View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Anyone else get bad anxiety when using psycadelics

justtakethat

Bluelighter
When using the only two psycadelics iv ever used i got such bad anxiety from dxm that i tried throwing it up and sleeping it off. Then when i did shrooms even tho i was in an alright mindset as soon as i started to feel them i got very shakey and couldnt stop shaking. It was a pretty bad panic attack. After that tho it was alright. Sometimes i get anxious before doing drugs but nothing like before i do psycadelics, anyone else like that? Maybe that group of drugs just isnt for me.

I've been taking psychedelics for about 15 years and dealing with generalized anxiety disorder and panic attacks for about 10. I never really had anxiety when tripping before the anxiety disorders became a thing, though. I've found that some psychedelics have more of a tendency to induce anxiety than others, and for varying reasons.

DXM will sometimes make me pretty anxious during the come up and come down, but rarely during the peak. It's mostly from the physical discomfort of those periods for me. I've found that going for a long walk and listening to headphones can be a really nice distraction during these periods, and as an added bonus I usually wind up finding some relatively private (for being outside) spot to relax in for awhile once I really start tripping. I think I'm just too detached from things to have much anxiety during the peak, and since physical sensations are generally pretty absent at that time I don't stress about much (my anxiety usually being triggered by worries about my body). I don't know if you're a pot smoker, but getting stoned while tripping on DXM pretty much ALWAYS gives me a panic attack, and I've heard similar reports from others. Unfortunately with DXM there's not a lot you can do aside from try to relax and ride it out since most anti-anxiety drugs are fairly unsafe to use in combination with DXM.

I've found with mushrooms that as long as I'm with a good friend who will be understanding and caring if things go south I can pretty easily deal with most anxiety. What I find triggering with mushrooms is just how emotional and confusing the experience can be, it puts me in a very vulnerable position which can be very bad if I'm around people who are going to roll their eyes anytime I express anything other than blissed out wildness. Being alone on anything other than a very light dose can also be very anxiety inducing for me I think because the intensity of emotion is just there inside of me with nobody to talk through it with or relate. On the plus side, with mushrooms it's generally pretty safe to take most drugs to treat acute anxiety if you have access to them, albeit they might dull the whole trip. I'll take a slightly duller trip over an hours long panic attack any day, though.

On that note I would just say that you pretty much just have to try and develop tools for dealing with it, and make sure your environment and trip buddies will be good for you. Of course you can only really know what works for you through trial and error, and it is entirely possible that these sort of substances just aren't for you at this point. Maybe they will be later, maybe not. I'm curious whether you deal with anxiety in general outside of drug use, or if it only rears its head in those instances. If it's the former, I would suggest maybe focusing on getting a handle on that before you dive in with psychedelics, or at least stick to low doses and maybe build to more powerful experiences if those work out for you.

Good luck!

Anxiety is common with psychedelics. They aren't pure recreation. If you can't deal with anxiety constructively and you don't have benzos on hand, maybe they aren't for you. As stated above set and setting are hugely important.

Weed is much more prone to causing anxiety, though. Do you have this issue with weed?

I've been taking psychedelics for about 15 years and dealing with generalized anxiety disorder and panic attacks for about 10. I never really had anxiety when tripping before the anxiety disorders became a thing, though. I've found that some psychedelics have more of a tendency to induce anxiety than others, and for varying reasons.

DXM will sometimes make me pretty anxious during the come up and come down, but rarely during the peak. It's mostly from the physical discomfort of those periods for me. I've found that going for a long walk and listening to headphones can be a really nice distraction during these periods, and as an added bonus I usually wind up finding some relatively private (for being outside) spot to relax in for awhile once I really start tripping. I think I'm just too detached from things to have much anxiety during the peak, and since physical sensations are generally pretty absent at that time I don't stress about much (my anxiety usually being triggered by worries about my body). I don't know if you're a pot smoker, but getting stoned while tripping on DXM pretty much ALWAYS gives me a panic attack, and I've heard similar reports from others. Unfortunately with DXM there's not a lot you can do aside from try to relax and ride it out since most anti-anxiety drugs are fairly unsafe to use in combination with DXM.

I've found with mushrooms that as long as I'm with a good friend who will be understanding and caring if things go south I can pretty easily deal with most anxiety. What I find triggering with mushrooms is just how emotional and confusing the experience can be, it puts me in a very vulnerable position which can be very bad if I'm around people who are going to roll their eyes anytime I express anything other than blissed out wildness. Being alone on anything other than a very light dose can also be very anxiety inducing for me I think because the intensity of emotion is just there inside of me with nobody to talk through it with or relate. On the plus side, with mushrooms it's generally pretty safe to take most drugs to treat acute anxiety if you have access to them, albeit they might dull the whole trip. I'll take a slightly duller trip over an hours long panic attack any day, though.

On that note I would just say that you pretty much just have to try and develop tools for dealing with it, and make sure your environment and trip buddies will be good for you. Of course you can only really know what works for you through trial and error, and it is entirely possible that these sort of substances just aren't for you at this point. Maybe they will be later, maybe not. I'm curious whether you deal with anxiety in general outside of drug use, or if it only rears its head in those instances. If it's the former, I would suggest maybe focusing on getting a handle on that before you dive in with psychedelics, or at least stick to low doses and maybe build to more powerful experiences if those work out for you.

Good luck!
Thanks for the advice, have you ever used psycadelic on a low dose of a benzo like .5 of lorazapam or .5 of kpin?

Thanks for the advice, have you ever used psycadelic on a low dose of a benzo like .5 of lorazapam or .5 of kpin?

Xanax turned a nightmare trip into a joy one time. Benzos do dull the effects, though. If you take a higher dose you can trip pretty good without the anxiety, but it's good to keep in mind that it's far more constructive to work through the anxiety instead of automatically medicating it. It can be incredibly beneficial psychologically, long term.

I have a panic attack disorder and it doesn't interfere with my ability to trip out at all. However, if I smoke the tiniest speck of weed my heart rate will skyrocket and start beating like a jackhammer and I'll fear for my life, my limbs will all go numb, last time ended up in the hospital just going fucking nuts begging for mercy. Screaming actually. Had to be tranquilized. So yeah fuck weed (from this vantage point). Weed used to mellow me out lol. Now it gives me a psychotic panic freakout (if I were to be dumb enough to go anywhere near the stuff).

When I'm tripping I can't ever recall dwelling on anxiety. I guess since I'm so used to being anxious anyway, and I'm comfortable with the psychedelics.

Try some kava kava tea, works for me. Benzos also work but they put you in a different state of mind so some people feel that they decrease the quality of the trip. For anxiety, though, they may just be the perfect solution. One time I took a ton of acid and my heart was just pounding like a piston. I was hyperventilating and freaking out, my hands were shaking uncontrollably, ect. and then I took a valium and I was completely fine.

LSD used to give me a lot of anxiety off and on, and it was a regular side effect of being high on it oftentimes for me. One time I had a panic attack on 7 grams of shrooms. That only happened once. Heck, even weed--which some such as myself might argue is mildly pscyhedelic--used to give me anxiety sometimes. But stuff like MDMA, no, not me. Methamphetamine doesn't usually give me anxiety either. Bad coke comedowns, though, yeah that feels like a (bad) form of anxiety. I no longer use cocaine, thank god! I remember taking some Ativan for generalized anxiety before which my psychiatrist prescribed, and it worked immediately and great the first time I took it. Then he started giving me 90 x 2mg Klonopins a month, and I would always try to sell them. Now I hardly ever get anxiety. It's kind of a pointless feeling; try having a little faith in the goodness of the universe next time, maybe? After all, you can't (arguably) change anything that's going to happen to you in the present, past, or future. Que sera, sera! Whatever will be, will be. The future's not ours to see. Que sera, sera!

As the Zendo Project says "Trust, let go, be open". These experiences are growth opportunities. Accept these feelings, ask yourself why you have these feelings. Whether through psychedelic experiences or the stress of life, eventually these things get brought out. The benefit of psychedelics is you explore these aspects of your consciousness on your own terms.

If you are using classical psychedelics such as psilocybin from mushrooms your physical safety is guaranteed. Perhaps in the future you could have another person sit with you and explore the troublesome thoughts you mentioned. You could then integrate and move past those thoughts. This is how you make progress.

The more stimulating the more anxiogenic it is, so if you have anxiety stick with indole based non empatogens they are usually mostly only agonists at serotonin receptors.
I'd also mix with green tea and chamomile tea, to calm neuronal short term potential which can increase anxitety if the energy isnt transfered into Long term potential;
green tea: Pro-LTP, chamomile: Count-STP so the combination is even better.

If you have Benzodiazepines and nootropics its even better. Same principle but replacing chamomile with benzo and tea with noots.

I had the same problem and now I only use noots during peak and benzo on end.

I would suggest learning to meditate, to anyone even thinking about using psychedelics.Bad trips and anxiety will become a thing of your past.Taking benzos isn't the solution.Why take drugs to overcome other drugs.Meditation will empty your mind ,and all stress and anxiety, will vanish.

Does kava reduce the effects of psychedelics like benzos and booze?

benzos don't really decrease the effects, they just change your set. Taking psychs in a high tension setting will feel much more intense, right? So it stands to reason that taking psychs while relaxed, albeit artificially or naturally, will feel less intense and give you less of a head trip. You won't be stumbling over your own thoughts as much which makes it seem less strong, but in reality it's just your emotions which intensify the trip. My source is experience.

Last edited:
I would suggest learning to meditate, to anyone even thinking about using psychedelics.Bad trips and anxiety will become a thing of your past.Taking benzos isn't the solution.Why take drugs to overcome other drugs.Meditation will empty your mind ,and all stress and anxiety, will vanish.

I completely disagree. Meditation, while it is an amazing tool for both sobriety and psychedelics, is not a replacement for anti anxiety drugs in the case of a psychedelic crisis. Even being an experienced meditator myself, it took me a while to learn how to adapt this to the psychedelic state. At first it was almost impossible to close my eyes for very long.

Once you're far enough into the anxious trip, or even once you've dosed high enough, meditation can become less and less helpful. Some people will even say that closing their eyes makes their anxiety worse due to the lack of external stimulation/distractions. Meditation can reduce anxiety but there does come a point when it's simply not enough. I've been there personally. I've even seen someone on an LSD trip get so high that they couldn't understand language, he was just screaming and babbling. He even urinated on my mom, not recognizing where he was or who he was with, so needless to say the idea of meditation would not have been able to form in his head. I would hate to see that happen to someone who didn't have a xanax or something put away. Even after I put the valium into his mouth (you couldn't exactly get him to listen when you told him to swallow it) he still continued to freak out for a good 7 hours.

I also notice that after a meditation session on mushrooms, the visuals will become more intense and noticeable even after opening my eyes. Sometimes meditation works better than benzos, but sometimes it just thrusts you deeper into the state you're already in. It's always good to keep benzos around in case of an emergency, and to say otherwise goes against the premise of harm reduction.

There are certain risks you take on when you ingest psychs. You have to be prepared for the worst. Better to be safe than sorry.

PS, the LSD was tested, so there is no chance of it being some RC.

Last edited:
Have you ever been truly terrified on psychedelics? You will notice that fear driven hallucinations are much complex, aggressive and immersive, and I believe that to an extent, the simple dopa/adrenaline agonism of acid can trigger this without you being aware. I would even go so far as to say most people experience this, and the only reason benzos "decrease" effects are because you're not used to being truly relaxed on LSD. This isn't strictly limited to a fear response. If you're having intense positive emotions, this can also increase the effects of hallucinogens.

Going off of that, any downer would decrease the effects of psychedelics. Even if you're not aware of the fact that you're in a stimulated mindset, most of the time, you are. Not that benzos necessarily decrease the positivity you may be feeling, however they certainly make you more distant and emotionally carefree, so you're not focusing as much on what you're feeling. There's a difference between feeling happy due to positivity, and feeling happy due to not giving a fuck. For example, as someone with anxiety disorders, taking a benzo will often times make me a lot less observant and hyper-aware of my emotional state, which makes me forget about my anxiety.

I've had trips which were decreased by benzos but I've also had trips which weren't. Dependence on the variable of my mood at the time leads me to believe that my statements hold up. i.e. if your heart is beating heavily, that's a good sign that benzos will decrease your trip. If you're already calm or unimpressed, they don't really do anything to potency IME

Last edited:
Ill probably do shrooms maybe 1 more time but i think im just too anxious of a person in general to enjoy psycadelics(not counting weed) opiates are way more fun anyway in my opinion so ill just stick to my drugs of choice