• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Misc Anyone Know if You can Still Get Thalidomide Prescribed as a Sedative in the UK??

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
Title says it all, really.

a/n: before people judge me I'm MALE and also gay so there's a 0% chance of any babies/birth defects going on

Cant see any uk doctor prescribing it as a sedative - its not easy getting any sedatives.

Cant see any uk doctor prescribing it as a sedative - its not easy getting any sedatives.

I was hoping to try it since my anxiety is very treatment-resistant. I have a history of benzo addiction so I'll never be prescribed them. I WAS on Phenobarbital (for seizures) but I tried to OD with them and was in a coma in intensive care for a week so safe to say I'm never getting barbiturates again, either. And just NOTHING else works. Thorazine is somewhat helpful but I've gone from taking 100-200mg maybe one or two days a week to taking 300-800mg every day. It helps with my like baseline-anxiety, but I'm still currently having anxiety attacks on a daily basis.
So, like, it's the only option left I can think of.
Unless you think my doc would be willing to try Hydroxyzine.

I was hoping to try it since my anxiety is very treatment-resistant.
NO it isn't you just think it is & "What I think I am"
I bet if you took up Zen Meditation for a few weeks it would cure this silly thinking.
I have a history of benzo addiction so I'll never be prescribed them. I WAS on Phenobarbital (for seizures) but I tried to OD with them and was in a coma in intensive care for a week so safe to say I'm never getting barbiturates again
Stupid is as Stupid does.
but I've gone from taking 100-200mg maybe one or two days a week to taking 300-800mg every day. It helps with my like baseline-anxiety, but I'm still currently having anxiety attacks on a daily basis.
Time to put your Big-boy pants on & get over it imho.

NO it isn't you just think it is & "What I think I am"
I bet if you took up Zen Meditation for a few weeks it would cure this silly thinking.

Stupid is as Stupid does.

Time to put your Big-boy pants on & get over it imho.

If you're joking: LOL
If you're serious: that is one of the most ill-informed and ignorant takes I have ever heard. And I have organic anxiety. As in caused by a physical chemical imbalance. No amount of thinking or meditating is going to change a physical brain problem. Might as well tell me to meditate my diabetes away.

Last edited:
If you're serious: that is one of the most ill-informed and ignorant takes I have ever heard. And I have organic anxiety. As in caused by a physical chemical imbalance. No amount of thinking or meditating is going to chance a physical brain problem. Might as well tell me to meditate my diabetes away.
Pretty sure he's serious. That's our zopiclone bandit.... chock-full of terrible advice no-one asked for 😉
Some people do swear by meditation, yoga, breathing exercises etc. though, to be fair.

Anxiety is a bitch, and although "put on your big boy pants" or "man up" isnt helpful, maybe lifestyle changes could help. Anxiety is a part of life unfortunately and managing it is something better learned with the tools you have naturally than taking more medication. Though I love me a fistful of downer's myself, as you know.
What meds are you currently on other than thorazine? I can't imagine hydroxyzine being a big-time lifesaver TBF. I know you take a lot of gabapentin; do you take it as prescribed or binge and run out early?
Have you spoken to your doctor about CBT or anything like that?

If you're serious: that is one of the most ill-informed and ignorant takes I have ever heard. And I have organic anxiety. As in caused by a physical chemical imbalance. No amount of thinking or meditating is going to change a physical brain problem. Might as well tell me to meditate my diabetes away.
I think meditation can help with any and all anxiety.

Ok - if you have an anxiety trigger - lets say you get an automatic 20 units of anxiety eveytime you look at one of Zopi's posts. Practicing meditation is not likely to lessen the level of anxiety produced by the trigger... in the way that you will still get 20 units anxiety when you see his posts

However. If you have a regular meditation practice rolling (and by regular , I mean daily) then your baseline anxiety level will be lower, so the impact of 20 anxiety units will now only feel like, say ,10 units would have felt previously when you were not using meditation daily.

You gotta try all the tools you can get hold of to help with health both physical and mental, drugs alone just won't do, unfortunately. You're young and looks like you've got some challenges ahead - great time to try and broaden your approach to wellbeing etc.

@ChemicallyEnhanced I too was young once! Thought my friends who actually looked after themselves a bit (y'know, actual effort re excercise / yoga / nutrition whatever, as opposed to just taking the occasional multivit) were dull, pissing in the wind and wasting their time

Turns out they had the right idea. Ouch.

No stress or lecture - just a quick reminder that other shit can be masively helpful to us other than drugs (which are, as we know, in truth rarely helpful).

The only thing I'd give you on a prescription is a good thrashing with a bull whip.

Goddamn Woke Crybaby!!!!

@ChemicallyEnhanced I too was young once! Thought my friends who actually looked after themselves a bit (y'know, actual effort re excercise / yoga / nutrition whatever, as opposed to just taking the occasional multivit) were dull, pissing in the wind and wasting their time

Turns out they had the right idea. Ouch.

No stress or lecture - just a quick reminder that other shit can be masively helpful to us other than drugs (which are, as we know, in truth rarely helpful).
The bitter truth is I know a man who helps people with REAL PTSD, folks from Guatemala who have escaped MS-13 after their whole family wer shot in front of them, people from Turkey who had their families crushed in the earthquake, people who survived Genocide in Ukraine etc.
Want me to tell him to contact you via email drop me your address and you can chat with him.

These aren't people crying on BL about how hard their life is, they have had family executed in front of them, being raped etc and it works for them.

Guess this stuff doesn't work for Western privileged fucking clowns though 🤔

The bitter truth is I know a man who helps people with REAL PTSD, folks from Guatemala who have escaped MS-13 after their whole family wer shot in front of them, people from Turkey who had their families crushed in the earthquake, people who survived Genocide in Ukraine etc.
Want me to tell him to contact you via email drop me your address and you can chat with him.

These aren't people crying on BL about how hard their life is, they have had family executed in front of them, being raped etc and it works for them.

Guess this stuff doesn't work for Western privileged fucking clowns though 🤔
Me? Or CE? Just wondering as you have quoted me

ptsd is ptsd is ptsd though by the way - it doesn't matter if it came from scenarios like you mentioned above, or from a dental appointment.

if the fight or flight bit of brain decides it feels massively threatened, then you can get ptsd. Also, 10 people could have any given traumatic experience and any given number of those 10 could develop ptsd, or may not. It's random.

I get what you're saying though trust me, "my advocado was too sloppy and it spilled on my new dress and now I'm tramatised waahhhh", etc!

I believe thalidomide was trialled for the symptomatic treatment of Hansen's disease (leprosy) and is used for such in a couple of nations. It's been trialled for the treatment for about a dozen diseases/conditions but it's not been in the BNF since 1964 so no UK doctor would prescribe it.

Why it displays anti-emetic and hypnotic activity is something of a mystary.

I believe thalidomide was trialled for the symptomatic treatment of Hansen's disease (leprosy) and is used for such in a couple of nations. It's been trialled for the treatment for about a dozen diseases/conditions but it's not been in the BNF since 1964 so no UK doctor would prescribe it.

Why it displays anti-emetic and hypnotic activity is something of a mystary.

I never even knew it was a sedative as well. I thought it was an anti-emetic.
Is the whole breaking bad thing accurate? That one isomer is the infamous mutagenic, but the other is harmless?

I never even knew it was a sedative as well. I thought it was an anti-emetic.
Is the whole breaking bad thing accurate? That one isomer is the infamous mutagenic, but the other is harmless?

I've never watched Breaking Bad. While yes, it's the (R) enantiomer that is teratotoxic, the (S) isomer is racemized in the body so for practical purposes, the (S) isomer (which was produced in Germany) is no safer.

I've never watched Breaking Bad. While yes, it's the (R) enantiomer that is teratotoxic, the (S) isomer is racemized in the body so for practical purposes, the (S) isomer (which was produced in Germany) is no safer.
YOU HAVEN'T FUCKING SEEN BREAKING BAD!?!?!?!?!??
Wowzaz man, I can't believe I once respected you...
You'd have loads of fun poking holes in the Hollywood science! 😘

I haven't owned a TV for decades. A friend watched it and said it was very poor. As if someone who REALLY was a chemist and who chose to make drugs would pick methamphetamine.

In real life 'cooks' make methamphetamine to use and for an income.

A chemist would make carfentanil if they wanted money fast.

Medicinal chemists simply find an opioid more potent than carfentanil that's LEGAL so they don't break the law AND to make the most money.