View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Are Psychedellics for Everyone?

Babar420

Greenlighter
I don't have any experience with real psychedellics. The closest I've done besides weed (even though it's not a comparison) is MDMA. I've only had 3 out of 7 bad experiences with MDMA and I think that was only because I took them too close together (only waiting a few days between rolls). The most MDMA I've ever taken was 0.4g and that was by far the most profound experience. I was swooning hard, fading in and out of reality and feeling like God had me coddled in his hands trying to make give me pure bliss. I sat down in a recliner and closed my eyes for what felt like 6 seconds as I felt a sensation of my body being shot into the sky only to open my eyes and realize that 7 HOURS HAD GONE BY! Other rolls, I smoked pot during comedown and started "tripping"....walls started breathing, pictures on the walls started morphing into each other, that sort of thing. This is just my experience.

On to the debate: are psychedellics for everyone? My friends always peer pressure me to try LSD or Shrooms and I always say no because I am scared that I just don't have the right kind of mind for it. I had glowing experiences with MDMA but I just don't know if I have the right mind for LSD. I am very neurotic and manic as it is and I feel acid would only intensify that. I also have a very sensitive mind for drugs. No matter what I am always a lightweight with any substance. I'm that guy who gets stoned off of 2 hits off a joint. I'm just so torn because I am extremely curious and intrigued by psychedellics but I don't want to cause harm to myself or others if things were to go wrong. My friends tell me things like "as long as you have a good mindset, you're fine!" But I just don't know.

I want to hear your thoughts and debate as to whether or not you think Psychedellics are for everyone and why you have that opinion.

They are definitely not for everyone but if u can handle weed and mdma u should be OK with 2cb

You have to learn to let go and just roll with the trip when on psychs....dwelling on things or obsessing will lead to a bad trip

I think they are for everyone for sure, but it just boils down to set and setting.

Psychedelics don't rip your mind apart in the ways you probably think they do. They do in large doses of course. But you don't sound stupid enough to take a massive dose.

Just start low and have fun. I find weed way more uncomfortable than a moderate dose of LSD, for example.

I was pretty much in the same boat as you before I tried them - I had tried weed and that was about it. It was only when a friend offered me shrooms did I do the research, mustered up the courage and dove in.

At the end of the day it's your choice, but if you take set and setting seriously with decent people or even on your own, you can't really go wrong (in my experience).

No, anything in this world is for everyone, that would mean we all would be the same person and that would be boring.
Not everybody likes music, films, stimulants, alcohol, beeing laid, etc.

Basicly for every thing that anyone can like there will always be at least a person not liking it, and viceversa.

when you say it boils down to set and setting, it means mind-set and environmental setting - it is short form for
who you are, where you are at, and where you are physically.
so
NOT FOR EVERYONE
because people are different, and some are not amused by variance in perception of time and space, they require consistent reality.
and where you are at may change from day to day , hour to hour and minute to minute, so if not receptive to relentless confusing impulses (pleasant or otherwise) you will feel trapped in the wrong mind.

The best settings are calm, although good music can be exhilarating - so the right setting will depend on who you are and where you are at.

personally my take is that if people are not attuned to the cycles of life, birth, maturation, death, etc. if they do not appreciate nature, they are not going to benefit from this type of trip

The thing is, psychedelics are for everyone, but not everybody for psychedelics :D

when you say it boils down to set and setting, it means mind-set and environmental setting - it is short form for
who you are, where you are at, and where you are physically.
so
NOT FOR EVERYONE
because people are different, and some are not amused by variance in perception of time and space, they require consistent reality.
and where you are at may change from day to day , hour to hour and minute to minute, so if not receptive to relentless confusing impulses (pleasant or otherwise) you will feel trapped in the wrong mind.

The best settings are calm, although good music can be exhilarating - so the right setting will depend on who you are and where you are at.

personally my take is that if people are not attuned to the cycles of life, birth, maturation, death, etc. if they do not appreciate nature, they are not going to benefit from this type of trip

I don't disagree that set and setting refers to your mindset and environment - but if you are suffering from mental illness then that says your set isn't right at all, and that's all I was suggesting. If you can clear that side of your life up, then it would be more ideal as your set and setting would be in order.

Haltia above said it perfectly I think (way better than I did) - not everybody is for them, but with the right dosage and with a therapeutic approach in a perfect setting, these drugs know no bounds. I think anyone who isn't a potato would find even a light dose of these chemicals incredibly rewarding and fulfilling, but as said before, set and setting must be in order first and foremost.

Also, about the nature thing - I don't think I really stopped and appreciated the world around me as much as I did until after I'd taken these sorts of drugs. It was a very eye opening and maturing experience for me. It very much opened my eyes to nature and made me much aware of my external environment, so I'm very grateful for that. That's not to say that this can't be achieved without drugs, but I think I was a a lot more ignorant than I am now.

You may be right about people not liking alternative perceptions of their reality, though. I can understand that fully. It's a weird subject and I think it may be a case of people being interested in this kind of experience and people who simply aren't, but that's not to say there's anything inherently wrong with the drug - just the way people approach them, perhaps.

Last edited:
Psychedelics are not for everyone. I used to think so, but I have seen some people who react really badly to them. They're not toys, though they can be tons of fun, and I have no sort of belief that they're sacraments that you're abusing by using outside of a ritualistic setting or anything like that. I use them these days mostly for recreation, but with the understanding that they're also seriously powerful tools that can do a lot of harm as well as a lot of good.

Ultimately, if you feel like you're not ready for psychedelics, or if you feel like you don't have the mind for them, you should not use them, because if nothing else, that fear and expectation of a bad time can very easily lead to a bad time. Your friends should stop being asshats and quit trying to peer pressure you.

If you do decide to do them ever, make sure your set and setting are good. That is, make sure you're in a good place, feeling good about it and life, and equally if not more importantly, make sure your environment is good. 1 or 2 close friends, no unexpected things, no trying to hide it from anyone, no responsibilities that are going to get in the way. Taking them with a bunch of people is a recipe for anxiety and bad trip territory, as is taking them in an uncontrolled environment (like a party, at your parents' house, out in public, etc).

And if you decide to do them, do it because YOU want to, not because someone else wants you to. :)

Last edited:
How good are your friends? Nobody can tell you, how you will react. Trying to peer pressure someone into doing things, that could have real serious effects, is no good. Chances are you will have a good, miserable or something between time.

Will your friends stay with you and take care, if its too much for you? Do they care as much about you, that they will call an ambulance, risk criminal charges, family problems etc, because they wont let you down in a difficult situation?

I dont want to scare you, but as mentioned above, besides a good mindset, its important to be around people you can trust.

Not for everyone. I believe psychedelics are for people with enough curiosity to experience them. It is normal to have some fear towards them and to doubt about your own mind stability. A benzodiazepine in your pocket can give you the needed security to confront it, always nice to have a plan B. To do it in a relax and control environment, as well as starting low will reduce most adverse reactions. Do yourself a favour and avoid parties until you have tested the waters.
I just will make sure you don't take the step because of social pressure, though there is definitely a side of rite de passage in first experiences with psychedelics, and that has a lot to do with the social groups and our sense of belonging.

Hi Babar420,

Quite a few books on psychedelics say, "Psychedelics are not for everyone." I appreciate you asking the question though! Framing your question this way suggests to me, though, that part of you might not want to take psychedelics [right now].

You mention that you are torn, personally. You are curious, but you also do not want to cause harm if things go wrong.

I say, 'listen to every perspective.' I believe in letting all thoughts and emotions have a voice. I welcome as many opinions and perspectives to "the council" of my mind as possible (I even try to regain attitudes and perspectives lost to my childhood). When the thought nudged me, "I am scared of taking psychedelics," I let that voice have equal weight as my critical attitude, my logical reasoning persona, or my adventurous self. I did not try to silence it. I sought to understand and address this beautiful aspect of my personality that was concerned about confusion. I formed inner alliances. I gave things time. I discussed it within myself until I came to a consensus that the various voices in my mind could reasonably accept.

I turned to psychedelics when I needed healing from an existential trauma. I was dislocated from my community and identity. Something in my bones felt that psychedelics could help me. I had a couple of bad reactions to small amounts cannabis; but other psychedelics turned out very well for me.

Peace.

There are no good drugs and there are no bad drugs. All drugs have costs and benefits.

Last edited:
^ Good post, welcome. :)

Yeah it's worth saying that for many people cannabis causes more anxiety than many psychedelics, or at least it can. However, when things go south with psychedelics it's a lot harder to deal with. Usually that has to do with setting (ie, at a party, or with someone you're not comfortable with, or because you're trying to hide it from someone, or just because there is too much going on). Or, for some people, letting go of their sense of control is very difficult. Cannabis is a powerful drug, which in itself can cause anxiety for no particular reason. But psychedelics reach much deeper, so if something is uncovered and you are unable to deal with it or face it, things can get very intense and feel very negative.

Ultimately, I'd say that you should only use psychedelics if you're very curious about it and seek them out for your own reasons. Part of the whole process is arriving at that conclusion and deciding to take that step. My first trip was with 4 people, 3 of whom I was close with, and one of whom I didn't know well or really like all that much. We tripped in a dorm room, kind of controlled environment but kind of not, for example a girl we knew who had sold us the mushrooms came by, and was sober, and it got kinda weird for a minute. I happened to have a transcendental, life-changing experience despite this, even though one of the guys (the guy I didn't know or like so much) was kinda freaking out. Other people freaking out can cause a chain reaction among the inexperienced, or even among the experienced sometimes. But I believe I was really ready for such an experience because I independently really wanted to see what it was all about. My personality meshes well with psychedelics. Not everyone's does.

It's cool that you've had experiences with MDMA, that's something, but MDMA is a totally different experience from real psychedelics. MDMA has this intense positive push, socializing is easy. But socializing on psychedelics can be very awkward or difficult. Honestly I would never recommend a first trip going solo on it, just because something could happen and you want to have someone else there to help ground you and deal with anything that might happen if you start to get anxious and scared, but after my initial trips, I went through a long period of just tripping by myself, laying back with eyes closed listening to music, no social dynamics to deal with. It taught me a lot about myself, and gradually I began to feel comfortable enough with it to go into social situations. That period of solo tripping was really important to me, but by then I knew I could handle my shit, and what I was trying to work out was personal stuff that had nothing to do with other people. These days I have no issues, I am very comfortable with trips even among people I don't know who are not part of the trip, or in random party sitautions or music festivals or the like, but it took working through a lot of difficult moments with myself, by myself, to get there. Putting yourself into intense social situations for a first time is not recommended, it takes time to get there. For me it did at least.

If you do happen to try them, try to have a good setting, with just 1, 2, maybe 3 very close and trusted friends. If you like it, and get something from it, then psychedelics may be something that you could benefit from and you can explore further.

If you have control issues (if people describe you as a "control freak" for example), it might be a good idea to be very careful with psychedelics. My ex had her only really strong trip on DMT and she really freaked out and had some lasting negative effects from it, but she was a massive control freak, and the total lack of control of a strong psychedelic experience really made her feel a terrible sense of panic and impending doom and I think it left a negative mark on her in the long-term (which I feel bad about).

Last edited:
Psychedelics arnt for everyone - they probably arn't even good for most people. I don't believe the idea that they had in the 60s "Give everyone LSD and the world will be a beautiful place". LSD tends to turn up the volume on aspects of your personality that are already there. If you're a sensitive gentle guy you'll feel sensitive and gentle feelings. If you're an arsehole you'll feel what arseholes feel.

^^ Agreed.

Sup Ismene? I was just wondering where you'd gotten to earlier today.

Been a while Xorkoth, rather downbeat few months to be honest but I'm slowly feeling more upbeat. Hope to pop in a bit more often. Hope you're ok.

Thank you everyone for your input. It's all been really helpful. The thing is, I am so damn curious about psychedellics, I just think maybe I'm not ready for them. I am pretty neurotic as it is and a very deep thinker. I have always defined my mind as acidic lol because when I'm sober it's what I would imagine the mind of someone on psychedellics. I also have somewhat of an anxiety/depression disorder, however, I have always been very good at navigating my way out of it which I feel could be a plus if things ever went south during a trip. For example, just the other night I was hit with sudden dispair to the point where it was comparable to feelings of losing a close family member. I just sat on the floor and kept telling myself it's all in my head and there's nothing wrong and I was fine within a few hours. Sorry for all the personal info I just feel the need to be as detailed as possible so the people answering my question can give a less broad answer.

My friends always peer pressure me to try LSD or Shrooms and I always say no because I am scared that I just don't have the right kind of mind for it.

This is very inconsiderate of them, you need to tell your friends that which drugs you take is your decision, not theirs.

Psychedelics are not for everyone, as has been made clear. You should not try psychedelics unless / until you feel very confident about doing so. If there is more work you need to do on yourself before you feel ready, then do that first.

You seem to be very self aware, and you have observed some possible red flags in your personality that might make a psychedelic experience difficult. This is very wise of you. For what it's worth, I suggest that you hold off on psychedelics for the time being. We all change as we get older, and if you give yourself time to feel at least little more stable, you will be very glad you did.