Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

are any Tryptamines legal in EU ?

JollyRoger85

Greenlighter
Hello,
In my country we have the following definition of Tryptamines

Tryptamines and beta-(benzofuran-3-yl)ethanamines

Any derivative of beta-(indol-3-yl)ethanamine or beta-(benzofuran-3-yl)ethanamine (except for serotonin, sumatriptan and zolmitriptan) which contains at least one substitute from rows "a", "b" and "c":

a) where hydrogen atom(s) on the benzene ring has (have) been replaced with one or several identical or different substitutes or substitutes, which form a cyclic structure supplementing the benzene ring;

b) where hydrogen atoms in the ethylene group have been replaced with a not-replaced or replaced alkyl group;

c) where one or two hydrogen atoms in the amino group have been replaced with a not-replaced or replaced alkyl group, or a nitrogen atom has been included in the cycle

If you know something about chemistry, are there any Tryps that don't fit the above description, i.e. making them legal to have?

Thanks!

which contains at least one substitute from rows "a", "b" and "c":

If we're interpreting the above sentence as: "It just needs to fulfill atleast one requirement from point a AND/OR b AND/OR c to be banned", and "replaced or not-replaced" as a bad auto-translation of "substituted or unsubstituted", then the law says the following:

* "beta-(indol-3-yl)ethanamine or beta-(benzofuran-3-yl)ethanamine" means they are banning not just "true" tryptamines (with the indol-3-yl core) but also their benzofuran analogues (two of these, called "5-MeO-DiBF" and "Dimemebfe", were sold as RC's a few years ago, but never caught on, since they were significantly weaker than their tryptamine parent drugs.

* Point a) basically means that any substitution on the benzene ring means the compound is illegal. Anything starting with 4-HO, 4-AcO, 4-MeO, 5-MeO, 4-PrO... is automatically banned. Even the methylenedioxy-substituted tryptamines from TIHKAL, which were never offered as RC's, would be banned. If they have to specifically make an exception for serotonin, you know they mean business.

* Point b) says that adding alkyl groups between the indole (the double ring system) and the nitrogen atom means the compound is automatically illegal. This rules out the psychedelic empathogen/stimulant, AMT (as well as its analogues, like AET or 5-MeO-AMT)

* Point c) means that adding alkyl groups on the amine nitrogen gets the compound banned. So DMT, DET, MET, MiPT... all banned. Ditto for Shulgin's "pyr-T" compounds, which replace the two alkyl groups by including the nitrogen in a ring (not that the pyr-t series produces desirable effects, anyway).
Aryl groups (phenyl) might be okay, but I am fairly certain these are inactive. You might be wondering about certain NBOMe-tryptamines which may be active as psychedelics, but don't get your hopes up: Since an N-benzyl group contains a methylene spacer between the nitrogen and the phenyl ring, it is just considered a substituted alkyl group, and therefore grounds for banning.

tl,dr: There are currently no tryptamines available that fit your definition, and I have a hard time imagining any that might be active without atleast an alkyl group on either the ethylene bridge (à la AMT) or two of them on the amine nitrogen (à la DMT, MiPT, etc.). Maybe someone could get away with replacing an alkyl group with a cycloalkyl group and claiming that cycloalkyls are "totally aren't substituted alkyl groups, strictly speaking", but I doubt it would be worth the effort and risk for them if they don't even know whether the resulting compound would actually be active at reasonable doses.

Thanks for the information, Hodor. That's too bad, I had big hopes for 4-AcO-DMT... well, looks like the EU/UN suck as much as most other countries in that way. :(