Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Apigenin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davevanza

Bluelighter
I search through Medscape drug Pharmacology about Chamomile and Passion Flower tea infusion, and surprisingly, I found that both herbs contains an active ingredient called Apigenin.

Unlike Valerian which contains the standardised Valerenic Acid that binds to GABA receptor, Apigenin from Chamomile binds to Benzodiazepine receptor like Valium, Xanax, Ativan, etc.

I know Medscape is a medical source of information that have been proven through various trials, so the info I assume is correct.

This is what is stated :

- Passion flower
Mechanism of action : One component, Apigenin, is a benzodiazepine receptor agonist. There are various components, which also contributes to the opioid receptor agonist. It has little affinity to "mu" receptor in the brain which is responsible for its reinforcement effect ( " high"), but it has moderate affinity to kappa and delta receptor, which still contribute to its opioid-like analgesic effect.

The same thing applies to Chamomile tea, except Chamomile doesn't have opioid like activity. Lemon Balm also does the same thing.

So, naturally, these herbs are actually Nature's Benzodiazepines and opiates. They are able to alleviate anxiety, pain ( Passionflower), restlessness, stomach complains.

I have tried Chamomile tea, unfortunately, its effect is eclipsed by my Clonazepam. so i don't really feel its effect.

I am wondering if anyone tried any of these ? how is the effect ?

Medscape is a good source generally, but I am not so sure about the entries for some of the herbal substances. For example, it states that Valerian acts as a GABA reuptake inhibitor with NO cites or references for that, and no naturopath I have ever spoken to has claimed that this is the mechanism for that substance.

Medscape is a good source generally, but I am not so sure about the entries for some of the herbal substances. For example, it states that Valerian acts as a GABA reuptake inhibitor with NO cites or references for that, and no naturopath I have ever spoken to has claimed that this is the mechanism for that substance.

True, and Valerian certainly doesn't feel like a benzo-induced drowsiness. It's more of a, "If I close my eyes I will fall asleep, but otherwise I'm wide awake" kind of sedation. Kind of weird.

I drink chamomile, passionflower and damiana tea and have never really felt any effects. They're very mild.

I'll bite my lip and reserve what comments I might have for Naturopaths in general ;)

Here's a few

Dietz mentions that binding to GABA occured in-vitro but in one study high concentrations of valerenic acid were used (listed as 3g/ml) so the authors rate the results as questionable

Dietz, B.M.,Mahady,G.B.,Pauli,G.F.,Farnwsworth,N.R.,2005.Valerian extract and
valerenic acid are partial agonists of the 5-HT5a receptor invitro. BrainRes.
Mol. BrainRes.138 (2),191–197.

However, Khom et al, show that valerenic acid does modulates GABAa receptors.

Khom, S.,Baburin,I.,Timin,E.,Hohaus,A.,Trauner,G.,Kopp,B.,Hering,S.,2007.
Valerenic acid potentiates and inhibits GABAA receptors: molecular mechan-
ism and subunit specificity.Neuropharmacology53(1),178–187.

Abstract
Valerian is a commonly used herbal medicinal product for the treatment of anxiety and insomnia. Here we report the stimulation of chloride currents through GABAA receptors (IGABA) by valerenic acid (VA), a constituent of Valerian. To analyse the molecular basis of VA action, we expressed GABAA receptors with 13 different subunit compositions in Xenopus oocytes and measured IGABA using the two-microelectrode voltage-clamp technique. We report a subtype-dependent stimulation of IGABA by VA. Only channels incorporating b2 or b3 subunits were stimulated by VA. Replacing b2/3 by b1 drastically reduced the sensitivity of the resulting GABAA channels. The stimulatory effect of VA on a1b2 receptors was substantially reduced by the point mutation b2N265S (known to inhibit loreclezole action). Mutating the corresponding residue of b1 (b1S290N) induced VA sensitivity in a1b1S290N comparable to a1b2 receptors. Modulation of IGABA was not significantly dependent on incorporation of a1, a2, a3 or a5 subunits. VA displayed a significantly lower efficiency on channels incorporating a4 subunits. IGABA modulation by VA was not g subunit dependent and not inhibited by flumazenil (1 mM). VA shifted the GABA concentrationeeffect curve towards lower GABA concentrations and elicited substantial currents through GABAA channels at 30 mM. At higher concentrations (100 mM), VA and acetoxy-VA inhibit IGABA. A possible open channel block mechanism is discussed. In summary, VA was identified as a subunit specific allosteric modulator of GABAA receptors that is likely to interact with the loreclezole binding pocket.

...Our study opens the perspective that the proposed sedative, hypnotic and anxiolytic effects suggested for Valerian may be caused by interaction of VA with GABAa channels

Valeriana officinalis root extracts have potent anxiolytic effects in
laboratory rats
K. Murphy a, Z.J.Kubin b, J.N.Shepherd b, R.H.Ettinger a,n
a Department of Psychology,Eastern Oregon University, LaGrande, OR 97850, USA
b Department of Chemistry, Gonzaga University,Spokane,WA,USA

This last paper is available as a full pdf uncorrected version. I believe the only corrections made involved references.

^ I'm not a big fan of naturopaths either, but in my current work I'm having to bite my tongue quite a bit as well. ;)

I search through Medscape drug Pharmacology about Chamomile and Passion Flower tea infusion, and surprisingly, I found that both herbs contains an active ingredient called Apigenin.

Unlike Valerian which contains the standardised Valerenic Acid that binds to GABA receptor, Apigenin from Chamomile binds to Benzodiazepine receptor like Valium, Xanax, Ativan, etc.

I know Medscape is a medical source of information that have been proven through various trials, so the info I assume is correct.

This is what is stated :

- Passion flower
Mechanism of action : One component, Apigenin, is a benzodiazepine receptor agonist. There are various components, which also contributes to the opioid receptor agonist. It has little affinity to "mu" receptor in the brain which is responsible for its reinforcement effect ( " high"), but it has moderate affinity to kappa and delta receptor, which still contribute to its opioid-like analgesic effect.

The same thing applies to Chamomile tea, except Chamomile doesn't have opioid like activity. Lemon Balm also does the same thing.

So, naturally, these herbs are actually Nature's Benzodiazepines and opiates. They are able to alleviate anxiety, pain ( Passionflower), restlessness, stomach complains.

I have tried Chamomile tea, unfortunately, its effect is eclipsed by my Clonazepam. so i don't really feel its effect.

I am wondering if anyone tried any of these ? how is the effect ?
dude its an opiod antagonist

Status
Not open for further replies.