• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

anyone else don't understand drug education

drug100

Bluelighter
all my life i have been taught in school that drugs are bad and that i will become a schizophrenic or kill my family. they should just say the truth and say how to use drugs like take mdma every 90 days to never have any health problems for example. i tried drugs because i wanted to see if drug education is useless and it really was. i do drugs every 90 days and i go to school and i have everything going good. when people offer me drugs i always refuse. it has to be every 90 days and the comedown never bothers me because i am happy to be back to reality. what is your opinion?

Yes I think they do exaggerate about drugs and alcohol a little to much, but they are somewhat right and for good reasons. Drugs really can ruin your life. It is just when they blow it out of proportion it gets annoying.

Yes I think they do exaggerate about drugs and alcohol a little to much, but they are somewhat right and for good reasons. Drugs really can ruin your life. It is just when they blow it out of proportion it gets annoying.
i think the biggest problem is the people that do drugs everyday because they are addicted and it gives us a bad name if we do drugs. if only people would do drugs in moderation and use it to have fun in a social event because lets be honest. everyone likes to be out of reality from time to time like new years (which most adults get drunk to be out of reality).

A lot of it can probably be blamed on the USAs previous propaganda against drugs. I can't remember the name of the documentary right now, but I saw one about weed and the states and they shared some of the old propaganda posters. These included sayings such as "If you smoke marijuana, you WILL commit a homicide" and "If you smoke marijuana, you WILL do heroin"

I think they exaggerate because at the time, the kids don't know any better so they take it as true. They don't want people using drugs, because people who don't use drugs think that drugs are the reason for all the worlds problems and every single person who uses drugs is a terrible worthless addict.

If they told you the TRUTH about drugs when you were a kid, then it would come off as something you ABSOLUTELY must try!

i think the biggest problem is the people that do drugs everyday because they are addicted and it gives us a bad name if we do drugs. if only people would do drugs in moderation and use it to have fun in a social event because lets be honest. everyone likes to be out of reality from time to time like new years (which most adults get drunk to be out of reality).

I think that's a pretty close minded view. Drugs aren't stigmatized because of the people that use them all the time, because if that was the case, than alchohol would, and should be considered no better, worse or different than any other drug, as there are plenty of alcoholics that drink every day, and often wind up in worse shape than a heroin addict. ( and yet alchohol is still considered "different")In my opinion, the drug "problem", is really a government problem. Drugs are often associated as being counter culture, and the people that use them are a "threat". If heroin and cocaine were legalized, and dispensed in the way that alchohol is, I believe that there would be a large drop in crimes as well as drug overdosage.

And as far as drug education goes, I believe they should just state the facts, pertaining to addiction and harm reduction. I think if our society didn't try to put as much fear into the education of drugs, there probably wouldn't be as much interest in them in the first place. However, I don't mean to say that children should be taught that using drugs is a good thing to do. Certain drugs are by nature addictive, and at some point it doesn'have anything to do with our societal perception of them. But this nonsense about drugs turning people into monsters, is just not a healthy or productive thing to teach and it clearly is not all that effective.

they should just say the truth and say how to use drugs like take mdma every 90 days to never have any health problems for example.

I'm sorry, what? -- I know that you meant "to never have any health problems [caused by your drug use]. Still What?

On topic: Yeah, in my country you can usually read flyers with totally false information about drugs, I mean, leaflets writen in an educational fashion saying things that are simply not true.

the 'anti-drug' education i received was silly and ridiculous; i remember learning about pcp in class and all i could think of was how much fun it must be lol. In highschool i did a whole presentation on DXM which led me to trying it for the first time. Drug education really opened up my little mind to all kinds of drug use. When i had to do my DXM presentation i looked up all sorts of stuff on erowid obviously preparing myself for the intense research i would do on all kinds of psychedelics later on, in that sense i think drug education worked well for me. :)

i wish i would have been taught to drink alcohol responsibly instead of making a fool out of myself at first. My education on alcohol was limited to wearing 'drunk goggles.'

all my life i have been taught in school that drugs are bad and that i will become a schizophrenic or kill my family. they should just say the truth and say how to use drugs like take mdma every 90 days to never have any health problems for example. i tried drugs because i wanted to see if drug education is useless and it really was. i do drugs every 90 days and i go to school and i have everything going good. when people offer me drugs i always refuse. it has to be every 90 days and the comedown never bothers me because i am happy to be back to reality. what is your opinion?

Are you crazy? You're saying that schools should advocate ingesting mdma to children? Yeah, that's a great idea haha. Abstinence should still be taught. If abstinence wasn't taught drug use would skyrocket because kids would think it's okay. It needs to be exaggerated to the point that it is because the people that are dumb enough to believe it are also the ones that would kill themselves without such propaganda.

Are you crazy? You're saying that schools should advocate ingesting mdma to children? Yeah, that's a great idea haha. Abstinence should still be taught. If abstinence wasn't taught drug use would skyrocket because kids would think it's okay. It needs to be exaggerated to the point that it is because the people that are dumb enough to believe it are also the ones that would kill themselves without such propaganda.

Is there data to support your claim that "if abstinence wasn't taught drug use would skyrocket..."
and if so, could you post it?

The drug education I received at school was basically mostly lies.
Then as I got older and experimented with various drugs I realised that what I had been taught was not truthful.
They should teach that some people may fuck themselves up with drugs but that it is possible to take drugs and not end up selling your body for your next fix whilst living in the gutter.

If abstinence wasn't taught drug use would skyrocket because kids would think it's okay.

You don't really believe this, do you? The truth is that students engage in risk-taking behavior; they always have and they always will. It's inherent, as the part of the brain that allows one to assess risk and make sound, logical decisions has not yet fully developed. It's the reason for why, from an adult perspective, young people do so many dumb things and often make such foolish decisions.

This, coupled with what some might argue is an inherent human desire to experience a change in consciousness, and well there you have it, the recipe. It might explain why even very young children spin in circles, hold their breath, and so forth...

So to believe that what we teach or do not teach in schools will significantly affect the number of young people making the decision to experiment with substances in the first place is a bit misguided and naive, don't you think?

I think that all we can do is arm students with enough information, enough practical knowledge to keep them as happy, healthy and safe as we possibly can. This, at least, should be what drug education in schools consist most of as opposed to the just-don't-do-it approach.

I think that all we can do is arm students with enough information, enough practical knowledge to keep them as happy, healthy and safe as we possibly can. This, at least, should be what drug education in schools consist most of as opposed to the just-don't-do-it approach.

This^

The drug education at my school was sparse and extremely vague.
The STAR program.
They never taught us about specific drugs or slang terms,
besides referring everything to just being "dope".
Just stay away from them and report anybody doing them.
(like that stuck, it was so uninformative I didn't even realize they were talking about pot or opiates)

Then when i got into highschool there were health books,
with blatant lies and really dumb misunderstandings
"MDMA is basically the exact same thing as meth"
or
"Cannabis and Hashish are different drugs"
or
classifying PCP and heroin as stimulants while treating methamphetamine as if it was it's own class of drug.

But by that time i had already figured most of the facts out.

How very routine of you, every 90 days? No sooner? No later? Well done for bein in control of your use. But what about the people who cant control their use & cant do every 90 days, but every 90 minutes? Do we just say "its your own fault, deal with it" & forget about them letting them spiral into self destruct mode? Most people wont ask for help, but many will accept help when encouraged.

As for education in schools, at least you guys got SOME!!! Around here (northern ireland) i dont think there is anything at all in place to raise awareness of the dangers they face if they use stuff, at least there wasnt any when i left school 10 years ago. But me & my colleage are going to change that.

I remember back in middle school we learned about LSD stickers being handed out to children to get them hooked on it. We also had to rank a lot of drugs on how bad we thought they were, only to be given the revelation that they are all as bad as each other.

Good stuff!

^ha, I had a doctor refer to LSD as an "upper"

To be fair, it does exhibit a lot of the same actions as a classic psycho-stimulant. Inability to sleep, flight of thoughts, increased heart rate and blood pressure, mydrasis, and being that it acts at more than 5HT...i.e. at norepinephrine and dopamine receptors, it is a proper sympathomimetic, and therefore properly in the broader category of stimulants. s/he was not wrong.

Yeah high school drug education is pretty damn lame and in-accurate, post secondary stuff like you will find pharmacology, medicine, nursing, or other health related university level course work, is however, really quite good and gives one a better understanding of what exactly these chemicals are, and how they work. (Then assuming you have a grasp of anatomy and physiology, maybe you can come to your own conclusions on the risks and harm or lack of caused by them)

drug education is completely twisted in schools for the most part.

firstly, how can we accept advice from the mouths of people who have never done it and know nothing except what they have been told?
How can anyone tell us what we can or can not put into our mouths?
How can anyone not see the hypocrisy of the fact that alchohol, tobacco, caffeine, and medicines are all drugs too? and often they are more dangerous than the illegal (ie untaxed) drugs that we can purchase readily.
abstinence will never work.
humans are programmed to enjoy dopamine, endorphine, seratonin, and oxytocin because they are all produced in the brain naturally, and are not sinful or wrong to enjoy.
therefore there are no "gateway" drugs, only feelings we naturally desire more of.

drug education should be about harm reduction and balanced, well-researched scientific facts.

if the money wasted on the war on drugs was used on research and education, then we would have significantly less problems.
most drug deaths or drug related problems are down to lack of information, education, availability, reliability, support and acceptance.
Not to mention the amount of people who are arrested, killed, or harmed as a result of the inevitable underground criminality of the drugs world due to idiotic legislation.

i learnt more through bluelight in a month than in 25 years of government sponsored "information".
long live BL!

Drug education sparked my interest in trying drugs in the first place. The ex-addict made them seem so enticing! :D

Drug education kept me in the dark for so long because I actually believed everything they said when I was young. I was given the idea that all drugs were equally bad and to never do any of them. I was not given any distinction between weed and heroin. I think thats why when I first started doing them and saw that it wasnt such a big deal, I felt betrayed by the propoganda that society and the people I trusted most in the world, my family, fed me and decided I wanted to try everything because if they over-exaggurated weed, they must have done so with everything else too. Im not going to blame this entirely on the exaggerated anti-drug propoganda I received all my life prior, because I obviously had other problems going on in high school as well, but I was the one who tried heroin within 10 months of the first time I ever got drunk, my first experience in an altered state of consciousness. Thank god im getting this shit under control though.

I remember being told by one of my health teachers that smoking cannabis before puberty can result in a young mans... growing boobs.

I also remember sitting in the office one time and an intern health teacher or student health teacher or whoever came in and sat down next to me; I asked whether or not this was true, the growing boobs thing, and he just laughed and told me no, not to worry, and that it wasn't true. lol