• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Any tattoo artists out there on BL?

deidara

Bluelighter
I've recently made up my mind about my career path, I want to be a tattoo artist. I've been doing art from a very young age, took mostly art classes in high school and have always envisioned myself doing something art related for work. My main thing is painting, mostly oil but everyone knows no one makes shit as a painter until they die and their work becomes famous.

I have some tattoos, but I think I should get more if I'm going to be an tattooist. I've been drawing every spare minute lately to try to build up my portfolio before I go ask for an apprenticeship. I am very serious about this career choice, I've been contemplating it for a long time, and I want the person I ask to be able to see that I am serious. I'm currently a part time college student and I don't want to quit school for this, I've taken a couple art classes and my plan is to major in studio art so I can be an even better tattoo artist.

If there are any tattooists out there, or anyone who knows a lot about the industry, how did you get your apprenticeship and what should I expect out of a mentor? What do you look for when people ask you about apprenticeships? Any thoughts/advice is much appreciated.

I'm sorry I can't really answer your questions about apprenticeships, but I have a friend who does tattoos as a side job. He gets a lot of work because he's very, very talented as an artist. I always recommend him to people. He bought his own equipment and he's done a few tattoos on himself. He takes pictures of all tattoos he does for his portfolio.

It's a good idea to finish your degree like you said, to be an even better artist.It's always a good idea to advertise yourself, and maybe start out tattooing your friends. Word of mouth is quite powerful. Keep drawing and good luck!

I have some tattoos, but I think I should get more if I'm going to be an tattooist.

I wouldn't get tattooed just because of the idea that a tattoo artist needs to have lots of tats. If you do good work, nobody will care whether or not you're tatted up yourself.