• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Anyone else get morphine depression?

Walter1252

Bluelighter
The morphine ER is helping my back today but I do now notice a correlation between when I take it and how depressed I feel.
Anyone else feel sad on morphine?
If so, any remedies?

When I took big doses of opiates it would make me angry sometimes, or easily annoyed anyway. I think it had to do with hormones, opiates reduce testosterone

Opiates make me feel pretty numb, I tend to not experience joy as I would normally when I'm on them for a substantial period of time. But that could also be because I tend to use them when my mood is low anyway.

Benzos (high doses) are far worse though, I become very irritable and angry, like a bad drunk basically.

Cannabis helps me lighten up.

Last edited:
Thx all
Seems pretty specific to morphine. Doesn’t happen with all the other opes I have or have tried.
Will give that black seed oil a try.
Will try to counter it with caffeine and a bit of cannabis today.
it’s pretty low does ~30mg ms er

Opiates inevitably cause depression. I'd assume that it only occurs with morphine for you because you've been on morphine the longest as opposed to the others? Just my hunch--could be totally wrong.

Ironic how an amazing anti-depressant like opioids makes you depressed but it's definitely true for most longer users. I attribute it to low testosterone from use. Low T=feeling crappy all the time and fatigued. If you need morphine for pain relief you might as well just bite the bullet and figure out how to adapt with the side effect. Every substance is a trade for a trade.

Opiates inevitably cause depression. I'd assume that it only occurs with morphine for you because you've been on morphine the longest as opposed to the others? Just my hunch--could be totally wrong.

Ironic how an amazing anti-depressant like opioids makes you depressed but it's definitely true for most longer users. I attribute it to low testosterone from use. Low T=feeling crappy all the time and fatigued. If you need morphine for pain relief you might as well just bite the bullet and figure out how to adapt with the side effect. Every substance is a trade for a trade.

strangely naw. I don’t take the morphine often. Usually hydromorphone. But even with the hydromorphone + morphine = depressed.
ya I hear Ya on trade for trade. I’ve also bowel disorder so the constipation side effect is even worse. Linzess not helping.

The cannibis and caffeine are helping a bit re: the morphine depression.

Caffeine and opioids is a top tier combo. However, i must say that opioids in the beginning for some reason make introverted people become very outgoing and want to go places for fun. After your body adjusts to it somehow it makes most people hermits. The depression could also be from staying indoors too much or just chilling around isolated. it's important to see people in your life whether you're on drugs or not :cool:

Caffeine and opioids is a top tier combo. However, i must say that opioids in the beginning for some reason make introverted people become very outgoing and want to go places for fun. After your body adjusts to it somehow it makes most people hermits. The depression could also be from staying indoors too much or just chilling around isolated. it's important to see people in your life whether you're on drugs or not :cool:
This is so true and this corona thing ain't helping. oh and OP hrymorphone made me cry a lot for no reason but not with other opioids, my doc being H.

I feel you. I don't really struggle with anxiety but my depression has been abnormally bad this month.. resulting in me using some chemical assistance to spark me out of bed here and there. Inevitably somehow I end up being more depressed despite the drugs obviously not being the best coping mechanism. But they allow you to feel good some of the time. I refuse to take anti-depressants. Ironic I know... I'm not sure if it's just what it's like being a male (or that I have some abnormal brain chemistry that doesn't appreciate life like a normal person can). I feel so dull all the time and no matter how great my life is that won't be changing ever. It's okay we all have our burdens. Some days are fine but others it's hard to get past the hour with what I feel. I wish I could be honest with my doctor but she's wicked intelligent and I haven't formed a super personal relationship with her yet. The script I have come to love is too valuable to risk her flagging me down as an addict and sending me to soberville for an unforseen amount of time. My old doctor did not give a crap about any of his patients and left us all abandoned withdrawing on god knows what. He was sketchyyyy. Anyway the point is that I get the vicious cycle.

It is possible to learn to control your usage at least even a little bit to find a line between "do I need this for mental or physical pain right now?" and be truly honest with yourself. Opioids are the only substance that I've ever known to be somewhat like a relationship. She'll whoop your ass if you mistreat her but otherwise she's fairly okay just a little naggy. I'm probably sure you know that heroin takes you straight to the worst depression imaginable after a few good highs. But I can tell you that when it comes to opioids it's going to get harder to stay on them in the future regarding depression. So just discern whether or not you're living your best life or just breathing air while high on morphine. It really does make a difference to really engage with things that have meaning to you. Otherwise you'll just be continuously gloomy and being on opioids all day everyday is so miserable.

Yeah I get that a lot but I think it’s because the numb feeling just starts to remind me of everything I’m trying to escape but then I’m high too so it feels less important to address if that makes sense.

I've never experienced depression from opioids, although I have on other drugs like benzos

Also - it really fucking annoys me when drug naive people say shit like the reason you're depressed is because you drink, alcohol is a depressant.... yeah buddy way 2 different things

I'm also someone who thinks "depression" is purely psychological and not biochemical. So there is that.

I've never experienced depression from opioids, although I have on other drugs like benzos

Also - it really fucking annoys me when drug naive people say shit like the reason you're depressed is because you drink, alcohol is a depressant.... yeah buddy way 2 different things
Haha yeah I hate the depressant excuse

For me it depends on the opioid and how it’s used... But it seems I get less depression from more synthetic opiates, and more from natural/semi-synthetic opi’s.

Buprenorphine is an antidepressant for sure. Dihydromorphine and esters of aren’t bad, Oxycodone too.

Morphine and to a lesser extent heroin do put me into a depressed state, especially if taken orally.

-GC

I was just recently experiencing the same thing with poppy tea. I hadn't used it in a year and just recently made a batch and it did nothing but numb and depress me. No euphoria or anything. I originally questioned the quality of the poppies, but after multiple different extraction methods nothing changed.

I was just recently experiencing the same thing with poppy tea. I hadn't used it in a year and just recently made a batch and it did nothing but numb and depress me. No euphoria or anything. I originally questioned the quality of the poppies, but after multiple different extraction methods nothing changed.

For me too, the depression is worse if I’m fresh back into it after some time away. Opiates only truly become fun to me when I’m addicted to them, if I don’t need them they depress me but once that dependency starts I love em lol whatdya know...

This is probably why I didn’t really take to opiates until I tried Oxycodone a few times. I had already tried morphine many times before and wasn’t impressed but I just kept at it like a good lil addict til I got it right

-GC

It's a change in Dopamine levels that cause mood alterations. Chronic Opioid Use -> Reduced / Fluctuating Dopamine Levels -> Low Mood / Anger / Hostility.

^^^ i have never had or felt any form of anger or hostility while on or off any form of opioids. Only depression and mostly when detoxing or some specific med of the class but never any anger or hostility. Weird or I'm just a special case lol

^^^ i have never had or felt any form of anger or hostility while on or off any form of opioids. Only depression and mostly when detoxing or some specific med of the class but never any anger or hostility. Weird or I'm just a special case lol

Well Depression is a clear sign of reduced Dopamine levels, u dont need to be angry or hostile really.