Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • NSADD Moderators: deficiT | Jen

Misc Anyone ever gone on a road trip?

arrall

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone ever gone on a road trip? By yourself, with 1-3 other people, or in a larger group all count.
If you have, any advice (Getting + taking care of the van/RV/car/etc, what to do in terms of bringing or not bringing psychoactive compounds, what to get and do for eating/drinking/hygiene, etc) would be greatly appreciated.
Been thinking of getting a van and driving around the USA for a while at some point in the next couple years.

I’ve done some road tripping, not as long or casual as some but I’ve driven across the US number of times. Many times by myself.

I’ll be back with more later, for now I’ll say don’t drive through Nebraska lol. Sketchiest state I’ve ever been, they’re constantly looking for any sort of drug possession. Idaho and Florida aren’t cool either.

Denny’s is also the place I like to stop and eat as I travel, it’s easy to find and you can get halfway decent food like cooked salmon, broccoli and mashed potatoes.

Go through Montana and Wyoming, western Oregon and Washington are gorgeous too but something about Montana that just makes me feel like god resides in those mountains. Wish it wasn’t so expensive to buy land there.

-GC

I’ll be back with more later, for now I’ll say don’t drive through Nebraska lol. Sketchiest state I’ve ever been, they’re constantly looking for any sort of drug possession. Idaho and Florida aren’t cool either.
Looking forward to hearing more. Nebraska and Idaho wouldn't be my first guess for states hard on drug possession but I can definitely see it now that I think about it. And Florida comes as no surprise as someone who has been there many times.

Go through Montana and Wyoming, western Oregon and Washington are gorgeous too but something about Montana that just makes me feel like god resides in those mountains
Always had Oregon and Washington on the bucket list since I played through a game that takes place in Oregon as a kid, but I'll make sure to spend some time in Montana and Wyoming as well. I hope to visit all 50 states over the next 5 years or so. Currently, I've been to only 4 states (CA, FL, NY, and PA) and Pennsylvania was only for a day or two.

I’ll say don’t drive through Nebraska lol. Sketchiest state I’ve ever been, they’re constantly looking for any sort of drug possession. Idaho and Florida aren’t cool either.
Yeah there's a few spots like that. Rural areas, certain counties, borders between states (Texas/New Mexico legal weed) for example.

There are some places in Texas where the cops will pull you over for going 46mph in a 45mph lane (literally).

@arrall if you plan on bringing drugs its important to be careful when going from a state where weed is legal (even medical use) into a state where it's not legal, they'll get your ass

Southwest US (AZ, NM, East Texas) is the most boring uneventful fucking freeway you will ever drive on. A lot of middle US is also extremely boring to drive (prairie lands, flat, nothing to see)

Driving the Pacific Coast Highway is amazing, fun and beautiful, I'd recommend that trip. Lots of things to stop and do along the way!

Driving through the Rockies or Appalachia is also very beautiful and fun.

PacificCoastHighwayMapDrivingDistance.png

Looking forward to hearing more. Nebraska and Idaho wouldn't be my first guess for states hard on drug possession but I can definitely see it now that I think about it. And Florida comes as no surprise as someone who has been there many times.

Always had Oregon and Washington on the bucket list since I played through a game that takes place in Oregon as a kid, but I'll make sure to spend some time in Montana and Wyoming as well. I hope to visit all 50 states over the next 5 years or so. Currently, I've been to only 4 states (CA, FL, NY, and PA) and Pennsylvania was only for a day or two.

Something to keep in mind. Certain states, Nebraska being the one that comes to mind, will try to spook people carrying drugs. They know it’s illegal to stop everyone so they have signs that if you notice are permanent fixtures that they’ll flip up. The signs read “drug stop, k9’s in use” or something of that nature. DONT panic, that’s what they want you to do. These traps are located in the middle of nowhere so when you pull off they instantly know you’re up to something. I’ve heard and seen many people go down cuz of these. Just keep on driving.

Also stock up on quality snack foods at grocery stores cuz obviously there’s nothing good on the road. Keep sugar minimal so you don’t crash on the highway. Nothing tests your energy’s abilities better than a long drive.

Podcasts and talk shows seem to work better than music for staying awake.

I always do longer stops at rest stops over truck stop gas stations. Idk why but cops generally don’t pay much heed to people chilling in rest areas, on the contrary they get weird when they see a random vehicle parked in the back of a gas station lot.

I’ll add more as I think of them :)

-GC

@arrall if you plan on bringing drugs its important to be careful when going from a state where weed is legal (even medical use) into a state where it's not legal, they'll get your ass
This is the Idaho situation in a nutshell.

Except to the southeast (Wyoming & Utah), they are almost completely surrounded by recreational marijuana states (Wash. & Ore. to the west, Nevada to the southwest, and Montana to the east) but maintain total prohibition within their own state: no medical use whatsoever & no decriminalization (any quantity is a misdemeanor, 3oz is a felony).

Speaking of Utah, there's a large & influential Mormon presence in southern Idaho. And while not huge in numbers, militia groups are prominent in the northern part of the state (e.g., around Coeur d'Alene), where they have a lot of support among the "civilian" population.

EDIT:
Driving through the Rockies or Appalachia is also very beautiful and fun.
True, but remember to bring tire chains for your van if you plan to be driving through any mountainous areas out West between October 1st and May 1st.

Just a few days ago, I couldn't get home from Yakima on I-90 since there was a wind/snowstorm in the Cascades big enough to require chains on all vehicles, legally as well as commonsensically, so I had to drive 6.5h in a loop to the south instead of 2.5h across the mountains.
------------------------------------
:green banana:Post #1000!:green banana:

Last edited:
Anyone ever gone on a road trip? By yourself, with 1-3 other people, or in a larger group all count.
If you have, any advice (Getting + taking care of the van/RV/car/etc, what to do in terms of bringing or not bringing psychoactive compounds, what to get and do for eating/drinking/hygiene, etc) would be greatly appreciated.
Been thinking of getting a van and driving around the USA for a while at some point in the next couple years.

I haven't but I really want to. I love the idea so much.

Yes, I've traveled extensively by car in the United States, and also fairly extensively in Canada and Mexico. I've been to every American state except Hawaii.

Whether you're traveling on a budget or are literally living out of your car, lol, a good place to post up is often in 24-hour shopping complexes like a Walmart supercenter or something like that...anywhere with a massive, sprawling parking lot that's well lit and has some level of activity ongoing (this suggestion is less relevant if you're in the main interstate arteries, where there are usually plenty of 24 hour rest stops/truck stops etc.). That way if you need to take a dump or something you can just stroll into the store and use their bathrooms

I would advise not traveling too close to the US-Mexico border if you have anything questionable...the Border Patrol has checkpoints along the east-west corridors that skirt the border where your 4th amendment rights as an American citizen WILL be violated. You may be able to fight the case in court but it'll take time and money and it's best just to avoid the entire situation. I think that you may be able to find a map of the current checkpoint placements online

Here's a couple highways I've enjoyed:

Oregon, 22/20 (from around Salem, through Bend, and onward until it connects with I-84): a beautiful forested winding road that cuts through the Cascade Range, before transitioning into Highway 20 out of Bend heading east, where it looks like you're driving on the surface of the moon...VERY rural

Arizona, 93 (connecting Las Vegas to Phoenix, through Kingman): a very nice scenic drive through the rural American southwest

If I think of anything else I'll come back

I would advise not traveling too close to the US-Mexico border if you have anything questionable...the Border Patrol has checkpoints along the east-west corridors that skirt the border where your 4th amendment rights as an American citizen WILL be violated. You may be able to fight the case in court but it'll take time and money and it's best just to avoid the entire situation. I think that you may be able to find a map of the current checkpoint placements online
Glad you mentioned that, I meant to add something about Border Patrol. He's a Canadian, FWIW, but non-citizens in the US have the same 4th Amendment rights regardless (INS v. Lopez-Mendoza, 1984).

as an American citizen
I appreciate the advice and have heard about the border 4th amendment "exception" before. I am not a US Citizen as I live in Canada, but I believe that fortunately the 4th amendment also applies to non-citizens while inside the USA.
Oregon, 22/20 (from around Salem, through Bend, and onward until it connects with I-84): a beautiful forested winding road that cuts through the Cascade Range, before transitioning into Highway 20 out of Bend heading east, where it looks like you're driving on the surface of the moon...VERY rural

Arizona, 93 (connecting Las Vegas to Phoenix, through Kingman): a very nice scenic drive through the rural American southwest
Will probably take both of those, sounds wonderful.

Something to keep in mind. Certain states, Nebraska being the one that comes to mind, will try to spook people carrying drugs. They know it’s illegal to stop everyone so they have signs that if you notice are permanent fixtures that they’ll flip up. The signs read “drug stop, k9’s in use” or something of that nature. DONT panic, that’s what they want you to do. These traps are located in the middle of nowhere so when you pull off they instantly know you’re up to something. I’ve heard and seen many people go down cuz of these. Just keep on driving.
Jfc, don't they have anything better to do? What a joke, people literally pay for that...

Idaho has a for-profit prison system that they really enjoy filling. Which really sucks cuz honestly Idaho is one of the most beautiful states IMO. But I refuse to go there anymore out of principle.

Oh also add Maca to your coffee, can’t stress enough how helpful Maca can be for long drives.

-GC

ive traveled, 18 hrs alone, but dont really like more than 10, but camping road trips, i take dogs(their needs), weapons, some obvious some quite stealth, a cooler with block ice,zip lock bags and wet wipes, Slime tire sealant, flares, extra cash stashed real well, lots of dried fruit and nuts, beef jerky, more water then you think you will need, tarp, binoculars or telescope books and paper, duck tape, goodies to barter with, lighters, shake flash light, liquor and sunscreen and a blankets(down & wool)fold up chair, extra keys and a grey, they make excellent GPS`s.....safe travels.... the list is longer but def wish you happy trails

I've been to Miami, Key West, Orlando by car from Pennsylvania 3x. You can do it by yourself, if you're young. I'd need a travel companion or a hotel room to do that again. Good music for the ride.

Shorter trips I've been to Niagara Falls-Buffalo, Boston, NYC, Philly, DC. Just as fun, and a lot less tiring.

You'll want some cheese along the way. Maybe cheez-its. Water. a must.

One thing I can advise is work away.

You get to know the local hippies basically and get exploited by them.
All good fun.

You do 5-6 hour of work and you get food and bed.
No better and faster way to integrate and learn about the local culture.

I done the road trip in Sweden and stayed at campsites etc..which gets pretty boring after a month.
Then somebody told me about this absolutely brilliant.

One campsite owner didn't even know what system bolaget was yet lived there for two years....

Totally recommended.
I just wish I done it when I was younger but then again it wasn't available then and had other life priorities (I was self employed by age 22).

Do choose your host wisely they're not all hippies.
My one's even fed me local mushies lol.

Don't know exactly what is road trip,but in the past wandering all the country hitch hiking,sleeping on the beaches,travelling on foot most of our mountains with only a sleeping bag,some canned food,clothes and knife.You need only desire and some free time to do that....and don't be worry too much,if you missed a shower.

ive traveled, 18 hrs alone, but dont really like more than 10, but camping road trips, i take dogs(their needs), weapons, some obvious some quite stealth, a cooler with block ice,zip lock bags and wet wipes, Slime tire sealant, flares, extra cash stashed real well, lots of dried fruit and nuts, beef jerky, more water then you think you will need, tarp, binoculars or telescope books and paper, duck tape, goodies to barter with, lighters, shake flash light, liquor and sunscreen and a blankets(down & wool)fold up chair, extra keys and a grey, they make excellent GPS`s.....safe travels.... the list is longer but def wish you happy trails

You bring up a good point. Have at least the most basic of weapons easily available. I carry those rods truckers use to check their tires, basically a cut down broom handle with a metal end. Guns are nice too lol.

Depending what you look like and where you are, the US of A can be a dangerous place. Just keep that in mind, some places are pretty much lawless.

The least safe places to me personally were certain cities, very rural mountain settings, and Florida lol.

-GC