• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Anyone's Home Op Dispensary Quality?

smokeymcpot42088

Bluelighter
This is a question for those in states it is legal to both grow and buy cannabis. In my experience I haven't met one grower who can compete with dispensary quality weed and a few have been growing 30 - 40 years. Is anybody really growing anything at this level at home.? Please use the appropriate amount of discretion *that is your decision*

FTR I did try myself and it was early enough into things that I still had a competitive edge; but it would not fly on the market today.

Oh definitely. I think it comes down to genetics. I keep every seed I find in top shelf weed and then play with those genetics. You’re only as good as the genetics allow.

-GC

This is a question for those in states it is legal to both grow and buy cannabis. In my experience I haven't met one grower who can compete with dispensary quality weed and a few have been growing 30 - 40 years. Is anybody really growing anything at this level at home.? Please use the appropriate amount of discretion *that is your decision*

FTR I did try myself and it was early enough into things that I still had a competitive edge; but it would not fly on the market today.
Actually most experienced growers can produce bud that exceeds dispensary quality,

Genetics, Setup, Climate (sometimes unexpected climate changes can affect a grow) and grower experience are the main things to consider for end quality

Actually most experienced growers can produce bud that exceeds dispensary quality,

That is all I need to hear and you can close this. Darkside good advice, I also urge anyone who is going to start to consider having a rotation so some plants are harvesting while others flower and others veg, etc whatnot. I don't plan on growing, I have twice in the past once very successfully; I still don't think it was quit dispensary quality but chesire kat's word is plenty for me. Damn lol I know like multiple ppl who have grown for like 30 yrs and still suck at it.......or are trying to dupe me with popcorn or last years etc what not.

The reason I ask is I was feeling kind of bad that all my connects basically got the axe because they can't compete with dispensaries....if that is their problem oh well.

Gone are the days where just ok weed can be sellable. The market is saturated and growers that have been on it for decades are losing business. But those that perfect the art are still doing just fine.

I knew some old growers that were at it a long time, they were still working with old genetics. They had a decent setup but if the genes ain’t good, no amount of skill will produce what people seek these days.

That said, I did appreciate the older genetics cuz it gave me a taste of what our parents smoked. Low terpenes and a fairly decent high. Just lacking in smell and bag appeal, doesn’t make for great selling product.

-GC

going to the right dispensary i find the bud is going to be stronger. i assume they are growing under stronger lights than most home growers are going to care to use, so i think that and the fertalizing mostly contribute to when the buds get really strong and over 30%thc.

i did a pretty good job fertalizing from what i read at the time and was using a 400watt hps light. i tried seeds from a few different places. a lot of them had good reviews, but none of the indoor weed that i grew really got me baked like i like.. i grew some outdoors where i could smoke a few bowls and it would do the trick, but i never got good indoors.

with that being said, i got some bud from the dispensary that was discount or shake a few times recently and it doesn't do the trick to get me baked. i hear more and more stuff about how thc percentages aren't even real on the internet recently, and i'm starting to wonder. a person on reddit was saying there are cannabinoids that are unknown so far... i have no idea... i find if i get a good brand, i stick to it. like i got some stuff that was 15% thc recently for pretty cheap and it's really good. another dispensary was selling the brand for real expensive, but another store had it for discount, so i figured i'd give it a go.... i've heard people on here say to go with the smell you like over the thc percentage. i have no idea at this point. mostly just stick to the brands that are good.

To those that pefect the art! My late father was told by the local dea task he had the most complex operation in state history. I think they were exagerating but it was a sight to behold. Blueberry white rhino in the days of mexi brick. He was a master carpenter and a professor who focused on research.

Foodcrisis -- My experience was the opposite. I tried twice, once my father was still alive to give pointers and that went very well indoor hydro. (of course a good majority of tippity top end equipment was used, co2 automated moving lights... Than I tried outdoors and that was hemp for all intensive purposes lol.

I also find better weed at the dispo but dont personally know anyone whose PASSION is growing. I know a few growers that have been supplementing there shipments with harvests for decades and they aren't makin it on shipments or there HG. I also find brand to be more important than THC% or price. Also I have personally spoke with a couple ppl at a testing facility that are getting pissed at inflated THC%'s as if they do not use similar tricks and inflate the % companies stop using them. Higher THC = More buzz right?? I dont know yet ill get back to ya in a decade or so when things clear up.

I hear canada has much more reliable thc % numbers due to some testing law a canadian can help me explain....

I used to sometimes get compliments at dispensaries because I’d go by smell not percents. Sometimes I’d be grabbed a low teens THC strain like 11-13% and they’d comment on how nobody ever goes for the lower percentage stuff. My nose tells me everything.

On one occasion I specifically remember getting two strains, one at 13% and the other at 22%. The 13 was way better, more Stanky. Terps are important for the effects no doubt.

I also remember trying a product that was isolated pure THC-A and with it came a little vial of the terpenes they pulled off that plant as well. They said the terpenes vial had small residual amounts of THC and cannabinoids but mostly just terps. I found the terps vial got me higher than the isolated pure THCA which was all mental with no bodily effects I seek.

I like my weed to be so smelly it gets you in trouble. That’s how I got caught my first time as a kid. Had bud so rank triple bagging it and then hiding it deep in my stuff, my mom was able to smell it out like a bloodhound.

I also like certain strains purely for the nuanced effect they give. Forbidden Fruit is a good one, a complex yet subtle high. MAC and Wedding Cake are amazing for body relief. And GMO is just the top dog in getting me a damn good buzz with body relief and a head stone that tells you you’re high as shit.

-GC

You think terps are more important than thc %? I have never heard this opinion before. I was just about to stop believing in terps to be honest; read a compelling case against them on here just a couple days ago I believe.

I don't know to be 100%. I have had the THC-A isolate as well. (or so the US dispensary claimed), it worked very very well for me.

I find looks to be the best indication; although those will fool you now and than as well. Nose is a good way. After long enough you just know. Dense crystal covered shade of green smell, humidity (which is the one thing you dont know till you have in the US) ...well the thc is exaggerated also lol.