• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Anybody with Experience Camping along Pacific Coast (California) in August?

P0kemama

Bluelighter
Hi,
I am currently planning a 10 day camping trip, north to south, along the Pacific Coastline in California, for this August.. I want to hear from anyone who knows what the coast is like in August and/or has camped in the state campgrounds. I do know I need to make my reservations in the next week or two, as the sites are filling up fast. When the wildfires hit California, does the smoke affect the coastal area? What else... pros and cons... love to hear about it. Thanks.

I did it last summer. The only thing to plan for is fires. Other than that, it probably won't rain. It's the dry season. I camped along the roadside because it's free. I never used a commercial campground. I would start looking for a good spot before sunset. Then I could hide my motorcycle out of site of the highway and police and setup my sleeping bag and go to sleep. It was mostly easy.

I did it last summer. The only thing to plan for is fires. Other than that, it probably won't rain. It's the dry season. I camped along the roadside because it's free. I never used a commercial campground. I would start looking for a good spot before sunset. Then I could hide my motorcycle out of site of the highway and police and setup my sleeping bag and go to sleep. It was mostly easy.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience.

Hey POkemama, there are lots of great free camping places around Big Sur to the south of me. I have slept in my car there quite a bit. Around my area (Santa Cruz/Monterey Bay, there are some really nice campgrounds but they will most likely require advance reservations (Big Basin State Park, Butano, New Brighton, Henry Cowell). PM me when you are closer to leaving.

^^Thanks Herbavore. I just about have my itinerary set, reservations, are made, and my southernmost camping spot is Leo Carrillo State Park... I think it is around Malibu.

POkemana,

I've done a lot of camping--bits and pieces--on the CA coast; you're going to have a blast. Sounds like you're pretty squared away, so I won't lob details at you. My only advice is that if you have trouble with crowds (if you don't get a reservation, or if some place to too full for your liking), it's been my experience that most tourists stay near the famous areas. So if you just go north or south a bit, people almost always thin out.

Also, if you get a chance to camp in the Mendocino/Ft. Bragg area, I highly recommend it. It's just gorgeous there. The parks that herbavore mentions are also great.

Have fun!
-Sim