• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Treatment Approximate chance of Wellbutrin seizures?

nancy145

Bluelighter
I'm going to start taking Wellbutrin soon, and I'm somewhat worried about the seizures. I do want to try it because it looks promising to treat one of my conditions, but I also want to know what I'm getting into. I also take Adderall (25 mg) and caffeine (currently 300-600 mg but I'm cutting down to just a cup of coffee, maybe two, when I start Wellbutrin), which I know increases the risk of seizures. I don't currently drink. I also take lamictal (75 mg) which decreases the risk. Ive never had a seizure as well. I know with all these variables I can't get an exact number, but what's the approximate chance?

I don't think anyone has the exact answer, as you alluded to.

You don't drink, never had a seizure, take lamictal - all things on your side.

I'm on lamictal too, and have been on wellbutrin in the past. I'd say, honestly, cut out the caffeine. Adderall and wellbutrin stack up, as wellbutrin is sort of off label for ADHD and they both give you energy.

I don't have ADHD, I have some disorder that no ones been able to diagnose yet but it causes an extreme lack of energy and motivation to the point where I spend more time than not laying around doing nothing because I'm completely drained (no phone, no computer, literally nothing). Stimulants have been the only effective drugs at treating it so far. I'm hopeful Wellbutrin will help, but I'm starting at a low dose and working my way up so i doubt it'll do anything soon. If it does help I might cut out the caffeine, but as of now I really need it. To give a bit of a picture, I used to be on 60 mg of Adderall a day, which allowed me to stay active all day, but that's obviously not medically sustainable so now I'm on 25, which isn't enough to treat my disorder.

I'm going to start taking Wellbutrin soon, and I'm somewhat worried about the seizures. I do want to try it because it looks promising to treat one of my conditions, but I also want to know what I'm getting into. I also take Adderall (25 mg) and caffeine (currently 300-600 mg but I'm cutting down to just a cup of coffee, maybe two, when I start Wellbutrin), which I know increases the risk of seizures. I don't currently drink. I also take lamictal (75 mg) which decreases the risk. Ive never had a seizure as well. I know with all these variables I can't get an exact number, but what's the approximate chance?

Everyone's metabolism and chemistry is different, so I don't know how helpful anecdotal examples are. I've been on Wellbutrin for nearly twenty years and vary my dose between 300-600mg and i have occasionally moved all the way up to 750--way above recommended dosing. I also take abilify, varying 2-6mg--it is a dopamine agonist and i take synthetic thyroid and i am prescribed vyvanse 60mg(an amphetamine). Over the twenty years I have been on Wellbutrin, I have gone long periods where I drank excessively heavily on a daily basis, long periods of shooting coke and I would push that to the very limit--we're talking stupid gluttony. I spent almost ten years smoking crack with the same deal, trying to get as high as possible for as long as possible. In recent years, I supplement my prescribed amphetamines with blackmarket Adderall and Dexedrine--I usually buy 60-120 x 30mg XR. I supplement all that with fairly regular heavy use of meth, which I have variously shot, eaten, plugged, and smoked. I've taken my fair share of knocks on my head--cycling accidents, twice hit by a car, fell off a balcony, got my head done in by baseball bat. All of that terrible display of disregard for my health and the danger of seizures and other than twice, severely ODing on cocaine, I've never had any trouble with seizures. and the two times on cocaine, when i came out of the seizure, I just resumed using. Seizures are a risk, but it is not at all common. I always check online for contraindications too, because my doc isn't great with her drug knowledge--most of what she gives me is contraindicated!

I will say, wellbutrin is a very powerful, very serious drug. I would advise anyone thinking of going on it that it better be to treat very serious symptoms. I haven't been able to get off of it, and it has made marked changes in my personality. For your needs, Wellbutrin does generally have a very activating effect on most people. greater energy and a greater intrinsic motivation to do things. I went from lethargy and idleness with any tasks seeming insurmountable to always ready to go, engaged, immersed, happy to be busy. I think over the years, the hard living, the prescribed medications and the illicit substances have worn out chemical systems inside me, as nowadays I can be jacked to the gills on everything and barely functioning at the level of a hangover sunday. :(

With wellbutrin, I would also suggest to be mindful of your moods. Maybe it is the norepinephrine, but it can increase anger and aggression. I become angry much easier over less(and can't always tell its less because of the volume of feeling inside), and it takes a lot longer for anger to subside, for adrenalin to subside. that increase in baseline level chemistry can lead to rumination, obsessing, distorted thinking about conflicts. I have had to kind of have a constant CBT program running in my head advising me to ignore a lot of the signals my body sends me. I've seen this side effect in many others, in some quite pronounced and they could not continue taking it. For years, neither doctors nor the literature would admit to this side effect, they would tell me that is nonsense, and that if anything it should make me more relaxed and patient. They tend to admit it now, even if they minimize it some. The increase in aggression wasn't all bad, I was somewhat passive before. But, the emotional volatility and changes in perception are why i keep trying to get off of it.

I hope wellbutrin helps get you more activated and active. It is very good at that--and you don't feel buzzy or like you are drugged--you just feel great. It doesn't take weeks either to start producing effects. More like a day or two.

Studies have shown about a 1.4% chance of seizure....that does not sound bad....but 24% of hospital seizure visits (in 1 study) were Wellbutrin related, and that sounds bad. I was recently hospitalized from a Rhabdo related seizure and they kept giving me my Wellbuterin. Either the er docs were idiots or did not think it a risk.

And sure enough....I had another (fortunately) mild seizure. My Psych pulled me off the Wellbuterin and put me on Cabergolin and increased my Buspar (since I am no longer taking an anti-depressant).

And sure enough....I had another (fortunately) mild seizure. My Psych pulled me off the Wellbuterin and put me on Cabergolin and increased my Buspar (since I am no longer taking an anti-depressant).
Oh no, really sorry to hear this. Glad some things got changed and it was mild, hopefully that change will work in your favor.

Everyone's metabolism and chemistry is different, so I don't know how helpful anecdotal examples are. I've been on Wellbutrin for nearly twenty years and vary my dose between 300-600mg and i have occasionally moved all the way up to 750--way above recommended dosing. I also take abilify, varying 2-6mg--it is a dopamine agonist and i take synthetic thyroid and i am prescribed vyvanse 60mg(an amphetamine). Over the twenty years I have been on Wellbutrin, I have gone long periods where I drank excessively heavily on a daily basis, long periods of shooting coke and I would push that to the very limit--we're talking stupid gluttony. I spent almost ten years smoking crack with the same deal, trying to get as high as possible for as long as possible. In recent years, I supplement my prescribed amphetamines with blackmarket Adderall and Dexedrine--I usually buy 60-120 x 30mg XR. I supplement all that with fairly regular heavy use of meth, which I have variously shot, eaten, plugged, and smoked. I've taken my fair share of knocks on my head--cycling accidents, twice hit by a car, fell off a balcony, got my head done in by baseball bat. All of that terrible display of disregard for my health and the danger of seizures and other than twice, severely ODing on cocaine, I've never had any trouble with seizures. and the two times on cocaine, when i came out of the seizure, I just resumed using. Seizures are a risk, but it is not at all common. I always check online for contraindications too, because my doc isn't great with her drug knowledge--most of what she gives me is contraindicated!

I will say, wellbutrin is a very powerful, very serious drug. I would advise anyone thinking of going on it that it better be to treat very serious symptoms. I haven't been able to get off of it, and it has made marked changes in my personality. For your needs, Wellbutrin does generally have a very activating effect on most people. greater energy and a greater intrinsic motivation to do things. I went from lethargy and idleness with any tasks seeming insurmountable to always ready to go, engaged, immersed, happy to be busy. I think over the years, the hard living, the prescribed medications and the illicit substances have worn out chemical systems inside me, as nowadays I can be jacked to the gills on everything and barely functioning at the level of a hangover sunday. :(

With wellbutrin, I would also suggest to be mindful of your moods. Maybe it is the norepinephrine, but it can increase anger and aggression. I become angry much easier over less(and can't always tell its less because of the volume of feeling inside), and it takes a lot longer for anger to subside, for adrenalin to subside. that increase in baseline level chemistry can lead to rumination, obsessing, distorted thinking about conflicts. I have had to kind of have a constant CBT program running in my head advising me to ignore a lot of the signals my body sends me. I've seen this side effect in many others, in some quite pronounced and they could not continue taking it. For years, neither doctors nor the literature would admit to this side effect, they would tell me that is nonsense, and that if anything it should make me more relaxed and patient. They tend to admit it now, even if they minimize it some. The increase in aggression wasn't all bad, I was somewhat passive before. But, the emotional volatility and changes in perception are why i keep trying to get off of it.

I hope wellbutrin helps get you more activated and active. It is very good at that--and you don't feel buzzy or like you are drugged--you just feel great. It doesn't take weeks either to start producing effects. More like a day or two.
Holy shit. I was on 120mg of wellbutrin for many years and was told that is the maximum dose. Are you prescribed 300-600mg or are you taking extra on the side? With all the other stimulants you consume, both prescribed and street, I don't see how anyone would be able to discern between which drug was helpful and which one wasn't.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just noticed the post I quoted was 2 years old.

As mentioned, my psych pulled me off Wellbuterin. I am taking no anti-depressant, she just doubled my Buspar and Cabergolin, which is supposed to be anti seizure. I had another mild one the other day, but I did some research and it seems that the Finistride I am taking is causing them. I got the mild one about an hour after I took the finestride. I stopped the finistride (bye bye hair, lol) and have not had one since.

However I am still in significant pain from the Rhabdomyolysis. Rhabdo is one of the most painful conditions you can get...it hurts more than recovery from surgery. I took Tramadol a few times, but Tramadol is also bad for seizures (although the mild seizures I got were after taking Wellbuterin and or Finistride). It seems Finestride is not for me.

I started working today (trained a few clients and my sone...I am a strength and conditioning coach) and did some dishes and now I am in pain. Although Tramadol has a rep for seizures, and even though I don't think I got one from Tram, I am not going to take it. I don't really like it anyway. What I DO like for pain is Kratom. Does anyone know if Kratom causes seizures? I could really use some as Tylenol isn't cutting it. According to the medical literature...which honestly I am skeptical about in regards to Kratom, Kratom causes EVERYTHING bad on the planet, including war in the Middle East. Thus I don't really trust the medical literature. I DO trust people on this board.

I could really go for some Kratom right now...can it cause seizure?

Holy shit. I was on 120mg of wellbutrin for many years and was told that is the maximum dose. Are you prescribed 300-600mg or are you taking extra on the side? With all the other stimulants you consume, both prescribed and street, I don't see how anyone would be able to discern between which drug was helpful and which one wasn't.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just noticed the post I quoted was 2 years old.
Well crap, I just remembered that it was Cymbalta that I used at 120mg, which was the highest dose. My previous Wellbutrin script was for 150mg but I don't know if that was the highest or not.

@Mureceptor I don't know anything about kratom, hopefully someone with more knowledge can chime in here. I think I do recall reading on Bluelight that people can experience withdrawals when trying to quit taking it.

Cabergoline causes heart damage with extended use, like a year. Amphetamine is far safer if you need dopamine.

Source this? Thanks.
Search google for "cabergoline cardiac valve"

There are plenty of medical journal studies. Feel free to make your own conclusion. The risk of damage varies from study to study.

This is probably a good summary though, though not from a specific medical journal. It gives the history.

There isn't a clear consensus, although I suppose the same could be said for amphetamine. The difference is there are fewer studies indicating this specific risk, and we have 100 years of studies on amphetamine with hundreds of millions of users over that time. Maybe a billion or more. Cabergoline is comparatively niche.

Thanks for this reply. My DOC is meth. I have Major Depressive Disorder so the boost from meth is awesome. Coming off of meth I need that energy big time. Wellbutrin will hopefully help me the same as you. My psychiatrist is going to be prescribing me 150mg extended release.

I’m curious to know what changes in your personality you’ve experienced.

Thanks for this reply. My DOC is meth. I have Major Depressive Disorder so the boost from meth is awesome. Coming off of meth I need that energy big time. Wellbutrin will hopefully help me the same as you. My psychiatrist is going to be prescribing me 150mg extended release.

I’m curious to know what changes in your personality you’ve experienced.

Hi, I posted in this a while back.

Wellbutrin, to me, felt like low grade Adderall. I ended up abusing it, almost ODed, if you believe that, but if you can take it seriously as prescribed it will give you a little energy boost and some focus, which seems to be what you're after.

***Everyone will react differently***

It made me better at math but not much more. I've heard doses as high as 600mg, but they were giving like 750mg at first, which led to a lot of seizures. So yeah...But it's supposed to work pretty well, It's prescribed a lot.

Hi, I posted in this a while back.

Wellbutrin, to me, felt like low grade Adderall. I ended up abusing it, almost ODed, if you believe that, but if you can take it seriously as prescribed it will give you a little energy boost and some focus, which seems to be what you're after.

***Everyone will react differently***
Ah, ok. I’ve never abused prescription drugs so don’t anticipate that. I’ll take what I can get legally. My meth use has been a rough journey. Never felt more alive than when I was on it, though. Definitely not worth it in the long run.
Did you experience any negative side effects?