• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Anyone else feel like this?

fermonos

Bluelighter
You know when you smoke weed, and it feels like your having a full on heart attack because your beat is going so fast and shit?

I get it a lot, used to put me in huge panic attacks but I finally over the past few years of doing other drugs realised it's just the drugs, and it will go away sooner or later. So I can deal with it now without freaking out but it kinda ruins my high. I wanna just be mellow and chilled, not feel my heart beating faster than if I just railed a mix of coke mdma and meth all at the same time.

You know when you smoke weed, and it feels like your having a full on heart attack because your beat is going so fast and shit?

I get it a lot, used to put me in huge panic attacks but I finally over the past few years of doing other drugs realised it's just the drugs, and it will go away sooner or later. So I can deal with it now without freaking out but it kinda ruins my high. I wanna just be mellow and chilled, not feel my heart beating faster than if I just railed a mix of coke mdma and meth all at the same time.

Weed makes me feel like I'm going to have a heart attack and full-blown panic attack every time I smoke it. If this is the reaction you get, why the hell continue to use it? I can't tell you how many people I've heard and known complain about the anxiety week gives them, and yet they continue to smoke... I don't get it.

This is nowhere near enjoyable and I can't understand why you'd want to continue to indulge when that's the result. Put it down forever, you'll be happy you did.

U wanna know why I smoke it? Seem reason an addict shoots up. Obvious isn't it?

Only difference about me is I don't care what high it is, as long as I'm not sober then I'm good. I'd be on opiates if it was my choice though, but it's getting a bit expensive and I'm enjoying trying new things. Like weed, since I used to be really scared to smoke it for many years because it gave me panic attacks every time. Anyway it has its ups as well as its downs just like everything, one of them being it making almost everything humorous. Next few days/weeks I'll be trying 2C-B and LSD, not together though. Not at first anyway but maybe I'll mix them after trying both.

ANYWAY. The point is, I'm sure you know just as well as all of us who use the website why we continue to torture ourselves with drugs, we just can't face the world when sober.

sounds like a panic attack/severe anxiety.
when i stopped smoking weed my anxiety got much much better, just saying.

I'm sure you know just as well as all of us who use the website why we continue to torture ourselves with drugs, we just can't face the world when sober.
I'm sure you are also aware of this, but I just feel the need to address this point... this is really not a healthy reason to use drugs, and I would like to think that the majority of users on this website are using drugs for reasons other than this.

Again I don't mean to call you out here but I really do think that this is a harmful stereotype to perpetuate because it's generally what the average drug-naive and drug-averse-leaning person would assume - that the only reason why people use drugs is because they can't face sober reality... which actually I think is in most cases very far from the truth. And honestly, again, if this IS the reason you are using drugs, then you are at the beginning of a slippery slope down a dark road that will not lead to anything good, and I would really encourage you to seek out other outlets, to address this issue in other ways.

On the thread topic, all that said, I am also quite familiar with the drive to keep smoking weed out of a, basically, irrational desire to just feel altered even when the actual feeling of being stoned is no longer enjoyable... I eventually got over this and realised the obvious solution, and I really think you just need to find a way to change your thinking about this also because the repeated induction of stress and anxiety is not good for you either.

Weed is often spoken of as a very benign and almost harmless substance and while I understand the reasons for this and even support it as far as it supports the cause of ending the senseless "War on Drugs", I think there is a culture around stoners and people who really enjoy weed that it is a substance that just should be enjoyed, whereas in actual fact some people just don't react well to it and should really stop using it before they cause themselves some lasting psychological damage. In my experience also, some of those that do really enjoy it have little real understanding of the negative effects it can have, and will say things like "You just need to relax!" which obviously while being well-intentioned is generally pretty unhelpful advice, and even harmful in that it contributes to this culture that weed is something that people should just learn to enjoy if they are drug users.

Obviously your reasons for continuing to smoke might be different, I'm just relaying my own experience, but yeah, in summary, if a substance consistently makes you anxious or induces negative feelings, it really is a no-brainer what you need to do. If you're hellbent on continuing to use it regardless then you can probably mitigate these effects by combining it with other substances, benzos, alcohol, etc, but this is not a sustainable solution, and such advice is probably not in the spirit of harm reduction except perhaps as a means to stop you from giving yourself some kind of anxiety disorder.

I'm sure you are also aware of this, but I just feel the need to address this point... this is really not a healthy reason to use drugs, and I would like to think that the majority of users on this website are using drugs for reasons other than this.

Again I don't mean to call you out here but I really do think that this is a harmful stereotype to perpetuate because it's generally what the average drug-naive and drug-averse-leaning person would assume - that the only reason why people use drugs is because they can't face sober reality... which actually I think is in most cases very far from the truth. And honestly, again, if this IS the reason you are using drugs, then you are at the beginning of a slippery slope down a dark road that will not lead to anything good, and I would really encourage you to seek out other outlets, to address this issue in other ways.

On the thread topic, all that said, I am also quite familiar with the drive to keep smoking weed out of a, basically, irrational desire to just feel altered even when the actual feeling of being stoned is no longer enjoyable... I eventually got over this and realised the obvious solution, and I really think you just need to find a way to change your thinking about this also because the repeated induction of stress and anxiety is not good for you either.

Weed is often spoken of as a very benign and almost harmless substance and while I understand the reasons for this and even support it as far as it supports the cause of ending the senseless "War on Drugs", I think there is a culture around stoners and people who really enjoy weed that it is a substance that just should be enjoyed, whereas in actual fact some people just don't react well to it and should really stop using it before they cause themselves some lasting psychological damage. In my experience also, some of those that do really enjoy it have little real understanding of the negative effects it can have, and will say things like "You just need to relax!" which obviously while being well-intentioned is generally pretty unhelpful advice, and even harmful in that it contributes to this culture that weed is something that people should just learn to enjoy if they are drug users.

Obviously your reasons for continuing to smoke might be different, I'm just relaying my own experience, but yeah, in summary, if a substance consistently makes you anxious or induces negative feelings, it really is a no-brainer what you need to do. If you're hellbent on continuing to use it regardless then you can probably mitigate these effects by combining it with other substances, benzos, alcohol, etc, but this is not a sustainable solution, and such advice is probably not in the spirit of harm reduction except perhaps as a means to stop you from giving yourself some kind of anxiety disorder.

The proper reason I'm using drugs is because I was in hospital 5 month after falling from a 3 storey window. I was on Morphine and Codeine every 4 hrs or something for the whole 5 month stay. I was fine at this point though but when I had a script of codeine after leaving hospital and I started doing 210mg to see what it did to me. Ever since then I just can't handle how shit it is compared to high. I like opiate high the most, it's like having a blanket over everything and I can control stuff around me more easily without anxiety and fear getting in the way.

If you found a pill which made everything in your life 2x better, with no negative side effects apart from how much it cost. Would you go back to the 1x life? Or stick at 2x?

That's what being high to me is like. I don't care about what high it is, as long as I don't feel myself then I'm in a much better state to handle life.

^ real sorry that's the way you feel everyday fermonos. i can relate, i was in hospital for 24 weeks on pain meds the whole time and came out with a real nasty morphine habit. did no one offer you methadone or sub maintenance/detox when you were discharged tho? i was put straight on methadone after they discharged me.

but yeah, sounds like your use is problematic - i would describe it as negative escapism. ever tried counselling? feels like you got some shit you need tp get off of your chest mate.

just a suggestion, feel free to correct me.

Last edited:
Probably a mild panic attack thing. It kind of feeds in itself. You panic a little, which raises your heart rate, then ypu become more aware of your heart rate, which adds to it.

First thing i always want to ask is how much you smoke. 99% of the time i find that the person is having too much. One good hit of high quality weed is plenty. 2 should get one very high. If you're smoking 5, 7 + hits, it's simply too much.

Keeping and Phee are both right.

I'm not smoking much, I'm doing small bowls, about half of a normal one and only done two atm. It's just what you said though, it starts with my heart racing a little bit and my mind catching on then I just spiral into a panic attack. I almost done it last night but I got over it, before I'd just go into a manic state.

I think now I can just get over it, realise it's just the weed and I probably don't even feel like that. It's just because my brain signals are all messed up, you know chemicals and stuff. So I just go with it now, it was like two month ago when I done MDMA the first time sober and 15 mins in I started to get into a manic state and almost had a panic attack but put a song on and within 30 seconds all the panic went away and I just chilled out.

sounds like you know where these negative feelings are coming from man, don't wanna preach but deff cut down on the drugs, pal? that's actually a great outcome cause there's your solution right there - no crazy psychoanalyzing and shit, wish you the best in your recovery man.

I get this way, too where smoking weed makes my heart rate go way up and makes me paranoid. I can't enjoy it any more. :(

I'm so glad it's not just me, so now I know it's 100% the weed haha. Thanks guys

I'd just like to add that at least for me, there have been stages. Im now in my late 40s. I started smoking weed at 13. Its been regular, but only on the heavier side back in my late teen years. I kept productive over the years, made some mistakes but always kept it pretty cool. Nowadays i have a small pinch here and there. I would think that i shouldn't be sitting around ripping bing hits like i did in college.

For me, and for some people, it's almost like medicine. It's part of my life, but a small part. It works well with me. For some people, it doesn't. It's not for everyone.

So stages. As teenagers we'd have that kind of adventurous paranoid psychedelic thing like "oh man, everybody KNOWS". Later on in life I'd get more of that guilty "dude, you're stoned again, grow up". But then i hit another stage where im at now. Besides the fact that i just have a pinch here and there, or an edible treat. And now, i don't care. I'm not hurting anyone, im living my life and doing what works for me. I'd like to think I've grown up and I'm more selective with my use, but why should i run around nervous, or worried about "what people think". I'm not blatant, i follow laws, im a good guy. And i like weed. I'm an adult and i can do woth my body snd mind what i want, and im not going to take away from my life by fretting over things.

For me, and for some people, it's almost like medicine. It's part of my life, but a small part. It works well with me. For some people, it doesn't. It's not for everyone.

"I have always loved marijuana. It has been a source of joy and comfort to me for many years. And I still think of it as a basic staple of life, along with beer and ice and grapefruits - and millions of Americans agree with me."
Hunter S Thompson

Some people just get heart palpitations or a racing heart beat. I KNOW what you mean it happens to me as well. Sometimes you can even see my shirt moving with the beats.

Take a benzodiazepine 30 min before you smoke, short acting ones like Alprazolam, Lorazepam or even a small dose of Midazolam work best. Sorted, I never struggled with that racing heart again and enjoyed the true feeling of cannabis as it should be experienced.

OP Yes, I use to think I was dying. I also get paranoid sometimes. Haven't smoked weed in a over a year partly because of "the fear" I would get while smoking.

It wasn't always that way though.

I get this, but only on the FIRST time when I haven't smoked in a month or so. If you smoke regularly it goes away. Then if you stop and start again the first time will have a panic type attack. Also indica's seem more likely to cause it for myself. I don't know if that's the same for everyone.

When I smoke alot of weed I would laugh so much it gives me heartburn.....sounds weird but I'd be sitting there laughing my bollocks off punching my chest trying to burp....weird.

Don't smoke weed anymore just makes me paranoid.