• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Are opioids/opiates known to cause liver damage?

Forever Changes

Bluelighter
Just wondered because my last liver function test showed I had some elevated liver enzymes. I've done a search and I can't find much info about opioid effects on the liver. For the record I rarely drink

No. Opiates are not toxic to the liver, or any other organ for that matter. There are many possible reasons for elevated liver enzymes, and since you say you rarely drink, you might want to seek further advice from your doctor.

Do you take otc medication such as statins or painkillers containing acetaminophen or paracetamol -? Those can be a factor , as can a diet very high in fats.

Last edited:
No, at least not traditional/known opioids used in medicine (basically everything except RC opioids). Even heroin is quite neutral on the organs.

Unexpected liver issues, other than obvious stuff like alcohol/drugs, are most commonly caused by dietary problems, supplements, vitamins, herbs/plants, or unfortunate genetics.

(at least from what I've seen, obligatory I'm not a doctor)

No. Opiates are not toxic to the liver, or any other organ for that matter. There are many possible reasons for elevated liver enzymes, and since you say you rarely drink, you might want to seek further advice from your doctor.

Do you take otc medication such as statins or painkillers containing acetaminophen or paracetamol -? Those can be a factor , as can a diet very high in fats.

no I try to avoid paracetemol because I know it's harsh on the liver. I had started a course of amitriptyline and wonder if it was a side effect of that. OTOH it could just be poor diet

no I try to avoid paracetemol because I know it's harsh on the liver. I had started a course of amitriptyline and wonder if it was a side effect of that. OTOH it could just be poor diet
I've been on amitriptyline, it can cause slight elevation in some people, but this is generally nothing to be concerned about. Occasionally there isn't even any specific cause, for instance I've had consistently elevated levels of bilirubin which preceded my drinking, and tests done at the time showed healthy liver function and no clinical abnormalities.

You didn't say how elevated your levels were, but if your doctor does not consider it significant enough to warrant further investigation , I shouldn't worry unduly.

Ive heard kratom can but have never verified claim from reputable source.
There are documented cases of severe hepatoxicity after kratom, usually in combination with alcohol, that develops after just a few days of use.

It's exceedingly rare, though, and likely has some uncommon genetic factor involved.

Kratom has several dozen alkaloids and it's ultimately likely to be one of the non-opioid ones that cause this... or a combination, not sure. Kratom leaves also contain considerable amounts of various vitamins and other things which may be a factor.

Cause is still undetermined.

I don't think there are any reports of hepatoxicity from mitragynine/7-OH-M itself, only bulk leaf powder.