• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Anyone else suffering with poor memory, years after giving up MDMA?

So nitrous is definitely not one to play with, and neither is GHB.
Ugh. This made my heart sink. I did quite a bit of GHB back in the day precisely because it was touted as being very benign in terms of long term effects (provided you didn’t take too much of it in one go). Now reading the research that’s been done on it since, I feel quite ill thinking about what damage I might have inflicted on my mind.

Anyway, I’ve taken steps to see a neurologist and at least get them to take a look. Maybe they might find some explanation or cause but I doubt it. My suspicion is I’ve just fried my brain with drugs and there is nothing that can be done about it. A nurse friend suggested I neglect to mention the drug taking aspect of my history, which I’ve done, although I’m not sure this is truly the best way to go about it. Let’s see….?

I have heard in time it gets better

Last edited:
Anyway, I’ve taken steps to see a neurologist and at least get them to take a look. Maybe they might find some explanation or cause but I doubt it. My suspicion is I’ve just fried my brain with drugs and there is nothing that can be done about it. A nurse friend suggested I neglect to mention the drug taking aspect of my history, which I’ve done, although I’m not sure this is truly the best way to go about it. Let’s see….?
there are ways to improve cognitive function, backed by research. they take work, and consistent practise.

studying a technical subject (as per @lonelyDude above)/working in a technical profession is a good way to improve some aspects of cognitive function. i haven't worked on improving my memory cos though i know its shit, i'm lazy, i can do my job and live my life with it in its current state. but i'm sure there are ways you can improve it, just look for things backed by actual research,

good luck with the neurologist. i'm in 2 minds about disclosing drug use in cases like that, it is certainly relevant, but you don't want to be dismissed cos of it. but in all honesty, given the length of time you've been clean for i don't think its relevant.

Meditate and learn something that uses music and body movement.
The meditation will make the neural connections denser in your brain.
the music with motion will remap the brain through the denser network.

Again we are plastic if you put the work in.

Ill give ya a year or two if you have'nt etarded your self to bad.
Still though I never got it all back (though I seem better at somethings than I was in the past)

Last edited:
ive had 100's of grams of the stuff MDA MDMA DMMDA MMDA DMMDA-2 TMA-2 so on ....

ye I had problems with my memory for a long time and still do for names.

but ive also got a 6.8 GPA our of 7 for computer science so you can get it back.

practice makes perfect and remember we are fully plastic and let no one tell you otherwise.

You’ve eaten MMDA? DMMDA? I wanna know more! (In another thread or PM.)

-GC

Hmm, I have done shitloads of MDMA, must have been rolling between 50 and 100 times, maybe even more. I also did loads of GHB/GBL and incredible amounts of speed, benzos, alcohol, opiates, research chems. I cannot say that my brain has been affected in an obvious way. I was tested for IQ when I was a child and I tested myself again last year and it was exactly the same IQ score. Memory is also really good. I am not convinced about these claims of severe neurotoxicity, I would be badly damaged if these drugs were really that bad. I have seen severe mental decline in a friend who took excessive amounts of Extasy pills (unknown chemicals, basically), he even lost loads of words for common things. Could have been toxic impurities in the pills he had, though.

Are you sure it is the MDMA? Maybe you have a medical issue that is not drug related?

Hmm, I have done shitloads of MDMA, must have been rolling between 50 and 100 times, maybe even more. I also did loads of GHB/GBL and incredible amounts of speed, benzos, alcohol, opiates, research chems. I cannot say that my brain has been affected in an obvious way. I was tested for IQ when I was a child and I tested myself again last year and it was exactly the same IQ score. Memory is also really good. I am not convinced about these claims of severe neurotoxicity, I would be badly damaged if these drugs were really that bad. I have seen severe mental decline in a friend who took excessive amounts of Extasy pills (unknown chemicals, basically), he even lost loads of words for common things. Could have been toxic impurities in the pills he had, though.

Are you sure it is the MDMA? Maybe you have a medical issue that is not drug related?
we are all different and one shroom trip or acid trip can fry some kid yet I can take them since six and still be ok.

its really like rolling dice we just dont know and as of yet other than a few if you have mental issues there is no real way of telling when your bubble will burst or if at all.

trust me MDMA does etard people big time it just depends on how much was taken and the person involved.

This happens because the seritonine is pushed out of the reuptake terminals in the axon.

this stretches the reuptake terminals so they are big enough to let the polar dopamine in which will then due to its phenolic group bleach the fuck out of your seritonine production centre.

some people bleach quicker than others :)

Last edited:
I agree that MDMA seems to be more dangerous in this regard than other amphetamine type substances. I am pretty sure that straight amphetamine does not do much damage as it leaves serotonin alone. Countless people on Adderall or Ritalin show that amphetamines are relatively benign. They conducted studies on MDMA users here in Germany, they basically found a bunch of heavy users and followed them over a few years and did repeated IQ testing over the years. They learned that the low IQ individuals were affected quickly and badly, their IQs dropped substantially over the years. The high IQ individuals did not deteriorate that much, they could somehow compensate the damage or there was less damage for unknown reasons.

It was only a newspaper article in German, can't find it now. Not sure how valid this is. But this friend of mine who was terribly damaged was not very bright in the first place, which confirms this observation.

this bleaching thing to my knowledge is purely a MDMA and maybe MDA (though I have not checked that) thing.

most other phenethylamines bind at the site rather than using your own serotonin to get you high and there damage is much like meth by over stimulation of the receptor.

please do know though my base knowledge is in chem in this area and not pharma its just maps did heaps of research into MDMA and found this.

It may be that my limited knowledge in pharmacology is not seeing the entire picture here but it shows the basic idea that it is indeed a drug that damages the brain.

"A team of researchers in Italy examining the role oxidative stress in MDMA neurotoxicity in mice given four 5 mg/kg injections every 2 hours (Fornai et al. 2003a; 2003b) found strong evidence of oxidative stress and damage to dopamine axons "

this is old news and probably there is much better info than a 18 year old paper on it from an organisation that was meant to be studying it the entire time.

for that you will have to look.

Last edited:
Yes! I thought I was the only one with this problem. I asked my friends if the same thing had happened to them, but they didn't notice it.

I even started taking an online memory test every month and keeping track of the results, and I noticed that my memory had gotten 9% worse over the last six months. Sometimes I get scared because I read an article that said that taking MDMA long-term increases the risk of dementia. Has anyone heard anything about this?

Last edited: