• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Anyone can analyze MRI pictures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFireDragon

Greenlighter
Hey i'm wondering if anyone is able to analyze MRI pictures of my brain, I took MDMA about 2 and a half years ago and it backfired on me and my brain just got really burnt and felt really damaged, Its been like I said over 2 and a half years since and the burnt feeling went away after about 2-3 months but it still felt and still feels really damaged even tho its gotten alot better it still feels like I ruined it pretty hard.
I've also might have gotten schizophrenia from smoking weed, Anyways basically what i'm wondering is if anyone can analyze my brains MRI pictures because doctors did a MRI with contrast awhile back and see if there appears to be any inconsistencies or if everything looks good. Maybe something out of the ordinary will appear cause of the suspected schizophrenia or if anything appears cause of all the drugs and primary the what felt like true brain damage 2 and a half years ago.
Theres quite alot of pictures tho, 192 if I would take the largest size, only 6 if I reduce the sizes tho and show more than 1 per time, that would cut the amount of pictures needed to 6, Not sure how big it needs to be tho to analyze, I could upload/post/send samples of different sizes and you can tell me which looks the best.
I would highly appreciate if someone would take the time and help me with this, It's affecting my life in such a MAJOR way, You really cant imagine how such a HUGE part of my life gets effected by just this one event that happened 2/half years ago.
I'm also later going to get a PET scan on my brain aswell which will show other things.

Thanks!

Well MRI reading for beginners goes like this - It's all about symmetry, so when you're looking at say your brain in this case, then you are comparing the right hand side to the left hand side of your brain and looking for differences in the two sides, like white areas(solid) or shadows/dark areas (An absence like air for e.g.). So if you had a white spot on the left side of your brain and on the same image do not have that white spot on the right hand side then this would be a reason for further investigation, more tests etc. A Doctor would always refer to the radiographer who does their report, but that report can take a little long most of the time so the Doctor themselves would obviously view the image and have a pretty damn good idea of what it is the image is showing with respect to diagnosis.

Last edited:
TheFireDragon, mate this will drive you crazy unnecessarily, seriously. You want to wait for your Dr's advice and not take anything anyone on the internet or otherwise tells you about what's in these images. We just aren't equipped with enough information surrounding whatever condition your Dr is looking for, I mean I assume they will be looking for, as I explained above, abnormalities and differences in the left and right sides of the images - it's best to be able to scroll through images on a screen like you would on the machine itself so you can scroll forwards and backwards through a series of images which equates to a section or slice of your brain.

So I'm assuming you've gotten your images and are yet to speak with your physician?

Certainly these days in my state in Australia the radiographers report is included on the encrypted DVD that comes with your takeaway images, it used to be a a typed A4 page.

Last edited:
If it was real MDMA it won't have fried your brain from using it just sporadically, brain damage somewhat tends not to feel as such (and the other way round). If it wasn't MDMA, it can have been everything.

We have these stories of DXM fried my brain all over the internet even with really educated people speculating about Olney's lesions. In the end it was entirely psychological (there is some damage on MRIs visible in heavy chronic ketamine users, but this is very probably due to a differing mechanism, and it's afaik not yet known whether it's reversible or not.)

Goddamn, DO NOT get "laypeople" to analyze MRI imagery, you'll end up convinced you have MS for sure. Amateur radiology = no bueno

I mean I've had actual radiologists come to very different conclusions when looking at the exact same images from an MRI scan, so sometimes it's not clear vis-à-vis pathology

OP could you describe the nature of your usage and the symptoms that followed.

I've been dealing with a "long term come down" as well since 2 months ago. Pretty sure I seriously damaged my brain. Numerous awful symptoms that are not getting better.

Just want to know what I can expect in the future.

Also I've read that MRIs and modern imaging technology is not sophisticated enough to see the damage to the serotonergic system that MDMA most likely caused in our cases.

Also in many of the threads on here one of the themes is that people experiencing this used mdma with alcohol. That's what I did. Wondering if that was your experience as well.

Thanks for your time and I sincerely hope you are able to find some answers.

Hi there, heavy MDMA users problems are more towards the cellular level and would indeed need a PET scan to be seen. Even then, diagnostics only go partway, the question is what do you do once you have found a problem/deficit.

I think if you suspect you are having serotonin system problems you should do cardio, 20-30 minutes a day and 3-4 times a week. It has been proven to build new serotonin cells and increase overall neurogenesis. I think cardio is essential for recovering from drug abuse. The other thing that will help greatly if you are feeling brain friend is meditating on the breath, it will help your mind begin to reprogram how it fires it's neurons, which I believe is often times at the root cause of problems after drug abuse, rather than outright neurotoxicity.

There are only a handful of people in this forum who could answer this question properly. Serotonin2A is a really good neuroscientist who should be able to.

MRI can be used to examine the gross structure of the brain but it doesn't have the resolution to detect the type of changes that MDMA is suspected to produce.

Would a PET scan be worth getting?

If someone suspects brain damage of some sort from MDMA usage is going to a neurologist even worthwhile? I've just heard that if there is damage that most modern imaging technologies would not be able to detect it even (unless it was something very severe, in which case you probably wouldn't have the wherewithal to type and live your life in anything resembling a normal manner).

not all the pro's who get paid a lot even fully understand mri images...... so absolutely not is the answer to that ?

un kle fukka; Yes this is basically how I feel, More opinions and more people examining the pictures never hurts.
I'm not sure if a PET scan is worth getting, I dont know exactly what it shows and what areas that the MDMA actually damages, But its interesting nonetheless and since i've never had one you dont know what to expect.

Serotoning2A, Someone said you are good at examining MRI pictures, Is that true? If so, would you be able to examine mine? Or atleast a few? The one picture I sent did that tell you anything at all or it all looks fine?
Remember tho, Its not just the MDMA I also wonder if I actually have Schizophrenia if that will show some inconsistencies also.

Skeeto222, I sent you a PM instead so this thread does not get derailed!

Last edited:
fmri/pet scans are neccesary, preferably with comparative scans to reference from when you were Known Healthy (or from a matched control I suppose)

it looks like what you have right now is just the t1/t2 weighted imagery, IE it shows gross structural morphology and can show you stuff like trauma, tumors, bleeds and the like but it is useless for determining changes on the functional/electrical physiologicallevel

And as others have said doing amateur radiology is a big no-no, nobody here wants to be legally responsible for your diagnosis. That is up to your Dr. only.

By the way the picture you posted looks like it is of your brain stem (base of your head) and is not very helpful at telling you what is going on

By the way assymetry in the images is expected if they were not acquired perfectly in line with your body e.g. if you were laying on a slight angle or your head was tilted.

Lots of people have reported similar "damage" after MDMA usage and I have maintained that it is not due to low level cellular damage but is rather a psychological manifestation of runaway anxiety after using MDxx... and for that matter you can recover if you simpyl focus on living healthy, focus on telling yourself every day that you will get better eventually etc... permanent cognitive dysfuction after light (even heavy) MDxx usage is only usually in cases of people abusing it daily for many weeks OR in cases where the person ends up physically inflicting damage E.G a stroke happens, a myocardial infarct, water intoxication, dehydration, metabolic acidosis goes unresolved for a long time, loss of brain oxygenation due to LOC etc. ... but even in those situations the damage is patently obvious to anyone skilled in the art of medicine... that is to say, if nothing shows up on MRI T1/T12 or CT scans then you are very likely going to be OK in the long term and need to simply stop beating yourself up so much (I know that sounds insulting).

If you would like more infornation on how MRI kimages "should" look go search for the Whole Brain Atlas, it has reference images of all sorts of brains in various states of disrepair (healthy images for comparison, cases of stroke/tumor,, Alzheimers, Parkinsons, dementia etc)

Last edited:
Sekio; Is the MRI pictures I have not the correct kind of MRI pictures or is it simply the MRI pictures in itself that are not able to determine such changes and only shows the gross structure.
Like I said in eariler post, I'm not gonna be acting "This person has got to be correct" if someone examines the pictures, I simply want more opinions, That's all.
Nobody is diagnosing anything, They cant be held legally responsible for anything. I just want people to post their thoughts on what the images tell you individually as a person, What looks off what looks right what you know what your experience is how you can tell what you tell. I didnt know it would be that big of a deal really. Anyway i'll post another picture here;
https://imgur.com/NhXVIa6

The kinds of MRI images you have there are the type that only show structural morphology, fMRI/PET etc scans are what are used to diagnose what is going on in the brain (usually by measuring blood flow or sugar consumption by various areas of the brain)

You need a radiologist to understand those findings. All I can say is that it is a pretty poor result (just google examples).

These images are also from the same place that the first picture was from by scrolling through the pictures, The first one was picture 1, Now i'll post picture 5,13,17. Someone said this area is from the brainstem is that correct? does the pictures look weird at all? cant find any on google that looks the same as mine.
http://i.imgur.com/EZHJTe9.jpg (Picture 5)
http://i.imgur.com/KWvr5Uk.jpg (Picture 13)
http://i.imgur.com/yY5oWas.jpg (Picture 17)

You really want a stack of images before and after the part you are looking at so you can detect abnormalities. To be honest the first picture you put up looked fine, with no obvious abnormalities, but like others have said an MRI is incapable of detecting what you are looking for.

Edit: looked at your images above and honestly they look fine mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.