• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Anyone take beta blockers PRN for panic attacks?

BurritoJimmy

Bluelighter
So I went to the ER for another panic attack the other day (of course I thought I was going to have a stroke or heart attack at the time with HR of 160 and BP that got to 180/130 while just lying down). I was scripted Atenolol and was wondering if anyone has experience taking this or this type of medication alone or along with a benzo during a panic attack. What was it like, how long did it take to take effect, etc.

It is very helpful as it lowers your heart rate and sort of calms things down a bit. Usually beta blockers has an onset of around 30 minutes or so, in some cases longer but if taken at the start of a panic attack they should work quickly enough. Combined with a benzo, especially something like alprazolam, it quickly kills the panic attacks and leaves you feeling relaxed and no longer all wound up.

It is very helpful as it lowers your heart rate and sort of calms things down a bit. Usually beta blockers has an onset of around 30 minutes or so, in some cases longer but if taken at the start of a panic attack they should work quickly enough. Combined with a benzo, especially something like alprazolam, it quickly kills the panic attacks and leaves you feeling relaxed and no longer all wound up.

Agreed. Clonidine is another drug you might want to explore. It's not hard to get a prescriptioin for due to its lack of abuse potential. It can relieve a lot of the physical symptoms of anxiety, which in turn can help reduce some of the psychological symptoms of anxiety. For instance, the tightness in the chest area that I experience seems to be relieved whenever I take Clonidine and I only take it occasionally.

So I went to the ER for another panic attack the other day (of course I thought I was going to have a stroke or heart attack at the time with HR of 160 and BP that got to 180/130 while just lying down). I was scripted Atenolol and was wondering if anyone has experience taking this or this type of medication alone or along with a benzo during a panic attack. What was it like, how long did it take to take effect, etc.

a beta blocker wont do anything other than keep your HR and BP stable
its nothing spectacular no high just an aid to help keep calm
30 min to an hr for most to kick in
i dont honestly think you should need a benzo in conjunction with atenolol

i recently got a trial run of propranolol which is also a beta blocker and its been working great

Using 25 mg of metoprolol daily for panic/anxiety attacks. It works indirectly by lowering HR and BP, and increased HR and BP in situations without known causes is associated with panic attacks in patients, predisposed to them. I cant say it works very well (I used also propranolol and atenolol in various doses), but is surely controls my hearth rate and blood pressure. Possibly it helps as a placebo, because I know that even if the panic occur, my HR and BP will be lower as with no drug used.

Agreed. Clonidine is another drug you might want to explore. It's not hard to get a prescriptioin for due to its lack of abuse potential. It can relieve a lot of the physical symptoms of anxiety, which in turn can help reduce some of the psychological symptoms of anxiety. For instance, the tightness in the chest area that I experience seems to be relieved whenever I take Clonidine and I only take it occasionally.

Dont you have adverse effects such as somnolence and dizziness from clonidine? What dosages are you using?

Propanolol, 1mg Klonopin, and 20mg Adderall XR...

And I'm a presentation giving machine. Well just a machine overall, this combo is synergestic as hell.

I'm just cautious with going high doses with an amphetamine and a beta blocker...

I see it like this

The adderall gives you that confidence, euphoria, and focus. But increases HR, sweaty palms, sometimes shaky voice etc.

Klonopin relaxes your brain.

Beta Blocker prevents the negative physical signs of the adderall. And alone works well if you have any sort of tremors.

i used to get 10 5mg diazepam every week so used them for panic attacks but they stopped the script when i changed doctors. im now using propranolol at 80-160mg for panic attacks. your not supposed to but ive had faster results from chewing the tablet and keeping the saliva in your mouth. i was told by a doctor that propranolol and possibly other beta blockers work by stopping the adrenaline in your system so stops the fight or flight. please correct me if i'm wrong. beta blockers kind of work for me but if its serious you might need to look into stronger anti anxiolytics, and if this is long term maybe ask if you can get a psych referal

Dont you have adverse effects such as somnolence and dizziness from clonidine? What dosages are you using?

Yea for sure. This is my main issue with Clonidine. If I take it during the day, it can really slow me down and make me sleepy during the work day, but I've found that if I'm experiencing severe anxiety, the sedative characteristics of Clonidine are a lot less prominent. I'll drink an extra cup of coffee and be fine generally. Again, I only take it occasionally and half of these times are in the evenings before bed, in which case the somnolitic effects are definitely welcome.

Clonidine's definitely not the holy grail of drugs, but it's a real good "utility player" to have at your disposal. It's not amazing in any way, but it's good at inducing sleep and alright at mediating your level of anxiety. It's also great for Opioid addicts in controlling symptoms of withdrawal, such as perspiration, hot/cold flashes and blood pressure/pulse.

Thx for the replies I have a script for ativan rather than increase dose next time ill try the combo

I take propranolol for anxiety but never noticed it do much. Clonidine seems to work much better and helps a lot with sleep.