• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Anyone brew beer? I need to ask you a Q.

tommy34

Bluelighter
Hey, I am thinking about brewing some beer for my birthday. I was thinking ginger beer. I read the label of the brew kit and it said it will make ginger beers that are 3.5%. I would like to try make them 7% so if i put double the sugar, yeast, hot water and double the brew time. In theory I think this would work. Am I missing any variables that would not make it work? Also, what would it taste like compared to the normal brew?

Cheers

it's a bad idea. you're gonna bubble over. it's going to be too carbonated. it's going to be watery. something will go wrong. it's gonna taste like shit. you buy the kit online or go into a store? i know we all like to stick to bluelight, but there are lots of forums full of people who will know exactly why you shouldn't do this. and if you get your supplies from a local homebrew place, just ask an employee what you can do to end up with 7% abv, tasty ginger beer. it will be more than just more yeast, sugar, and time.

also might be a homebrew thread in SO.

good luck!

More yeast, more water, and more sugar will just produce more week beer. You could try more sugar and more yeast with the same amount of water. Also certain yeasts will produce higher abv. I do a lot of fermenting for Distilling, so that's where my knowledge comes from. Not sure if its the same with beer

I didn't mean more water, I meant more hot water. I still brewed with the 18 liters. I did it, it tastes good an strong.

I asked the people at Stone Brewery this exact question. They said the best way to increase the alcohol content to beer without sacrificing taste is to add more malt.

Yes more malt would work, but also alter the flavour. When I was brewing, with experimentation, I added sugar (corn sugar preferably) and found maximum %/alcohol yield was about 1.75 kg/20l . This would get my beer up to around 7.5%