• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Anyone else get depressed while tripping?

Adamrodgers

Greenlighter
I have a lot of experience with psychedelics: acid around 30 times, shrooms around 10, 4homet 2 times, lots of rolling, some 2cs, etc. Sometimes when I'm tripping, I go through waves of depression. There is no immediate cause of this and it is quite annoying, especially because I love psychedelics when they aren't making me feel like this. I have always seen that these drugs are beneficial to those with depression so I was wondering if any of you guys experience this or if you have any advice for me as I do plan to trip again.

Try to find the root of your depression and at the minimum give it some effort. That way your conscience isn't bogged down when taking psychs.

I find the opposite effect. Normally I want to blow my brains out, but on acid and shrooms, its nothing but happiness.

I do get spurts of gloom at times. Just a dismal impending doom feeling. Other times I get quite hung up on what it is I should do "next" with my life. The feelings, even if they are brought on by the psychedelics end up being met with the psychedelic mindset and I enjoy that slant in my thinking when it's all said and done.
I don't really take psychedelics because they're necessarily easy street.
Work through it. If you can't and it becomes to unbearable, well psychedelics may just not be for you unfortunately.

Don't suppress it, you may realize something your subconscious hasn't yet acknowledged and you could really work out a few things. The tripping isn't getting you depressed, just revealing it.

The acid brings 50% of the experience and you bring the other 50%. I think you deserve a few hours off from depression when tripping tho - tell yourself you've got the rest of the week to be depressed but for the next few hours you'll enjoy yourself.

Psychedelics are unparalleled in their ability to accentuate your emotions.
Though it does seem to be negative emotions that are most magnified.

Having a mood disorder makes it all the more important to make sure there is nothing to be 'brought to the surface'.
After several experiences of tripping ending in a train wreck of suicidal thoughts and deep regret for everything I'd ever done, I learned quickly.
Though I must say: those negative trips taught me way more about life than any 'positive' trip ever could. Nothing like being forced, whether you like it or not, to evaluate your life and the choices you've made to make you think before acting a little more...
After one experience, I woke up the morning after and systematically contacted every person I'd even slightly wronged recently with a sincere apology and a willingness to mend/improve our relationship. It may have been agony during the trip but well worth the experience.

It may also be helpful to stick to psyches with less potential for bad trips - aMT springs to mind as a good choice, it is very difficult to have a negative experience on, in my opinion. Though it is still possible - I vividly remember enjoying making love only for my partner's face to begin morphing.
No faster way to ruin the mood...
BK-2CB feels quite safe in that regard, though at higher doses it does have a rather dark, demonic edge. YMMV and all that.

I'd certainly avoid lysergamides, DMT and Salvia.

I can relate to this. Havent figured out exactly whats up yet, but some things I know:
- space out your trips. Really... In some moments I was having mostly bad trips, but I think my mind was just tired of tripping. When you give your mind plenty of rest (several months, maybe 1 + year), when you trip again is almost like trippin for the first time!
- try not to have pending business in your life, or that may haunt you while tripping.
- not every thought should be given attention. Most thoughts we have are just noise and distract us from enjoying the moment. When a bad thought comes, try to let it just pass by, like leaves floating on a river.
Actually that last part i have assimilated from what I have learned of zazen meditation practice. Sometimes the thoughts that are comming are not important and you should not let your mind be stuck on that loop. The best thing is to exercise letting them go. If it keeps coming back, than maybe it is something worth looking into.

- oh! Very importan too: if you smoke cannabis, try to see if this isnt making you feel worse. I have stopped smoking cannabis almost completely because it was frequently leading me to negative thought loops, SPEACIALLY if smoke on top of something else. I know this has something to do to which kind of weed you are smoking too (and the balance of chemicals in it), but the weed I have access to doesnt give me a good high.

Well, at least this is how I am trying to deal with it...
I miss so badly those times when mushrooms were pure joy and euphoria. I have been avoiding shrooms since my last Bad trip with it, 6 or 7 years ago. And I dont even think it was those kinds of usefull bad trips, it was purely bad, nothing good came out of it that I remember.
I've had some great trips lately, but I am still to try shrooms again...