• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Appetite changes on different opiates/opioids?

maggells

Bluelighter
So recently I've noticed a big change in my appetite/weight since switching meds. In the last 10 years or so I have noticed the following:

Hydromorphone: normal appetite, weight consistent
Heroin: no appetite, weight drastically decreased
Morphine: decreased appetite, weight slightly decreased
Oxycodone (current): increased appetite/desire to eat high calorie/high sugar foods frequently, steady weight gain

Anyone else notice a change in their appetite/weight with different opiates/oids? Any thing I can do to curb my appetite/cravings to keep my weight to a healthier level while on the oxy? (No interest in stimulants or suppressants).

I'm getting the best length of duration by taking the oxy orally to treat pain and stay out of withdrawal longer between doses so really don't want to switch meds or routes. All other meds were previously IV, trying to stay away from injecting after many years of use. At first thought the crazy eating was my way of sublimating the needle cravings and that it would resolve itself with time but doesn't seem to be diminishing.

Appreciate everyone's thoughts, thanks.

I am currently on Oxycodone 5/325 for pain issues. I have noticed a definate increase in my appetite in general and an increased taste for sweets/chocolate in general.

I have been in pain management for 6-7 moths. On top of Percoet, I used morphine and Oxymorphone. During those times, I did not notice any pronounced increase in overall appetite and desire for sweats.

There can be many different reasons for this, but one thing that may not matter, but stands out to me is that Oxycodone is highly orally active, while morphine and Oxymorphone have much lower oral bioavailabilitys.

Also, on this round of medication usage, I have had much personal stress. My weight tends to go up during stress.

This can be coincendene or have merit.

I hear you Speed King, I'm definitely under stress. Guess it could just be since I'm using so much less my natural appetite is just coming back and I'm still sublimating drug cravings with food. My anxiety has been through the roof, too. Have you found yourself more anxious when only on the oxy?

No. I had a doctor lower my Oxymorphone ER dose a lot. I basically went from 55mg Oxycodone to 20mg Oxycodone over night. I had a few days of higher anxiety and that was it. That's also when the hunger increased.

Thanks for your input. Guess I'll try keeping a food journal and seeing if there's a pattern to it.

ive always eaten considerably less sometimes not at all, regardless of which opioid. Although I do remember for me morphine & dope having the biggest impact on weight reduction. Can't really recall oxy or dillies maybe the loss of appetite wasn't so pronounced w/ those ones idk

Not sure if this helps at all (sorry if it contributes nothing but I thought I'd chime in with my experience), when I first started using H I couldn't eat at all, the thought of food disgusted me as if I was on stims or LSD, but after a while (probably once I was physically addicted) my appetite came back with a vengeance and I would ONLY be hungry when high (like pot munchies), and had no appetite when not high.