• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Arabic or Russian?

lojban.

in all seriousness, i think that arabic would serve a little better, just because it would seem that there's a larger amount of business conducted in the world in the arabic realm; i'm not entirely sure which would be better though. arabic has some interesting semantic rules to it! both involve learning a new alphabet; the cyrillic alphabet is a lot easier to get down than the arabic abjad though. i guess it really boils down to which you feel might suit your purposes more; do you plan to interact with more people who know russian, or more people who know arabic? you shouldn't learn a language unless a.) you're addicted to learning (like myself), in which case, i say learn both, or, b.) you have an actual purpose to. it may not be the most serious purpose in the world, but that doesn't change the fact that there's a reason. these are only my thoughts though. ymmv.

Russian! But my answer is bias man i have a lot of russian friends an was always intrested in going to russia. Last month i picked up a Russian for Dummies and Russian/English dictionary to start learning. Ive made little progress. Also, dont let the cyrillic alphabet deter ya from learning the language it just takes some time to get used to the letters. If English is the only language you know that it might be a bit harder. Im bilingual so learning a 3rd language seems easier.

But how about you learn both? Just start with one and go to the next. It'll take a while but go for it. Also, dont buy that rosetta stone crap. Its all marketing and way over priced. If you are set on learning you will do it without having to spend a shit load of money.

Are you interested in learning a language for job or business opportunities? I would think about going with any BRIC language (Brazil, Russia, India, China; languages of the countries with emerging economies). If you want languages of countries that have strained diplomatic relations with the US, then Arabic, Russian, Chinese, etc. for the kinds of jobs that would offer.

^Yeah man good point i cant remember what article i read on the BRIC countries with their economies but i think it said that by the year 2050 they will be the largest economies in the world. I mean that is 35 years away an alot can happen but even before then business opportunities will surface way before that an knowing one of those languages will give you an advantage for sure.

Arabic for various reasons. But I live in an area with a lot of Russians and Ukrainians, so it's a common language here.

Do you speak more than one language?? I think the average person has approximately 2-3 years of living in an arabic country to learn it... I don't know about Russian but it takes a lot to learn languages. I tutor German grad students and I have a good group now verbally but their writing is just terrible... I also speak Farsi fluently and interpret that, writing in farsi takes me a lot longer but I picked it up from neighbors because the Nasreen, the mom had a grandmother from Germany so she started teaching me farsi but kids pick languages quick. I am proficient in French, Spanish and Italian (lowest SAT II was 723 in Italian). It takes effort and there is a major difference between proficient and fluent. I speak the other 3 with a German accent so I sound like the Terminator... but I was raised bilingual so I know how hard it is for people to learn them. Interpreting in Farsi was lucrative and I can understand Dari a little but it is rough.

depends on your field of interest really... better is a relative term so you have to give a little more info on that.

learning a new language can be more difficult if you start with little knowledge of language in the first place, or a mother tongue that is far away from your target. for instance, for me, anything remotely connected to latin is far easier to grasp than arabic...