• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Are autistic people typically more drawn to NMDA antagonists than neurotypicals?

theprinceoflife

Greenlighter
Regarding the dissociation effect of NMDA antagonism, it helps disconnect people from their senses. Many autistic people experience hypersensitivity to sensory stimulation, and get overstimulated very easily due to this. As someone who has had many dissociative experiences, I could definitely understand an higher affinity/appeal for the effects if you are someone who is particularly sensitive to, well… the senses 🤔

Not me. I have an odd love/hate relationship with dissociatives. I do quite enjoy the disconnect, but at the same time I've always found them to be a little too "weird" for me. I have a difficult time explaining it. I've had some very negative experiences and overdoses which tipped my opinion to a minor dislike over the years.

MXE was the exception, that one is beyond amazing. I still enjoy ketamine... but I would reach for other drugs first. Benzos, opioids, etc.

I’m more of a psychopath, so not quite the neurotypical type, and I’m drawn to dissos because of the mystical and spiritual experience they provide me with. I just feel like I’m at home when I’m holing. My to go disso is DXM, but I recently messed with 3-ho-pcp and had a beautiful experience at a high dose.

I’ve always known that there is more to existence than this physical reality and dissos provided me with all the answers I ever needed. Ever since I was a kid, I was obsessed with the idea of leaving the physical form of existence in pursuit of something better and dissos do that for me. I never took life too seriously like most normies do. I may be going to jail soon (if I’m convicted) and it’s not bothering me much.

I'm not sure if that can be said broadly, but will confirm it is true in my case.

When there's been disturbance in neural arrangement it's advantageous to learn exactly what processes when where and how were displaced. That way meta-structures can be formed which enable mutated processes to function as previously intended. Dissociatives are excellent tools for that, though the re-experience of violently formative periods can trigger defense systems down to the immune system level.

It's convenient to be able to do all the work on the couch rather than have to arrange numerous hikes into nature on acid. And shutting down senses through meditative techniques is a bothersome ordeal in a fast-paced consumer culture.

I'm drawn to use dissociatives occasionally, but I think that this is primarily due to the positive medicinal effect it has on my PTSD & dissociation rather than anything to do with my autism.

I'm drawn to use dissociatives occasionally, but I think that this is primarily due to the positive medicinal effect it has on my PTSD & dissociation rather than anything to do with my autism.

I'm not autistic or on the spectrum as far as I know, and I don't believe that I am, but I have a strong affinity towards dissociatives.

For me it's similar. I have PTSD, chronic depression, generalized anxiety disorder. When I'm on a dissociative all of that "melts away" to an extent. I can still get intrusive thoughts about my trauma but on a dissociative I'm better able to process and address it. Sober I completely avoid thinking about things if I can. I've been able to do a lot of work on my trauma while on dissociatives

Fun fact: one general property of autism spectrum brains is that they, as opposed to common brains, are stronger internally connected than they are externally.

So I suppose that could mean that when the brain gets disconnected from body, there is a richer world to work with?

dissos are my fave class!!! i tried to write a book on them and got 45 pages deep in 2 months before i had a nasty dxm minibinge relapse and decided to stop working on it :+( yeaa but i loooove dissos the only drug id ever rate 10/10 is dmxe

Yes, in my case. At first dissos feel like they take away so much pain in such a clear and healthy fashion, but they can definitely take you to dark places when abused.

I think i would only recommend anyone doing dissociatives occasionally, but they do appear to have their benefit as a class overall for a lot of different reasons, so why not this as well?

I am a borderline autist. I am also an introvert with moderate level of social anxiety. Never actually liked dissociatives. Think I've tried K once or twice in my life, never in high dose. Did not like it at all. There is something related to it that I don't want to touch it ever, like a strong disgust. I share the same for opioids (which I also tried once or twice). Really really prefer MDMA to them. Or psychedelics, but not all of them, mushrooms are somewhat (weird enough) the same as K to me, L on the other hand I really like.