• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Anyone volunteered abroad?

Two_in_the_pink

Bluelight Crew
I'm thinking about volunteering abroad. I live in the US. Just wondering if anyone has done it, or knows someone that has? What are good places to start? Where should I go?

Yea, it is just most people don't have the luxury to simply volunteer without eventually expecting some form of compensation. If you do/can all the more power to you. Look into areas in which you can use a skill set you already have. Other than that there is always black market volunteering. What type of volunteer work would you even be looking for?

In many areas in the developed world volunteers are more of a liability than an asset. Traditional charity as it is known in the US in a place similar to many in western Germany, maybe Europe, would probably result in you interfering with some sociologist's job ;).

I think they were looking for a few volunteers near Everest. You just have to carry some stuff up a mountain.

Many places simply don't expect volunteers, and therefore don't have spots for them.

Hospitals can be a decent place. They can almost always use an extra person, but you would have to treat it like a real part time job. Start out doing what the nursing staff tells you, and slowly gather more experience and responsibility. Walking around picking up trash isn't a terrible way to start doing a bit of volunteer work here and there.

I joined Engineers Without Borders. I have had 2 job offers from them (SE Asia and South America). I'm all for it, otherwise I wouldnt have paid the donation to join. But, I have a partner that wants to start a life with me. So, although I always felt I was destined for this kind of work, I am most likely going to go for a proper high paying job, and perhaps knock her up and start a family. I'll see how I go. I did always want to learn Spanish and end up in South America though. Playing it by ear... ;)

OP: do you have any qualifications to get you into a particular industry? If not, I have a couple of friends working in SE Asia (teaching English), and they had no previous qualifications. Perhaps you would like this line of work?

I am trying to remember what the name of this website is. It is basically a volunteer work where you can choose to go to a certain country and then you get paid by food shelter and you get to know the culture and the language by mingling with the natives of the country iirc. I will post it as soon as I am able to remember and find more information.

OP: do you have any qualifications to get you into a particular industry? If not, I have a couple of friends working in SE Asia (teaching English), and they had no previous qualifications. Perhaps you would like this line of work?

Teaching English is a good one, and WWOOFING always sounded fun if you hit the right spots.

jw, which country/countries are you referring to?

Thanks for the responses, I'm finishing my degree in IT in about 12 months, so we'll see what I can do with it. Maybe a UN volunteer? Def will check out woofing KYT, thanks.