Anyone that's healed from HPPD?

Brepp

Greenlighter
The title pretty much says it all; has anoyone here fully recovered from HPPD? That is, feeling like your old self with a clear vision? The reason i'm asking is because i got HPPD after trying just two hits of cannabis 5 weeks ago that ironically didn't even make me high, just a bit relaxed. Prior to that i hadnt't done any other drugs in my life except alochol 4-5 times a year and weed at 5-6 ocations years prior to this, overall i lived a very healthy lifestyle.

Anyways, life since then has been a living hell, the brainfog has robbed me of half my cognition (memory, focus, iq etc), i have a VERY irritating pressure in my head, a vague tinnitus in my right ear and ofcourse the horrible vision thanks to static/visual snow, almost everything looks a bit out of focus (blurry), halos, glaring, extreme light sensitivity and in certain lights flickering. The first week of it i also experienced a light move for 4-5 seconds before it stopped and an object "pulsating"; becoming bigger and smaller, which also stopped after a few seconds. But since then i thankfully haven't experienced any more of this, which i see as a good sign. I've also had extremely vivid and intense dreams since this started and going back two days i also hade a CRIPPLING anxiety and regular panic attacks every day, my heart literally started racing just a couple of seconds waking up, but thankfully this has calmed down alot the last two days, same with the slight DPDR i have experienced.

I'm having a REAL hard time accepting that just two hits of cannabis literally have ruined my life and robbed me of my clear sight and cognition, words can't describe how much i HATE myself for trying it. If i had known about HPPD before this i wouldn't have been in the same building as psychedelics. It really is wierd that such a life ruining consequence of cannabis (and other psychedelics) isn't more known, especially today when it's getting legalized in more and more states and countries. Sure, the risk of getting it is SUPER low, but still. I have read pretty much all of the research since this started and i know that Dr. Abraham in his paper from 2001 said that about 50% makes a spontaneous remission within the first months/year, i've also spoken to some that apparently have had their symptoms drastically subside, but still there's alot of horror stories on the web, so i quess that i'm writing this because i'm grasping for some more hope. So if you have healed from this, please share the symptoms you had and how long it took!

doesn't even sound like HPPD. Cannabis does not cause HPPD. You sound like you might have a brain tumor though.

HPPD is literally when you have perma psychedelic visuals 24/7 that can range to full on peaking. Cannabis did not cause this. Something else is going on in your life. And nothing you remote is anywhere near in terms of HPPD. Don't google stuff and convice yourself you have it. Go to a doctor and get a MRI brain scan.

doesn't even sound like HPPD. Cannabis does not cause HPPD. You sound like you might have a brain tumor though.

HPPD is literally when you have perma psychedelic visuals 24/7 that can range to full on peaking. Cannabis did not cause this. Something else is going on in your life. And nothing you remote is anywhere near in terms of HPPD. Don't google stuff and convice yourself you have it. Go to a doctor and get a MRI brain scan.
Cannabis is an established cause in the litterature and there are different levels and symptoms of HPPD depending on which drug that caused it (see links below). And as i said, this all started after the cannabis use. I tried two hits and then went to bed an hour later and the following day this nightmare started. Also, i've done a CT scan with contrast, an MRI, seen an ophthalmologist, done blood tests and been examined, and there's nothing physically wrong with me. I've also talked with several people during these weeks that have experienced the exact same thing after cannabis use, so it is without a doubt HPPD, i wish you were right though!

Last edited:
its all in your head. I highly doubt you had all those tests within 5 weeks. HPPD is not caused by cannabis.

I also don't believe cannabis could cause hppd, but as for hppd itself, no, it seems permenant, even after extended breaks of over a year or more from psychedelics.

I also don't believe cannabis could cause hppd, but as for hppd itself, no, it seems permenant, even after extended breaks of over a year or more from psychedelics.
yes proper hppd is full on LSD visuals 24/7 life is a mega trip lost in other time and space dimensions never able to get back to baseline time and space. What this person described sounds like a average fucking migraine.

HPPD might be permenant but i think abstaining for 20 years is how some old time 60s users said how long it took them to recover.

its all in your head. I highly doubt you had all those tests within 5 weeks. HPPD is not caused
No, it's not, i wish that you could spend just one day in my body. And yes, i did, i went in to the ER and got the CT scan the same night, 2 days later i met the eye doc and 3 weeks later i got the MRI. And yes, cannabis is a known cause for HPPD, read the study i linked you, and please, leave this thread, i didn't make this to try and convince people of anything, i just want to hear if people here have healed from it.

Read the litterature.

No, it's not, i wish that you could spend just one day in my body. And yes, i did, i went in to the ER and got the CT scan the same night, 2 days later i met the eye doc and 3 weeks later i got the MRI. And yes, cannabis is a known cause for HPPD, read the study i linked you, and please, leave this thread, i didn't make this to try and convince people of anything, i just want to hear if people here have healed from it.
I mean without being rude, that's just not possible. Sounds like you are getting older and maybe the cannabis triggered some underlying anxiety disorder, which can cause all kinds of psychosomatic symptoms. If you saw from behind my eyes or in my mind or body, you'd likely check yourself into a hospital.

The literature doesn't matter, hppd is poorly understood and it is in the interest of opponents of legalization to publish stuff like that.

You know what I think could snap you out of it (and even seriously helped me with lsd and 2cx hppd) was psilocybin.

There is no doubt in my mind that this is a "mild" form of HPPD since everything else have been ruled out. The first 2 weeks i actually thought that i had gotten a stroke or something, i had no clue what HPPD was, but since the docs said that i was fine i asked on a forum if anyone else had experienced something similar to this and several people described my exact symptoms after cannabis use and the litterature supports them as well, and since it all started after the use it must be it. And no, anxiety can't cause the visual disturbances that i have, i have had my fair of anxiety throughout my life (GAD and panic attacks) and i have never experienced anything like this before. I actually got the anxiety the following day because my vision was all messed up and i felt like a vegetable in my head. So please, just stick to the question in the topic.

that's just not possible.
You said it yourself, HPPD is poorly understood, so you really can't say that. But fact is that there are cases in the litterature were cannabis was the cause, go on HPPDonline and you'll find several other people that got it from it as well. But i do believe that it's much more intense for those that get it from stronger psychedelics like LSD and mushrooms.

no, it seems permenant, even after extended breaks of over a year or more from psychedelics.
I know it's not permanent, or well, for some it is, but it doesn't seem to be it for all.

"However, the ‘success’ of pharmacotherapy for HPPD should be treated with caution as this disorder appears to have a high propensity for spontaneous remissions – up to 50% of cases within a few months [Abraham, 2001]

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3736944/"

Found this old thred now, several people in it that has healed.

My own hppd has become entirely like my own Tinnitus. I’m so familiar with it, I don’t notice it, it never enters my thoughts really.

I certainly do not fret about it.

I’m talking about genuine physical brain damage related hppd from ecstasy and serotonin syndrome causing permanent visual lens defects, electrical squiggles, patterns, a pixelated black dot just off centre.

I only notice those permanent fixed visual lens scratches and displays in rightish sun. They float around, I can observe them for a moment and think literally, “oh yeah, them, I forgot about them...”

Within a minute I’ve bored, and my attention ceases to be drawn to it, but instead to the...supermarket shelf....room around me....friend I am with etc, who I can STILL choose to perceive and talk to.

So I just carry on with business basically, and like I say, I don’t fret. I would sooner have hppd than lose my arms, or my vision altogether, you hear me? (Or my ears lol)

Obviously my Longterm acid use has to be apparent visually, but again I’m so adjusted to it there’s no alarm to raise, and if it’s not something I can affect, and therefore NEED to actually think about, I just let it go and focus on the real stuff around me which I can affect, DO need to think about, with the precious time I have got.

Now cognitive decline, brain fog etc, isn’t pleasant. But it’s truly remarkable to me to imagine one use of cannabis would cause ANY lasting harm or alteration to the brain or visual field, let alone the same level of personal, preoccupying distress reported with the modern era of MDMA LTC “claimants” lol.

The thought struck me, was chance the weed was laced with a chemical.

I mean, the amount of cannabis, LSD, MDMA alone I have used over time, and worrying about hppd or even cognitive loss and compromisation, simply doesn’t enter my thoughts any day as a worry or a bother.

Too many real problems to even think about that shit.

Remember- what you focus on grows.

i can easily diagnose you now as one of those who believe they have every rare illness under the earth i think a psychologist would be best in this situation.

I will be nice about it you don't have HPPD. You 100% need to be checked for hysteria.

Nah, my vision hasn't cleared. It's been 10 years.
Yeah, I don't mind it so much. If anything it causes nostalgia for happier times for me at this point.

Did you keep even occasionally (say biannualy) using psychedelics?

Yeah, I don't mind it so much. If anything it causes nostalgia for happier times for me at this point.

Did you keep even occasionally (say biannualy) using psychedelics?
Same here, doesn't bother me.

Yes, I have.

i can easily diagnose you now as one of those who believe they have every rare illness under the earth i think a psychologist would be best in this situation.

I will be nice about it you don't have HPPD. You 100% need to be checked for hysteria.
An no, i'm as far away from a hypochondriac as one can be. Before those two hits of cannabis my life was at it's prime. A tip, stop drawing conclusions about and belittling people that you don't know. I truly wish that you could spend just one day in my body now, i'm pretty sure that it would have made you a more humble person and you most likely would never have touched a psychedelic ever again.

My own hppd has become entirely like my own Tinnitus. I’m so familiar with it, I don’t notice it, it never enters my thoughts really.

I certainly do not fret about it.

I’m talking about genuine physical brain damage related hppd from ecstasy and serotonin syndrome causing permanent visual lens defects, electrical squiggles, patterns, a pixelated black dot just off centre.

I only notice those permanent fixed visual lens scratches and displays in rightish sun. They float around, I can observe them for a moment and think literally, “oh yeah, them, I forgot about them...”

Within a minute I’ve bored, and my attention ceases to be drawn to it, but instead to the...supermarket shelf....room around me....friend I am with etc, who I can STILL choose to perceive and talk to.

So I just carry on with business basically, and like I say, I don’t fret. I would sooner have hppd than lose my arms, or my vision altogether, you hear me? (Or my ears lol)

Obviously my Longterm acid use has to be apparent visually, but again I’m so adjusted to it there’s no alarm to raise, and if it’s not something I can affect, and therefore NEED to actually think about, I just let it go and focus on the real stuff around me which I can affect, DO need to think about, with the precious time I have got.

Now cognitive decline, brain fog etc, isn’t pleasant. But it’s truly remarkable to me to imagine one use of cannabis would cause ANY lasting harm or alteration to the brain or visual field, let alone the same level of personal, preoccupying distress reported with the modern era of MDMA LTC “claimants” lol.

The thought struck me, was chance the weed was laced with a chemical.

I mean, the amount of cannabis, LSD, MDMA alone I have used over time, and worrying about hppd or even cognitive loss and compromisation, simply doesn’t enter my thoughts any day as a worry or a bother.

Too many real problems to even think about that shit.

Remember- what you focus on grows.
I'm glad to hear that you've learned to cope with it that well! Do you have visual snow, light sensitivity etc as well? No brain fog?

I pray to god that you're right about this not being permanent, but it's been 5 weeks now without any improvement when it comes to the visual disturbances and cognitive functions, but i quess that the brain heals slow. And no, the weed wasn't laced with anything, it was a friends homegrown Royal Cheese strain, i was even with him when he did the harvest.

Last edited by a moderator: