• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Anyone got any advice on how to keep opiates from making you barf? :S

FunctionlJnkieGal

Bluelighter
I been taking opiates on a daily basis (mostly extended release morphine) for like 9 or 10 years now and I am yet to find a way to keep my stomach from turning at high doses (my daily dose is 15mg daily for 6 days a week but my weekend warrior dose is 300mg once a week with a little liquor). I only take them orally so I really need to find a way to keep them down so as not to waste money. I really hate when I gotta fish through my vomit for puked up pills, but I don't hate it enough to quit taking them or to quit drinking on the weekends. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Don't smoke or chew tobacco with them, it exponentially increases the nausea. I lost my lunch so many times on that combo, only to make the same mistake again.

Take less, going from 15mg to 300mg is a really big step and taking too much will make you nauseous. And don't drink while taking them as it'll increase CNS depression and can make nausea worse.
You could take anti nausea medicine, but nausea is a good sign that you're taking too much and your body wants to get rid of it so you don't OD

^this. Cyclizine is the go to anti-nausea medicine for the medical system in the uk (probably the us too from what I gather.)

Umm you look for pills in your vomit and swallow them that's well alarming

You can try taking 1 - 2 benadyrl every 4-12 hours

Cannabis, Bonine...

Opiate nausea is unstoppable though IME...although I've only gotten nausea to the point of vomiting after injecting heroin or morphine. Morphine is especially puke-y

Promethazine is almost always RX'd for this.

It's RX'd as an Opiate adjunct, meaning it'll take away the unwanted/negative side effects of the opiate, such as Nausea/vomiting, dizziness, and itching.

I'm RX'd Promethazine for this exact reason. Give it a shot.

nausea is a good sign that you're taking too much and your body wants to get rid of it so you don't OD

This is the truth! On a personal note, when my monthly allotment gets to where I'm cutting down drastically just to stay well until the next script (I mean like 1/10 - 1/20 of my normal dosage), every time I go to take (and I mean snort) my first dose I can almost feel my stomach turning before I even do the dose. It's kind of scary how your body knows whats up. I have puked during the first day back on the meds probably 4 - 5 times in the last year but yes, it sucks. Luckily, snorting eliminates the need to pick through puke but hey... The bottomline, is that yes! It means you're taking more than your body can handle. Tone it down a bit! Good Luck!