• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Stimulants Anyone used meth to get off opiates?

Justadudeondrugs

Bluelighter
Seems like a stupid question but my friends that use meth only say it doesn't have withdraw like opiates...some of you may have seen my post trying to come 15-20 fent/ blues a day and in my 18 years addiction to opiates, I had never tried meth .... untill this morning and damn it felt fucking amazing!!! I'm curious if I could kinda transfer my usage from the fent over to meth then maybe have an easier time getting eventually off the meth?
Sounds wacky but I made it today on only 8 pills and hitting the meth pipe a couple times.. I'm trying to see some logic here but feel like a fool as I type this .

Well, we all tend to fool ourselves at times so don't be too hard on yourself. Using meth may very well distract you from the fent pills or at least you might use less. Since you just tried it and it felt fucking amazing....well....there's your answer. You will more than likely start chasing that feeling instead of the opioids. Then a month from now you will say fuck it and try to stop using meth.

Now you're screwed. You might not be taking fent anymore but you are going to wish you were. Because you are going to wish you had never started the meth. Opioids may make you feel like shit physically when you quit them but it doesn't compare to the MENTAL anguish that you will feel when you try and stop the meth. And there is a 90% chance that you WON'T be able to stop. You will want to stop but your mind won't let you. There are hundreds and hundreds of threads in 6 different sub-forums on here that are full of people in absolute misery because they just can't put the meth down. Month after month they try....month after month they fail.

Before you use meth again please read the over 200 threads on here where people are begging for help to stop the compulsion to use meth. They are stuck in a vicious cycle of using day after day and their misery leaks out into the forums like the tears they are shedding as they have lost all control. I know that sounds dramatic but read up. Please. The forum is thick with the misery. Everyday I log on to try and help but we can't because nothing we can say can ever be close to what these people go through. It's heartbreaking to read their stories. Some are suicidal. Some are at the end of their rope. Try as they may....they just can't quit. And that's no lie. They are miserable and have lost all joy in their life. Sure they get joy from the needle or the pipe but the joy soon leaves and they are broken and in the pits of despair.

Come back at me in 30 days ( if you decide to use meth to get off fent ) and let me know how you are doing. Prove me wrong.

Wow ! That's what I needed to hear/ read. Thank you .
Guess I'll work on tapering the fent.
That's wonderful to hear. I really hope that you can find your way in this life. I get where you are coming from. I self medicated for many years myself. It didn't end well.

Well, it ended well because it's over but the years and years in between left many many scars,

Stay strong, man !! :cheer:

I've heard of people using adderall to help with opioid withdrawal.

The problem here is it's just trading one addiction for another.

Care needs to be taken if you are still using fent while using meth. You're speedballing. Very addictive combo. Very dangerous combo.

You might come out of this with 2 addictions instead of just 1.

It can help through its TAAR1 agonism, amongst other sites. But don’t be fooled you would without a doubt be trading one addiction for another. And meth addiction is just as nasty if not nastier. Very glad to hear you tossed it, it’s not the answer to your fent 30’s problem.

-GC

This is a terrible solution to the problem of opiate addiction, unless you're keen on trading a high risk of overdose for a slightly lower risk of overdose, psychosis, sleep deprivation, moderate to severe weight loss, and a just as crippling addiction.

There is a sort of withdrawal to meth btw. For many days to weeks after continuous use you will have very low energy, motivation, possible depression, and a higher propensity to sleep in. That may not sound too bad but depression induced by stimulant binges can lead to extremely dark places.

Don't get me wrong, a fentanyl addiction is very dangerous due to the constant risk of overdose from hot batches, but a meth addiction of the same caliber will very quickly destroy your mind and body, if not quickly then slowly over time.

Well, we all tend to fool ourselves at times so don't be too hard on yourself. Using meth may very well distract you from the fent pills or at least you might use less. Since you just tried it and it felt fucking amazing....well....there's your answer. You will more than likely start chasing that feeling instead of the opioids. Then a month from now you will say fuck it and try to stop using meth.

Now you're screwed. You might not be taking fent anymore but you are going to wish you were. Because you are going to wish you had never started the meth. Opioids may make you feel like shit physically when you quit them but it doesn't compare to the MENTAL anguish that you will feel when you try and stop the meth. And there is a 90% chance that you WON'T be able to stop. You will want to stop but your mind won't let you. There are hundreds and hundreds of threads in 6 different sub-forums on here that are full of people in absolute misery because they just can't put the meth down. Month after month they try....month after month they fail.

Before you use meth again please read the over 200 threads on here where people are begging for help to stop the compulsion to use meth. They are stuck in a vicious cycle of using day after day and their misery leaks out into the forums like the tears they are shedding as they have lost all control. I know that sounds dramatic but read up. Please. The forum is thick with the misery. Everyday I log on to try and help but we can't because nothing we can say can ever be close to what these people go through. It's heartbreaking to read their stories. Some are suicidal. Some are at the end of their rope. Try as they may....they just can't quit. And that's no lie. They are miserable and have lost all joy in their life. Sure they get joy from the needle or the pipe but the joy soon leaves and they are broken and in the pits of despair.

Come back at me in 30 days ( if you decide to use meth to get off fent ) and let me know how you are doing. Prove me wrong.
Very well explained indeed!

15-20 fent/ blues a day

No amount of meth will put a dent in that level of withdrawal.

Amphetamines do help the withdrawal a bit but mainly after the acute phase. Wouldn't advise taking meth during acute fentanyl withdrawal

And of course, in the end, fentanyl is (if it doesn't kill you via acute toxicity) less poisonous to the brain and body than methamphetamine, so transferring that habit to meth sort of worsens the situation.

No amount of meth will put a dent in that level of withdrawal.

Amphetamines do help the withdrawal a bit but mainly after the acute phase. Wouldn't advise taking meth during acute fentanyl withdrawal

And of course, in the end, fentanyl is (if it doesn't kill you via acute toxicity) less poisonous to the brain and body than methamphetamine, so transferring that habit to meth sort of worsens the situation.
Right. I guess I'm gunna have to taper down from this mess ..( I know easier said then done ) thank you for the advice.

You have to look at the big picture man. It's like fghting a Pyrrhic Victory if you only end up de-railed by the Methamphetamine. These drugs are with us for longer than we often realize. I thin as addicts, we tend to say "when the high is over, the experience is over", but I have to say about Meth, I can use Meth for a couple of days, sleep for a couple of days, but I'm still not actually right again for a couple of weeks... depression, anxiety and all that.

On these forums myself and others have often advocated using other, let's say, milder substances to help mitigate withdrawal symptoms to get folks through withdrawal. I relied heavily upon Gabapentinoids to make it through my Opioid withdrawal journey.

In short, for someone with addiction problems, I don't think that using Methamphetamine will in any way factor into an equation with an ultimately positive result if that makes sense. We will help you with whatever you need kid, bt I advise against this type of thing.

I'm an example of this theory of swapping one poison for the next and trying to ween off that new one. Realized instead of shooting dilly 8s I could just shoot crack! Genius right? Well now I'm doing a little less dillies and using a metric fuck ton of crack. I'm still in control mentally but just barely and it's totally fucked me up more then any use of dillies ever did, and that's only using it for a month now. Seriously be careful don't end up like me I'm currently on a downward spiral to hell so it appears

Strictly knowledge only - this might even work IF one can control him/herself's mind enough not to fall into an even deeper addiction to the next or both drugs. Dopamine agonists, when dosed correctly, inhibit part of naloxone-precipitated withdrawal (which is stronger than normal turkey because naloxone is an inverse agonist at mu) and meth is an indirect but powerful dopamine agonist. I've also read a report about somebody withdrawing with cocaine (don't do it!). Well personally I don't like the loads of norepinephrine which meth will release and would say you're better off by using a direct and selective dopamine agonist, these are also less addictive than stims if used short-time only.

So far it seems to be D1/D3 mediated which makes sense as these receptors are inhibitive while D2 is assumed to be mostly excitative. Also one wants to stay the fuck away from caffeine as adenosine reduces withdrawal (obviously) and caffeine antagonizes that.

But my recommendation remains to be memantine, together with pregabalin in more severe cases, this combo is imo the best option for opioid dependencies. The memantine, when dosed high enough, will modulate the mu receptors to forget about their tolerance and in consequence also minimize withdrawal. I was really impressed by how easy it was to quit morphine after being dependent for three years (and it was certainly not that I was just not addicted yet as I tried both tapering and turkey and I couldn't support them).

Well it is certainly easier to end up as a poly user than sober with this. Technically it might work, practically chances are little. It depends on whether one is really tired of the habit and substance or if one's forced to quit probably as well.
Meth addiction happens fast, a week or two of low dosages (maybe 50mg per day split in 2 doses) already gave me a depressive hangover, real depression of the sort where one cries without reason, not just rebound.

But was meth really already around in the 1960s? I know that it is an old substance which was used in WWII but thought it's widespread use was relatively new.

Well it is certainly easier to end up as a poly user than sober with this. Technically it might work, practically chances are little. It depends on whether one is really tired of the habit and substance or if one's forced to quit probably as well.
Meth addiction happens fast, a week or two of low dosages (maybe 50mg per day split in 2 doses) already gave me a depressive hangover, real depression of the sort where one cries without reason, not just rebound.

But was meth really already around in the 1960s? I know that it is an old substance which was used in WWII but thought it's widespread use was relatively new.
Yes METH was around in the 1960s. It was sold on the street and there was pharmaceutical grade METHEDRINE. I know people who were prescribed it as "diet pills" in a Latin American country, or basically she told me that you could go into almost any farmacia in DF MX and easily get prescribed ups and downs.

didn't they call them black beauties or bennies, I guess as in Benzedrine??

My father sold meth after he got back from 'Nam in 69...that went on until 76ish.

Meth is a real fucked up drug. I actually HATE it but just like any thing else there is a time and place.

I've cold kicked a huge fent habit with nothing but a 20 of meth. It does work.

Have you considered suboxone? Coming off fentanyl it doesn’t work right away like switching from heroin, but the sickness will not get nearly as bad as it could, and within 3 days everything is a lot better. I could never have gotten clean without it imo. Getting off heroin, I was able to completely avoid any withdrawals. I use for the last time around 9-10pm. Then I stay up til about 2:30-3am. Then sleep, and by the time I wake up it’s been 12+ hours since last use. Then I wait a little bit longer if i can, then take my first sub dose. With heroin, I feel better very quickly. With fent, I still am really sick that day but then start feeling a bit better the 2nd day.