• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Are joints just as effective as vaporizers?

alpha_centauri

Bluelighter
I used to know this guy who claimed that smoking a joint is just as effective as a vaporizer is because the joint burns at a high temp, and the herb gets vaporized. Is this even true? It doesn't seem to make sense to me since then smoking herb in a pipe would also be like this since if there's a lot of herb in the bowl once you light it and inhale it keeps burning, and joints and pipes produce smoke.

I'm not sure if this guy preferred joints to vapes because of the high and other cannabinoids you get from smoking when if you vape correctly you only get THC, because he'd usually smoke herb in public or while driving and didn't want to get caught with a vape or other paraphernalia, or what his reasoning was? He did said that there was a MAPS study done that claimed that smoking a joint is just as effective as vaping though.

That MAPS study is old & they used the worst vaporizers around... here it is... http://www.maps.org/news-letters/v06n3/06359mj1.html

They say "Surprisingly, the unfiltered joint outperformed all devices except the vaporizers", it beats pipes & bongs, but not vaporizers.

I think their reasoning was that resin sticks to pipes & you lose a lot of thc that way because it condenses out of the smoke as it cools, at a faster rate than tars & other toxins, and this is a worse problem with water cooled bongs. They seem to acknowledge their vaporizers weren't ideal & a better one could be the best solution.

Last edited:
its a different kind of high imo

actually smoking weed hits you immediately and is a lot more sedative. you have the physical cue of the intense trauma the smoke brings to your lungs that tells you "hey man, you just got high"

when you use a vaporizer, there is almost no physical sensation when you inhale. you might feel a slight tingle or something to that effect, but it's so faint you dont even realize you are stoned until about 5 minutes later when you stop and realize "whoa man, im fucking stoned right now". especially if you smoke weed regularly and dont really think much of it when smoking. vaporizers would give me more of a mental high but at the same time it was still a weed high

vapes are certainly healthier for you but dont be fooled into thinking they are infallible. the vapor still leaves a bit of resin on wherever it goes so if you do it enough you will still experience some unhealthy effects.

of course, if you counter that with physical exercise, you wont really have any problems.

I just never really saw vapes as some miracle weed smoking device that did the opposite of what smoking does. As in, I didnt use a vape and get all hyped up to go do a bunch of sit ups or gain alertness or anything close to stimulating.

It was just a lot more subtle of a high and I didnt sink into the couch quite as bad. That's the best way I could describe vaporizes in every aspect in one word:

subtle

and this is just my personal opinion and everyone's different but I always found joints to be a waste of time

bongs>bubblers (just really small bongs if you think about it)> pipes/bowls>blunts>joints

of course it all depends on the situation, it is a thousand times easier to smoke a blunt in a car than a joint, and a million times easier than a bowl, and a BILLION times easier than I bong. maybe not that exponential of numbers but you get the idea

whoa, I dont even smoke weed anymore but I just went off about it. funny.

when I hear the word "effective" I think efficiency in terms of weed at least. Both a joint and a bong will effectively get you to the same level of stoned, but one might take more weed than the other... so both effective but one may be more efficient. just the way my mind thinks about it, so in these terms I would say a vaporizer would be more effective because the nice ones are really efficient and do not have hardly any waste, where as a joint will waste a lot of smoke.

I guess the other thing to consider is that a vaporizer and a joint will give you different highs. Depending on personal preference, one may be more effective at getting you to your preferred stoned, so I would suggest you try both of them out and see for yourself.

oh and if you're terrible at rolling joints you can waste a lot of weed this way. A joint that doesn't burn right will burn up a gram of weed in a matter of minutes, most of which will never hit your lungs. So it all really depends on the person and situation.

Joints and open bowl pipes are a waste of weed IMO, they continue to burn when no one is hitting it. I prefer 1 hitter bong hits. You get 100% of the toke, its not as harsh as it gets cooled. And the buzz is better. Your weed will last twice as long. Havent done the vapes much so dont know how those compare, but joints are a total waste of product to me.

Joints and bongs are less efficient because a lot of the active components of cannabis are destroyed through pyrolysis/combustion. Weed that's vaped (Oxford English dictionary's word of the year btw!) efficiently volatilizes cannabinoids and terpenes, giving you a better bang for your buck. Different vaporizers work differently with some using convection, others using conduction and some having an all glass vapor pathway but others not etc. So not all vaporizers are equal but vaping can be more effective than combustion, as well as being better for your lungs.

There are some fundamental problems with that old MAPS study which is outdated.