• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Are Microsoft Products really that bad?

I reformat about once a year. My old computer (950 mhz overclocked) gets a format when it starts to slow down. Actually it starts to slow down the second i install over 15 programs. Hopefully my now Athlon Xp computer that i'm building won't need so many formats.

I find Defraging just doesent cut it. i defrag every couple of days or every week with diskkeeper 8.0 Registry cleaners and system suites don't speed you up that much, I've use many brands of speed-up programs (over 100) and most don't work as well as a format.

Formats are required on a computer with limited speed, HD space and memory. I think my new pc will be fast enough without formating the bloat and corrupt registy off.

Formating my new pc will be harder it has a 120gb HD and itwill be hard to back all that stuff up once i begin to fill it

Finder said:
Anyone who says their Windows machine runs just as well as the first day they fired it up is full of shit.

I beg to differ... my windows xp box is 2 years old, still on the original install and I can't remember the last crash I had. That all said, I'm very careful about what I install. The only issues I ever have are with the occasional beta version .

Can anyone point a finger to useful linux information sites, as well as a conversion from windows to linux for your average computer user? ACtually, im probably below average now, but would like to learn some more.

Charlie Brown said:
That is just a ridiculous way to run a computer.

tell that to microsoft, because that is the official microsoft solution to how to fix your computer when it slows down.

don't ask them why though, because that's not a problem they care to solve.

ashaman said:
Can anyone point a finger to useful linux information sites, as well as a conversion from windows to linux for your average computer user? ACtually, im probably below average now, but would like to learn some more.
PM absentminded. If I recall correctly, he wrote a windows to linux help guide.

galahan said:
I reformat about once a year. My old computer (950 mhz overclocked) gets a format when it starts to slow down. Actually it starts to slow down the second i install over 15 programs. Hopefully my now Athlon Xp computer that i'm building won't need so many formats.

I find Defraging just doesent cut it. i defrag every couple of days or every week with diskkeeper 8.0 Registry cleaners and system suites don't speed you up that much, I've use many brands of speed-up programs (over 100) and most don't work as well as a format.

Formats are required on a computer with limited speed, HD space and memory. I think my new pc will be fast enough without formating the bloat and corrupt registy off.

Formating my new pc will be harder it has a 120gb HD and itwill be hard to back all that stuff up once i begin to fill it

break it up in smaller partitions..

I wont go into a big microsoft sucks argument or anything, as im tired of them. I use Linux on all my machines, and BSD flavors when thats not an option.

What i wanted to mention, is that all the Open Source stuff is not just an alternative to MS... it is a philosophy and model that is very beneficial. Openness is agood thing.

^^ hehe I was going to post it in here, but I was going for a more informative angle than a windows bashing one ;)

just to clarify - im not bashing, i use windows. but i do know that its far from perfect.

Windows code leaked
Kate Mackenzie and wires
FEBRUARY 13, 2004
MICROSOFT has confirmed that portions of its Windows 2000 source code have been leaked over the internet, as speculation grows about the ramifications of the incident and the contents of the file.

An early statement from Microsoft called the report that code for both Windows 2000 and its predecessor Windows NT was a "rumour" which was "based on the speculation of an individual who saw a small section of un-identified code and thought it looked like Windows code".

However a short time later, Microsoft issued a statement saying it had "aware that incomplete portions of the Windows 2000 source code were illegally made available on the internet".

"We are currently investigating the illegitimate posting and are working with the appropriate law enforcement authorities," the statement said.

Microsoft does not know how much of the code had been leaked or how many people may have gained access to it. The company could not immediately pinpoint the source of the leak, but said there was "no indication" it was a breach of Microsoft's own security.

The company was at pains to point out that governments, companies, developers and universities from around the world have had access to some Windows source code under Microsoft's "Shared Source" initiative during the past three years.

The leaked source code files are believed to be only about 660MB - a fraction of the total volume of Windows code.

Nevertheless, news of the leak spread like wildfire around the internet technical community, with iconic tech news website Slashdot receiving in excess of 2000 postings about the incident within a few hours of mentioning it.

Unconfirmed reports about the contents of the source code file, which is believed to be about 200MB, abounded on the internet. One claimed that comments in the code made references such as "potentially off-by-1, but who cares..." and that various profanities also appeared.

There were more outlandish claims about the code - such as one which said there were references to the GNU General Public Licence, which is widely used in open source software.

Some observers have speculated that it could be a hoax, or even a deliberate attempt by Microsoft to discredit the open source movement by simultaneously planing Windows source code into Linux in order to launch a SCO-style legal attack on its open source nemesis.

Australian security expert Matt Barrie, who heads Sensory Networks, said there had been numerous instances of parts of Windows source code posted over the internet, dating back to at least 1997.

"There's been other software too, like Cisco's IOS - anything you can think of is out there."

Some analysts said Microsoft's Shared Source and other source code initiatives meant it wasn't too surprising for such a leak to occur at some point — either intentionally or unintentionally.

"It seems unlikely this is going to create a material, significant security problem, said Rob Enderle, a technology expert and principal analyst with the Enderle Group. "It's more embarrassing than anything else because it makes it look like Microsoft can't control its code."

Although the release of the source code could have security ramifications, the effect of the leak is likely to hit Microsoft's own reputation much harder than it will affect Windows users.

Daniel Zatz of Computer Associates as it appeared to be only a small portion of the source code, Microsoft's main problem could be a public relations disaster.

"For example if people find holes in Windows 2000 that should've been fixed as part of (Microsoft's) trustworthy computing intiative, obviously there'll be some backpedalling from Microsoft," he said.

Mr Zatz also said the publicity around the leak meant there was a risk the leak could spark a new round of email viruses and worms using social engineering tactics to target more tech-savvy users.

"The IT community are generally fairly security-savvy and wouldn't (open infected emails), but the fact that it's the geeks that will be looking for the code," he said.

Link

Why does my XP machine run with out crashing/getting hacked/etc.

Why do I never loose documents using office?

Answer I know how to use my PC correctly.

MS do make some good software.

Where they go wrong is convincing plebs they have the know how to use them properly.
If you make it look simple people belive they understand the complexitys of a huge product like office or XP.
In most MS apps there is a 101 different ways to do everything also leading to confusion. But this is more power to the user.

Bottom line is if you understand the concepts then you don't have the problems.

It just seems cool to hate them. Like when people used to use that buggy slow monstrosity Netscape just to avoid using a MS browser lmao.

I don't think they are wonderful don't get me wrong but people like to slate as if 98 where still the current OS.

If you are running 2000/Xp and you experience regular crashes then I'd look at your PSU/heatsink/drivers before I'd blame MS. These are more likely bet and would still crashes your PC even with linux.

I run linux for server tasks and it does that well but there is plenty of buggy shitty software for linux to.

Windows wins hands down for my desktop, IE is smoother and just as quick as ugly browsers like Mozzila on my PC. Badly coded pages even display correctly ;) novelty for Mozzila users.

Linux Source code leaked shock horror.

Expect new viruses and hacks now that evil crackers have access to the code

lmao ;)

Johny boy your post above the linux source one hit the nail on the head imo

Johny Boy... you should check out MozillaFirebird (or FireFox as they call it now). It's pretty slick, and small, and fast, and has tabbed browsing. And now comes with free 80's Clint Eastwood :D

wtf is tabbed browsing? is that like multiple sites in the same window or something? i have this handy thing called the "task bar" that i use to switch between my IE windows 8o

^^^Tabbed browsing is where you can view multiple web pages in 1 window, but unbder different tabs. You select between tabs, instead of windows. It keeps the task bar clean, because you only have 1 instance of the browser open.

And Firebird has a very very good set of useful keyboard shortcuts as well. It's a shame it is a little slow to load up.

And, to the people who were talking about re-installing Windows: I used to reinstall mine once every few months. I haven't done it now thou for around 8 months, and, although it desperately needs it, I havent got the time because I am relying on it to do my uni work. I refuse to install the latest patch, or, any more patches for that matter because I cannot afford for it to grind to a halt - as I expect it probably will upon the installation of a few more patches. My Windows directory is now 2.5Gigs! And thats more than double what it was from a fresh install!