• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Are my prescribed drugs messing with my recreational drugs?

Sweet Jane78

Bluelighter
So I’m on a plethora of prescription drugs for Major Depressive Disorder and Generalized Anxiety. (Hence mental health and drug abuse tendencies) I’m aware that my recreational drug use will interfere with the effectiveness of the prescribed stuff. I’m curious to know about the flip side. Do my prescribed meds mess with the effectiveness of my recreational drugs? I’m thinking probably so, but am posting this to see what y’all have to say.

Prescribed: Lorazepam (anti-anxiety)
Citalopram (depression)
Risperidone (anti-psychotic)
Lamotrigine (mood stabilizer)
Eszopiclone (sleep)
Bupropion (depression)

Recreational: Meth, Cannabis, Mushrooms, MDMA, Coke

Yeah.. how long have you been doing recreational stimulants with pretty much all the desirable effects either muted or completely absent? Citalopram is also going to reduce Mdma to pretty much nothing

Bupropion, eszopiclone (though taking it within ~12 hours of psychedelics may be asking for trouble depending on dosage), and lamotrigine should not be messing with the listed drugs.

Risperidone at the very least usually blocks stimulants like coke and meth (Dopamine antagonist), most of the effects of MDMA (Serotonin antagonist/inverse agonist), and psilocybin (5HT2A inverse agonist).

Citalopram is an SSRI, and therefore would likely block the effects of mushrooms. It also should not be taken with MDMA due to the unpredictability of this combination.

Lorazepam would reduce the effects of muushrooms, but skipping a dose or two would prevent this if it weren't for the other medications.

I'm not sure about cannabis, and this may be the only one that can be taken safely and without being blocked by one of the medications. But I'd honestly suggest avoiding any recreational drugs (including alcohol) while you already have this many substances in your bloodstream.

Last edited:
Yeah.. how long have you been doing recreational stimulants with pretty much all the desirable effects either muted or completely absent? Citalopram is also going to reduce Mdma to pretty much nothing
I’ve been on an antidepressant of some kind or another for 20 years. This cocktail for probably the last 5 years or so. So maybe I just haven’t gotten the full effects all this time. It’s still been good, though. Yeah, except the last time I did MDMA I started thinking heavy shit and cried. Ugh

Bupropion, eszopiclone (though taking it within ~12 hours of psychedelics may be asking for trouble depending on dosage), and lamotrigine should not be messing with the listed drugs.

Risperidone at the very least blocks stimulants like coke and meth (Dopamine antagonist), most of the effects of MDMA (Serotonin antagonist/inverse agonist), and psilocybin (5HT2A inverse agonist).

Citalopram is an SSRI, and therefore would likely block the effects of mushrooms. It also should not be taken with MDMA due to the unpredictability of this combination.

Lorazepam would reduce the effects of muushrooms, but skipping a dose or two would prevent this if it weren't for the other medications.

I'm not sure about cannabis, and this may be the only one that can be taken safely and without being blocked by one of the medications. But I'd honestly suggest avoiding any recreational drugs (including alcohol) while you already have this many substances in your bloodstream.
You are quite knowledgeable. I appreciate your input. Life would be so much less enjoyable without the fun drugs, though.
🤔😠😔

When I read risperidone, it gave me goosebumps....
That shit blocks all stimulants.
I’ve read that it does too, though my girlfriend takes 4-8 mg of respiridone a day, and her prescribed vyvanse still works fine, she hasn’t done meth ina long time, but that worked fine for her too. Isn’t that wierd?

Though the respiridone does block all the effects of psychedelics for her (mushrooms, lsd, mescaline, ect.)

Risperidone at the very least blocks stimulants like coke and meth (Dopamine antagonist), most of the effects of MDMA (Serotonin antagonist/inverse agonist), and psilocybin (5HT2A inverse agonist).

Best answer for sure op.

So I’m on a plethora of prescription drugs for Major Depressive Disorder and Generalized Anxiety. (Hence mental health and drug abuse tendencies) I’m aware that my recreational drug use will interfere with the effectiveness of the prescribed stuff. I’m curious to know about the flip side. Do my prescribed meds mess with the effectiveness of my recreational drugs? I’m thinking probably so, but am posting this to see what y’all have to say.

Prescribed: Lorazepam (anti-anxiety)
Citalopram (depression)
Risperidone (anti-psychotic)
Lamotrigine (mood stabilizer)
Eszopiclone (sleep)
Bupropion (depression)

Recreational: Meth, Cannabis, Mushrooms, MDMA, Coke

Yes, risperidone itself will block most of the effect from all of those drugs other than cannabis.

bupropion and lamotrigine also have potential to interact dangerously

depending on how long you've been taking risperidone it may take several days or potentially a couple weeks to clear the system

You are quite knowledgeable. I appreciate your input. Life would be so much less enjoyable without the fun drugs, though.
🤔😠😔
there are still some drugs you can enjoy

I was still able to enjoy adderall while on risperidone, but not meth

you can do other drugs like dissos or GABAergic drugs without any issue, and cannabis

I’ve read that it does too, though my girlfriend takes 4-8 mg of respiridone a day, and her prescribed vyvanse still works fine, she hasn’t done meth ina long time, but that worked fine for her too. Isn’t that wierd?

Though the respiridone does block all the effects of psychedelics for her (mushrooms, lsd, mescaline, ect.)
Idk man, but in rehab I've seen ppl with tremors and looking like zombies from that shit.

Odd, but antipsychotics blocking stimulants seems to be the least consistent of what I listed according to a quick search. I do know someone who used to be on prescription amphetamine and much lower dosages of risperidone. I believe he had issues with the amphetamine working correctly, though he has encountered this without the risperidone as well.
I’ve been on an antidepressant of some kind or another for 20 years. This cocktail for probably the last 5 years or so. So maybe I just haven’t gotten the full effects all this time. It’s still been good, though. Yeah, except the last time I did MDMA I started thinking heavy shit and cried. Ugh
Eszopiclone for 5 years? I'm hoping that hasn't been daily. It can cause come problems over time and generally is supposed to be used for a maximum of 6 months. Would suggest attempting to replace this one with something like cannabis if at all possible.

And to correct my earlier reply, while I would not suggest combining cocaine with bupropion or SSRIs due to increased toxicity, the risperidone may not block it or the methamphetamine as @polarthedog pointed out.

there are still some drugs you can enjoy

I was still able to enjoy adderall while on risperidone, but not meth

you can do other drugs like dissos or GABAergic drugs without any issue, and cannabis
Thanks. Do they just sell adderall on the street? I won’t be able to get it prescribed.
The other drugs you mentioned I don’t know anything about. Please clue me in.

Thanks. Do they just sell adderall on the street? I won’t be able to get it prescribed.
The other drugs you mentioned I don’t know anything about. Please clue me in.
Lamotrigine would likely reduce the effects of dissociatives to some extent, though they may still be usable. Avoid DXM at all costs (combination with Wellbutrin or SSRIs is easily lethal, let alone both. I unfortunately have personal experience with the former and am lucky to have stayed out of the hospital) but ketamine should be fine. I wouldn't be adding more GABA drugs when you're already taking two (Lorazepam and Eszopiclone).

Street adderall is available but can be pretty sketchy. Really depends on where you live. A college town will definitely have it and it may be actual Adderall but will likely be a bit pricey - especially in the month before midterms & final exams.

Odd, but antipsychotics blocking stimulants seems to be the least consistent of what I listed according to a quick search. I do know someone who used to be on prescription amphetamine and much lower dosages of risperidone. I believe he had issues with the amphetamine working correctly, though he has encountered this without the risperidone as well.

Eszopiclone for 5 years? I'm hoping that hasn't been daily. It can cause come problems over time and generally is supposed to be used for a maximum of 6 months. Would suggest attempting to replace this one with something like cannabis if at all possible.

And to correct my earlier reply, while I would not suggest combining cocaine with bupropion or SSRIs due to increased toxicity, the risperidone may not block it or the methamphetamine as @polarthedog pointed out.
Yeah? Only 6 months? Why would they even keep prescribing it, then?
Ok. Thanks
I’ve got a lot to be thinking about now with all this information. 😐

Lamotrigine would likely reduce the effects of dissociatives to some extent, though they may still be usable. Avoid DXM at all costs (combination with Wellbutrin or SSRIs is easily lethal, let alone both. I unfortunately have personal experience with the former and am lucky to have stayed out of the hospital) but ketamine should be fine. I wouldn't be adding more GABA drugs when you're already taking two (Lorazepam and Eszopiclone).

Street adderall is available but can be pretty sketchy. Really depends on where you live. A college town will definitely have it and it may be actual Adderall but will likely be a bit pricey - especially in the month before midterms & final exams.
So Ketamine, then, huh? Is that only found street side? I only have one regular guy I buy from and that’s for meth. I have no idea how to go about finding other connections. I guess asking him would be a decent start. Otherwise, 🤷‍♀️