off and the side effects are brutal. They are nowhere near as effective as benzos for sleep or panic disorders.

Never tried bromazolam.here is not available in pharmacies...but ocassionaly use also bromazepam,which is nice&not so strong medium acting benzo

i've been addicted to most every major substance type. Without hesitation or reservation, there have been none that have created such all encompassing/life changing effects as benzos. 9 mos of acute wd hell. still have motor issues. Made full on IV china addiction look stupid, frankly. I once did an opioid kick in the middle
of benzo wd simply because benzo wd was so overwhelming i could not feel the opioid wd.

I used to think stevie nicks was being hyperbolic when she said , "quitting klonopin was like walking through hell," now i see it as just an accurate description of the situation. I think they are not suitable for daily use / exacerbate anxiety and PTSD by damaging gaba systems. IMO GABA PAM's are not a sustainable or realistic path for long term medication.