• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Anyone ever had sucess with topamax for benzo/opiate addiction?

Thread Necromancer MTG card.jpg

Sorry to bring this up,

but when I was first put on clonazepam, by my neurologist, 0.5mg bid,he also put me on a mild dose of Topamax, 75mg.During the whole time I took the Topamax, I felt slightly dumber, so I played a lot of complicated video games to exercise that gray matter. I lost all my extra pounds, went from 6'4 1/2 255lbs to 215lbs. So no wonder they came up with a pill containing Phentermine and Topamax in the same pill for obesity.

Anyway, here's the main point. AMPA receptor drugs like Topamax have helped me respect my clonazepam dose 100% for a year straight. Then when the 12 refills he had given me for it like for clonazepam, it wasn't so anymore, had difficulty only taking 1mg in 2 shots of clonazepam. AMPA receptor centered drugs offer some hope in addiction. I've read how it helps opiate withdrawal when tapered, not cold turkey, immensely. I will edit this post and add in some interesting links. Yeah Topamax is not an ideal drug, but if more people who are able to tolerate it try it in such situations, it might have some pharma company have a light bulb moment and develop more drugs that play with the AMPA receptor complex that don't share the weirdness of Topamax (look at Topamax's molecule, it's basically a kind of freaky fructose related molecule, no other drug in its kind other than fructose...not a really a drug, should have said chemical). I met my neurologist again some years later and he scripted me the same 2 things, a couple times, being ignorant that I had a Valium script from a psychiatrist then though...but valium + clonazepam has saved my ass before to help kick opiates, the first time I did it, and at the time, I was still taking 75mg of Topamax a day.It made getting rid, not that I wanted to get rid of it at all, but i wont go through it all again, but i was pu on a round the clock CodeineContin 200mg every 12 hours with an Oxycodan(generic percodan) for breakthrough, relating to my fucked up left jaw articulation and nerve area and the Dr who put me on that regimen retired, his office closed, getting back my files and proofs (x-ray's, CT's, MRI's), the fact I wore a prosthetic during the night molded on my upper teeth so I wouldn't grind my teeth while sleeping (major offender, especially as a child, no idea what causes it, but it sure didn't help the situation). Only when I got the files, from the doctor personally, he told me to drive to his house and he had all my files there, he was old alright, nothing was computerized when I visited him, we all had old school regular folders with sheets of notes in.

AMPA drugs have to be studied more (and have been). I intend on updating this thread with some links to further research I've read in the past, I can't now, time's pressing on.

Last edited:
I had the same result with Lyrica. My doctor put me on it for my spinal injury and after about a month I lost my mind. Couldn't leave my house my anxiety was so bad!
I'm on Neurontin(Gabapentin) for my spine/nerve injury and my doctor just put me on Topamax for the same thing.
My friend just told me his doctor put him on it to help with herion cravings I was surprised and hoped it would also help with mine.
I start detox tomorrow so I'll see if it helps with withdrawals along with the Gabapentin. Hopefully it stops my cravings

I cant believe we live in a world where people post the words "Relapse" and "Abuse" instead of living in a world where anyone can have any drug they want any time. How Foul and vile and torturous this reality is, where Authoritarian-Based Sociopathic Policy Setters make it so drugs are banned and make it so someone with a mental illness has to choose from a small list of medications that dont work at all instead of be abel to have anything they want

When even if they did get anything they want, with the very best drugs, a person with dysphoric depression would STILL be worse than the average person having a bad day, STILL. And yet they are banned where the person cant be prescribed demoral and fycompa, where the person cant be prescribed anything they need to reduce constant suffering since birth.

the people who make this policy so do not care, so long as its not them being destroyed or their family being destroyed its ok for others to be destroyed. They all feel euphoria all of the time naturally and can work and do things and function well. Who would THEY like it if THEY were afflicted by dysphoria, anxiety and such and someone else they never met set policy so they can only have medications that do not work at all?? How would they like it if their darkness & evil was reversed back onto them?

A person is more damaged from being a genetic dysphoric depressive than if they were abused as a child 500 times, yet the person cant have any medication they want and they are going to be programmed with PsyOps disinfo like "Abuse" and "Relapse"??

I'm confused. I thought this was about opiate addiction.

I really felt like Topiramate (Topamax) was one of those useless drugs that prescribers tend to throw at you. Kind of like Buspirone (Buspar). This is just my experience, so take it for what it is. Yours might be different.

for me topamax worked pretty well for opiate cravings in the short term (3-4 months) before complete tolerance developed. this drug seems to effect EVERYONE differently, but it gave me an extremely opiate like nod, not really any euphoria, but a nod that was quite similar to opiates indeed ...having that seemed to temporarily "replace" opiates and diminish my cravings. it did not affect my cognition or mood as it apparently does for some. YMMV

for me topamax worked pretty well for opiate cravings in the short term (3-4 months) before complete tolerance developed. this drug seems to effect EVERYONE differently, but it gave me an extremely opiate like nod, not really any euphoria, but a nod that was quite similar to opiates indeed ...having that seemed to temporarily "replace" opiates and diminish my cravings. it did not affect my cognition or mood as it apparently does for some. YMMV
What was your dose? I'm prescribed it for nerve pain and it's a pretty low dose. I want to talk to my doctor about raising it for opiate replacement, cravings.