• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Applying to do Psychology at uni- can I mention my drug usage? [more details]

StWd

Greenlighter
Hi guys,

Still relatively new, often just a lurker. Still new to the world of drugs.

I don't want to go into too much detail for obvious reasons but one of the reasons I started stuyding psychology in my spare time was because of my depression and that led to me learning about MDMA possibly curing my depression, after it did, it led me to studying the culture of drugs, taking a couple of psychedelics and reading a psychology textbook. I'm applying to go to university soon (in the UK) and with my application I have to write a personal statement which is basically a short essay saying why you want to study and how you would do well etc. I know mentioning my depression is fine and how it led to my studies however would mentioning my short use of MDMA and psychedelics (less than 10 times) which has further intrigued me about psychology or should I leave that out. Would a good UK psychology course admissions tutor be able to accept a student who admits to having used illegal drugs recreationally in the past- even if they mention the scientific approach done with it (keeping notes, reading about the chemical, using erowid and uploading trip reports).
I've got a heck of a lot of time to get it written but I'm thinking about starting soon.

StWd

Just leave it out, now is not the time to expose your tools. A committee would be far more impressed by a person who has overcome depression with no use of chemicals than one who has. Not saying you should lie about overcoming your obstacles, but it would be better for your admission to leave it out. Then, you can start working in a lab and gain more knowledge about how uni's work and maybe get a sponsor to help you write up an MDMA review. I doubt you would be allowed to run a full fledged study on the topic as an undergrad, so just lay low, absorb everything else the uni has to offer and try to keep that blue light flickering when you've got your PhD and have to freedom and credibility to run the studies you want.

Def. do NOT write that down. This is coming from a graduate student in clinical psychology.

I would strongly advise against it, I work in a psychological area and has done work for universities from developing programmes to lecturing. I can see your personal statement going straight into the bin if you write about your experience of drug use.

However, I wish you the best of luck with your application and hope it works out for you.

Thanks everyone.

I'll credit overcoming my depression to my mindfulness therapist, true in part :)

I'd love to study psychedelics or MDMA for a PhD one day :D

I'd love to study psychedelics or MDMA for a PhD one day :D

I hate to burst your bubble but you will prolly have to wait until after your get your PhD and are settled with a good reputation in your field. I'm not sure how many advisory committees would approve a student to work directly with illegal drugs.

EDIT: I just noticed you are in the UK. I have no clue what their laws are or if it is taboo to work with drugs in a university setting over there.

I hate to burst your bubble but you will prolly have to wait until after your get your PhD and are settled with a good reputation in your field. I'm not sure how many advisory committees would approve a student to work directly with illegal drugs.

EDIT: I just noticed you are in the UK. I have no clue what their laws are or if it is taboo to work with drugs in a university setting over there.

You're not bursting any bubbles dude. As much as I admit I would love to, I am well aware that it would be a long and difficult road to being able to study something like that, if possible at all.

UK is way more lax than US fo sho.

You definitely couldn't work with illegal drugs.. but surveys? Easy-peasy.

Your depression has not been cured by taking MDMA or other drugs. If you are into using drugs, and writing about them on the internet, or in a survey or report then your university already knows you use drugs.

Like everyone else has said, it's always best to play it safe and leave it out for now. This doesn't mean you have to hide your interest in psychedelics or MDMA but it's always best to be selective in who you tell about your drug use. I did a pharmacy degree and didn't tell anyone at the start that I had and did use drugs but as the course went on I found mates who were like minded and could share some mesculin/acid/shrooms stories with. I also ended up carrying out a research project in the usefulness of LSD and other psychadelics in treating alcoholism, and still only people can speculate about my drug use. Point of the story is, always safer to keep your cards close to your chest but doesn't mean that it has to affect what you want to do.

Your depression has not been cured by taking MDMA or other drugs. If you are into using drugs, and writing about them on the internet, or in a survey or report then your university already knows you use drugs.

How so?