• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Anyone got life all figured out?

BornAgainYogi

Bluelighter
I'm 20. Yeah I'm guessing this is probably where life for alot of people gets hectic but is there a light at the end of the tunnel? I'm asking for people older with more experience and insight than I. Tips? Tricks of the trade? Things and people to look out for? Does this shit ever get easier? Life stories would be cool too. Thanks..

I figured it out at 18 and then realized I was on the wrong planet, life is full of kicks to the balls. Develop a thick skin and do some travelling, doesnt matter where, I suggest starting with the third world and getting your vaccinations up to date.

When you get older, the things you regret are almost never the things you tried, but the things you didn't do. Of course you need to modify this with common sense - you aren't going to regret not jumping off that 1000 ft cliff into 3 inches of water with no parachute. :D

Learn to be aware of the Floodlight of your senses - all that extra information that comes in along with the stuff you are focussed on. Focus is the spotlight of our awareness and it is a TINY amount of what is available, Learning to perceive the other stuff can save you heartache and trauma.

No one ever figures life out completely, but I will say that your twenties are pretty difficult in many ways, especially your early twenties. At this point you're just learning how to become an adult. My twenties were pretty intense, and now I'm 31. I noticed in the last couple of years I feel a lot more stable and confident in myself and who I am. Life is always going to be confusing and bewildering and painful sometimes, but if you make sure to keep growing and learning, it does get easier, in my experience. :)

you can either be a cog in the machine or get run over by the machine... either way it kinda suks dick...

..but is there a light at the end of the tunnel?

By the time you're an old person on their death bed you probably won't give a damn, you'll just be happy it's over!

This life is mainly about pain and fear. And money. But don't lose sight of your human-ness. If you go through life without a psychedelic experience (a proper one), a great sexual encounter, feeling love, feeling loss, etc.. then you haven't lived. Don't be one of those polite squeaky clean cogs in the machine that doesn't take the time to live at least once. You will not be thanked for your time paying taxes and giving hours to some company. Hell, at this rate you won't have a job at 50 let alone a pension!

Human civilization is a manure pile. We're either about to break through to something, or crash and burn (most likely). So you might as well relax a little.

I'm 27.

It never stops. Make the best of what you have. You've heard it a billion times, but are you actually "doing you"?

I disagree that this life is MOSTLY about pain and fear, and it's only about money if you allow it to be about money. I mean, yes, money is necessary to earn in this world (unless you get real extreme and live off the grid), but you don't have to make life about the money, just use money as a necessary tool. Life is also about beauty and love and joy. Sometimes it's about pain, and sometimes it's frightening or even terrifying. It's everything we ever experience, that's life. The range of possibilities for your life are infinite but you have to make it happen, and put some effort into being positive... then you will see more positivity reflected back at you and the world feels less cold.

The world is dotted with piles of refuse which are getting bigger and bigger, but there's so much in it that's beautiful and inspiring.

I disagree that this life is MOSTLY about pain and fear, and it's only about money if you allow it to be about money.

It's because most people in modern society seem to focus on pain, fear, and money. We work so hard to avoid it... for what?

Yes it's true a lot of people do focus on those things, and unfortunate. I'm just saying it's not necessary. I went through years of focusing on the negativity and all it got me was depressed... then I began to re-focus on the positives and try to emit those feelings, and now I find my viewpoint radically altered in a wonderful way. I am friends with many others who live the same way and most of my experiences, socially and otherwise, are warm and positive.

You can't avoid fear and pain sometimes... you have to accept that they're a part of life. But you also have to let them wash over you and not infest you because then they're all you see.

I get what you're saying Xorkoth, and I do agree with you to an extent. But the affordances we have in the West, at this time in history, make us very lucky individuals. For many people life is still about pain and fear, and we could quite easily fall back into that era of history too if we're not careful. Those people will still find the moments that make life worth living.. but they will acknowledge the fact that no amount of positivity changes the fact that life is brutal, that's just how it is.

I went through years of focusing on the negativity and all it got me was depressed... then I began to re-focus on the positives and try to emit those feelings, and now I find my viewpoint radically altered in a wonderful way.

How do you stay like this? There are times in my life where I do as you say, but it's like I eventually let the negativity slip into focus. Maybe I need to have another spiritual experience some time soon. :)

Open your heart to love, including yourself.
Open your mind to imagination, nurturing creativity.
Learn how to observe your ego, from a neutral perspective.
Understand that we actually understand very little.
Accept that at any moment your existence here may cease, and that this is nothing to fear.

How do you stay like this? There are times in my life where I do as you say, but it's like I eventually let the negativity slip into focus. Maybe I need to have another spiritual experience some time soon. :)

It's not always easy. I was in a bad marriage and addicted to opiates for 10 years... until the ending parts of that 10 years I was still in a fairly positive place but the accumulation of all that pain dragged me down eventually. In late 2013 I literally wanted to die and I was only aware of pain most of the time. I took ibogaine to cure my addiction and split up with my ex and suddenly I found that the two things causing me pain in life were gone, and my world was wide open. So instead of be passive about it, I took the opportunity to become involved in things I am passionate about. I became much closer with my friends, I started playing music again, I spent a lot of time outdoors, I started dating. Basically just filling my life with good things. I found then that it was so much easier to stay positive, because I was having positive experiences. I think the most important thing for anyone to do is to identify the things that aren't working for them in their lives, and then fix those things. For me, the main one was my relationship, it had become so toxic, and it was so hard to end it but it was one of the best decisions I ever made. I think a lot of people have things in their lives that they have the power to change that make them unhappy, stressed, etc, but they let those things continue out of convenience, or a sense of responsibility, or whatever. You only have one life, you have to live it to the fullest. For me, as long as I am living my life on my own terms participating in things I care about, and spending time with people I care about, I'm mostly happy.

I feel that at least, I know what to avoid definitely now.
Avoid thoughts of hate, negativity, judgments, greed, jealousy, ect at all time. Avoid thoughts of superiority. avoid any thoughts ideally as you cannot think and be right now.

Try to feel the love at all time and feel rather then think as we cannot understand or even be in contact wit the now while we think.

"Your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own unguarded thoughts" - Buddha

exactly as its your own unguarded thoughts that blocks the passage between you and the happiness within available at all time
"Your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own unguarded thoughts" - Buddha

The world is dotted with piles of refuse which are getting bigger and bigger, but there's so much in it that's beautiful and inspiring.

Life is just about finding out what is the pile of refuse and what isn't. :) I'm convinced that 99% of what I care about and pay attention to and value is meaningless garbage so my life's quest is to refine this until I have the truth/answer/light. <3

I think the world is probably getting better in many ways. If ignorance of the true nature of reality is a darkness, then wisdom and knowledge is light, and it would seem that, globally, there has been an increase in education quality/quantity which, if taken to its fullest, will psychologically and spiritually liberate the majority of humans and usher in a rational time of love and compassion for all life. The problems we have are caused by us, so only we can fix them. There is no help coming from outside; it can only come from here and I see signs that we are trying to manifest it. Hopefully we can all start sorting the gold from the shit soon enough.

So I think the key to living is being aware, gaining knoweldge and learning how to think. That aim can be lost in adolescence, but for me it reemerged in my twenties an has saved my ass ever since.

There is no light at the end of the tunnel. You've actually already got it, you just need to learn to see with it.

"There is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves".

I get what you're saying Xorkoth, and I do agree with you to an extent. But the affordances we have in the West, at this time in history, make us very lucky individuals. For many people life is still about pain and fear, and we could quite easily fall back into that era of history too if we're not careful. Those people will still find the moments that make life worth living.. but they will acknowledge the fact that no amount of positivity changes the fact that life is brutal, that's just how it is.

Life isn't actually brutal or grim or difficult. Its valueless and subjective. Its completely up to you also :)