View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Are DXM trips different every time?

CrimpJiggler

Bluelighter
I wanted to experience the dissociative effects of DXM so I tried 400mg but only reached 2nd plateau, so the next day I drank 800mg over the course of an hour or two. As I was drinking the last bottle, I was extremely entertained watching this trippy music video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9n9tiEEFG0
then not long after finished my last bottle, the euphoria went away completely and I couldn't understand why I was even watching that video. I assumed this was the beginning of the 3rd plateau but the state I was in was pretty scary, I felt like I wouldn't be able to handle it if it got more intense. I went to the bathroom and vomitted out the contents of my stomach in hopes that I hadn't all been absorbed yet because I felt like I was going to die if it continued to intensify. You know that feeling you get when you go down a slope on a rollercoaster, I was getting that but for no apparent reason. That was what was scaring me most, my heart was racing like mad each time it happened. Then at one point I felt this pins and needles sensation start building up and within seconds it had completely covered my body, I had no idea what was going on, I was thinking "what the hell have I got myself into". I really wasn't that out of it, I was actually able to walk downstairs and get a drink but I was panicking for some reason, I can't remember if there was dysphoria but I was asking God to help me because the thought of remaining in that state was horrifying. It only lasted about 10 minutes, then the euphoria came back and I was back in a regular, non dissociative DXM trip.

Is this something that will happen every time I do a high dose of DXM, or are DXM trips highly variable? If that trip had gotten more intense, I don't know if I would have survived it because my heart was palpitating like mad and racing whenever that rollercoaster feeling came on. Is that just something I have to go through to get to the 3rd and 4th plateaus? I've experienced complete dissociation from taking decent hits of salvia before and there was no fear or panic at all, just amusement and awe at how my thoughts were rapidly turning alien and how reality was transforming, on DXM my thoughts didn't really go alien they were the same as they were in 2nd plateau. I'm gonna go for it again soon enough, this time I'll take 600mg and only drink more if I feel like I can handle it.

Any experienced DXM trippers here, do you get this rollercoaster feeling thing or other effects that make you wonder if you're about to die? If so, how do you deal with them so that you can go deeper into the trip?

strange cuz ive never had physical effects other than the weightlessness .. but obv others have .. and i think ive been to the 4th plateua
and i never had anything panic like except when i was in the company of authority , and still ive been around and having to talk to cops while tripping and felt more comfortable then if was sober ..

my trips vary , in that the visions are usually different , i think cuz whatever youre thinking about in the moment can turn into something visionary and new/unique

Hello!

Dex has nasty nausea associated with the come-up, and the come-up can range anywhere from 20 minutes to three hours. Usually when the come-up is noticeably longer the trip tends to begin rather suddenly when it does. Fast come-ups are associated with nausea and that roller coaster drop feeling; not uncommon to feel inconvenience, disorientation, confusion, feelings of impending doom and that pins and needles sensation in the skin during this. The red flushing and itching in the skin is caused by dilated blood vessels, at a guess. Ignore it at all cost for it goes away quickly.

You could try spacing the dosage out. Try taking 150mg every half hour until you're where you want to be. This lessens the stress of a sudden onset and eases you in. However I prefer dosing all at once and getting the nausea out of the way early since it seems nausea is an inherent part of the experience. But like the flushing skin it goes away quickly, however uncomfortable it may be during that initial period. Is it worth the discomfort? You'll have to decide, but I think it is. It's as if the trip adds a previously unnoticed layer to reality. I've heard some of the most beautiful pieces of music come from a box fan.

edit: The most interesting, not necessarily beautiful. Sounded like monks chanting a hymn in a stone room. Now the reason for my edit is "roller coaster" feeling is a bit ambiguous and could refer to vertigo or a sense of falling. When I say that "roller coaster" feeling is associated with fast come ups I really mean vertigo is associated with fast come ups. An actual feeling of falling is familiar during the beginning of the trip though, where I feel the floor becomes elastic and my weight melts through it.

Last edited:
Sounds like it was just too high a dosage maybe? You said you took 400mg before, and then 800mg this time, so of course the experiences are going to be different. Also at low-medium doses DXM is usually considered much more lighthearted and fun while at higher doses the intensity can sometimes throw that out of the window and the euphoria is more hit and miss because sometimes you can be tripping just too hard to feel it.

I've noticed the same with MXE and Ketamine too, lower doses are more plain euphoric, higher doses are more for relaxing and exploring the depths of ones mind :D

You took 400mg one day and doubled your dose the very next day. You're not going to get the effects you want this way. You got paranoid and probably had a mild panic attack.

The experiences of a 1st or 2nd plateau trip are a lot more lighthearted and 'fun' than a 3rd or 4th. You sound like you had no idea what to expect, maybe you should research what you're in for more thoroughly in the future.

I've never had any bad experiences on DXM apart from an aversion to drinking the syrup.

I wanted to experience the dissociative effects of DXM so I tried 400mg but only reached 2nd plateau, so the next day I drank 800mg over the course of an hour or two. As I was drinking the last bottle, I was extremely entertained watching this trippy music video:

then not long after finished my last bottle, the euphoria went away completely and I couldn't understand why I was even watching that video. I assumed this was the beginning of the 3rd plateau but the state I was in was pretty scary, I felt like I wouldn't be able to handle it if it got more intense. I went to the bathroom and vomitted out the contents of my stomach in hopes that I hadn't all been absorbed yet because I felt like I was going to die if it continued to intensify. You know that feeling you get when you go down a slope on a rollercoaster, I was getting that but for no apparent reason. That was what was scaring me most, my heart was racing like mad each time it happened. Then at one point I felt this pins and needles sensation start building up and within seconds it had completely covered my body, I had no idea what was going on, I was thinking "what the hell have I got myself into". I really wasn't that out of it, I was actually able to walk downstairs and get a drink but I was panicking for some reason, I can't remember if there was dysphoria but I was asking God to help me because the thought of remaining in that state was horrifying. It only lasted about 10 minutes, then the euphoria came back and I was back in a regular, non dissociative DXM trip.

Is this something that will happen every time I do a high dose of DXM, or are DXM trips highly variable? If that trip had gotten more intense, I don't know if I would have survived it because my heart was palpitating like mad and racing whenever that rollercoaster feeling came on. Is that just something I have to go through to get to the 3rd and 4th plateaus? I've experienced complete dissociation from taking decent hits of salvia before and there was no fear or panic at all, just amusement and awe at how my thoughts were rapidly turning alien and how reality was transforming, on DXM my thoughts didn't really go alien they were the same as they were in 2nd plateau. I'm gonna go for it again soon enough, this time I'll take 600mg and only drink more if I feel like I can handle it.

Any experienced DXM trippers here, do you get this rollercoaster feeling thing or other effects that make you wonder if you're about to die? If so, how do you deal with them so that you can go deeper into the trip?

I know this post is old and I'm not sure OP will be around anymore. But your experience sounds exactly what started happening to me several times toward the end days of my DXM binges. It started happening to me even after I quit doing dxm. I was doing dxm a couples times a week, for maybe 2 years and would get trips like these off and on. They some times wouldn't even be that crazy of trips, it was just this 'rollercoaster' feeling that would start in my stomach. I always compared it to the feeling of going up or down on an elevator really fast. And then suddenly I'd feel this burning sensation that would go from my toes (and this part is hard to describe) but it felt like the burning sensation was rotating in a circle, and some how 'comes back up' and starts tingling in my head and then goes away. And then i'm okay for 10 minutes and then another one of these episodes would happen. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what was happening during these trips. Some suggest you dosed too high, but I was dosing anywhere from 600-1,000mg several times a week and always had enlightening, great trips before this started happening repeatedly. So I don't think that's the problem. Some suggested it was just a panic attack and as a person who has legit anxiety/panic problems, this felt similiar but was more physical and quite different. I thought it was just me.

I believe I read somewhere that these feelings could be temporal lobe seizures. If anyone feels like chiming in on this subject, it would be nice to hear what knowlege people might have. I've been feeling like I need an enlightening experience, but I have since stopped tripping on dxm for a good 4 years now. I feel like I need a trip, but I am frightened of having one of these 'trips' again. Is there a jury out yet on what long term dxm abuse does to the brain? Could I be at risk taking another trip after having done so much to myself back in the day?

I noticed that bringing cannabis into the dxm experience always changed it into a completely different mind bending experience and I would often lose touch with my body and feel as though I was 'dying' when I mixed dxm with lots of cannabis. It was something I've never felt before and is too subjective to explain, but I could only ever reach this state with dxm if marijuana was in the mix.

I know this post is old and I'm not sure OP will be around anymore. But your experience sounds exactly what started happening to me several times toward the end days of my DXM binges. It started happening to me even after I quit doing dxm. I was doing dxm a couples times a week, for maybe 2 years and would get trips like these off and on. They some times wouldn't even be that crazy of trips, it was just this 'rollercoaster' feeling that would start in my stomach. I always compared it to the feeling of going up or down on an elevator really fast. And then suddenly I'd feel this burning sensation that would go from my toes (and this part is hard to describe) but it felt like the burning sensation was rotating in a circle, and some how 'comes back up' and starts tingling in my head and then goes away. And then i'm okay for 10 minutes and then another one of these episodes would happen. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what was happening during these trips. Some suggest you dosed too high, but I was dosing anywhere from 600-1,000mg several times a week and always had enlightening, great trips before this started happening repeatedly. So I don't think that's the problem. Some suggested it was just a panic attack and as a person who has legit anxiety/panic problems, this felt similiar but was more physical and quite different. I thought it was just me.

I believe I read somewhere that these feelings could be temporal lobe seizures. If anyone feels like chiming in on this subject, it would be nice to hear what knowlege people might have. I've been feeling like I need an enlightening experience, but I have since stopped tripping on dxm for a good 4 years now. I feel like I need a trip, but I am frightened of having one of these 'trips' again. Is there a jury out yet on what long term dxm abuse does to the brain? Could I be at risk taking another trip after having done so much to myself back in the day?

I noticed that bringing cannabis into the dxm experience always changed it into a completely different mind bending experience and I would often lose touch with my body and feel as though I was 'dying' when I mixed dxm with lots of cannabis. It was something I've never felt before and is too subjective to explain, but I could only ever reach this state with dxm if marijuana was in the mix.
You gotta smoke a little weed after taking dxm

@DeathIndustrial88 These are serotonergic symptoms you're describing but I can't relate to them personally... maybe purity of the product could be an issue?

Seconding the weed, DXM needs lots and lots of weed. DPH is neuro-protective as well in the context of DXM.

The "dying" is the lift from second plateau to third plateau. Weed extremely adds to the dissociation but isn't supposed to be the trigger of it..

I remember having horrific body effects from drinking 800mg in cough syrup. All that sugar and gunk made me sick as hell .. which on a high dose can come over as really strange warped feelings.

Never had any problems when I used pure powder. It used to be legal to buy and I bought 100g from the US and getting charged tax by customs. After I started using that the experience was considerably more pleasant.

@DeathIndustrial88 These are serotonergic symptoms you're describing but I can't relate to them personally... maybe purity of the product could be an issue?

Seconding the weed, DXM needs lots and lots of weed. DPH is neuro-protective as well in the context of DXM.

The "dying" is the lift from second plateau to third plateau. Weed extremely adds to the dissociation but isn't supposed to be the trigger of it..

They may have some sort of role coming from serotonin, but this happened to me whether I used syrups, pills, etc.. And I always made sure to use DXM only products. The feeling is very hard to describe because it was so subjective.

Regarding OP again, I have "died" and been reborn on DXM so many times. So many trips often made me feel like "shit this is it, I did something wrong and it's all about to come to an end" but it never did.

There's something about the metabolism of DXM that dosing it consecutive days results in like exponential high that you wouldn't get from the same dose on spread apart trips. not sure but i've read it around here.

I've had that panick heart racing bad trip effect on DXM. more likely with high doses but doesn't always happen. its scary i really though i was dying.