Mental Health Any severe side effects of using Abilify (Aripiprazole) while still under the effects of Invega?

fyrehydrant

Bluelighter
I took the Invega shot two weeks ago, it has deteriorated me into severe depression with suicidal ideations,
I don't feel human anymore and I'm unable to do any basic thing
My daily routine is to wake up, take Venlafaxine and Lamotrigine, stay awake trying to do anything and fail miserably as I have no interest in doing anything or the ability to do anything,
spend the entire day this way waiting for the time of the next dose of Venlafaxine and Lamotrigine at night, take Nozinan (Levomepromazine) and Amitryptiline just trying to make myself sleep with no avail as Invega has caused me insomnia plus no other drug seem to work not even Hash...

My doctor is switching me to Abilify by 30th of July, exactly one month after the Invega shot, and she insists I shouldn't start taking it until then.
I hear Abilify is also used an antidepressant and is a stimulant, so I figured it may help me be uplifted a little bit or at least reduce my suffering.

What do you think ?

Reference: https://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/abilify-with-paliperidone-233-109-1781-0.html?professional=1

I think that you should definitely listen to the doctor on this one. I think that there are many happy days ahead if you let them treat you. It just might take some time. Though it's not an instant fix, it will be a more genuine and long-lasting one. It's easy to get instant gratification, whether snorting a line, downing a drink, inhalling, or what have you.

The general rule of thumb that I know of is to wait a few months to see what will start working, and what won't. I consider this stage a leap to faith of investment in your future.

Medication can do a lot if you give it time, but healthy activities can be very medicinal.

Sounds otherwise like abilify is a solid idea. It can have those qualities. Let's see how you like it!

The waiting game can get much easier with a little positive habit production thrown in the mix.

Please just try to ride it out until your doctor says it's safe to start on the Abilify. These meds are really not to be flippant about.

I took the Invega shot two weeks ago, it has deteriorated me into severe depression with suicidal ideations,
My daily routine is to wake up, take Venlafaxine and Lamotrigine, stay awake trying to do anything and fail miserably as I have no interest in doing anything or the ability to do anything,
spend the entire day this way waiting for the time of the next dose of Venlafaxine and Lamotrigine at night, take Nozinan (Levomepromazine) and Amitryptiline just trying to make myself sleep with no avail as Invega has caused me insomnia plus no other drug seem to work not even Hash...

My doctor is switching me to Abilify by 30th of July, exactly one month after the Invega shot, and she insists I shouldn't start taking it until then.
I hear Abilify is also used an antidepressant and is a stimulant, so I figured it may help me be uplifted a little bit or at least reduce my suffering.

What do you think ?

Reference: https://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/abilify-with-paliperidone-233-109-1781-0.html?professional=1
Please don’t start Abilify early with the hopes of being just a tad bit happier. The risks of combing these two meds severely outweigh the benefits in this scenario. Doctors generally know what they are talking about when it comes to drug interactions, and taking them together could be very serious.

I know it really really sucks right now, but wait it out. This too shall pass. Here’s something to help in the meantime. Try some activities or hobbies such as drawing, journaling, exercise, etc. I know it can also be hard to want to do these things when you’re depressed, but if you force yourself to do them, and you’re genuine about it, you WILL feel a little better.

Antipsychotics (such as Abilify) are VERY strong drugs! They effect the brain in huge ways. Don’t try to “manually” mess with your brain chemistry and make yourself happier. Trust me, it never works, it always comes back worse.

You’ve got this! There’s always a rainbow after the storm.

Much love,
Ash <3

What do you think ?

Not necessarily dangerous but it will do the opposite of what you are hoping. Your side-effects will be increased and you'll feel even more tired potentially. At the very least you wont feel more stimulated or less depressed. Depot paliperidone (invega) is nasty stuff, but apparently works for some. And have no experience with antipsychotics (never needed them fortunately) but out of curiosity I read a ton of patient reviews of the invega just to see, given the horrible reports of this, to answer my question, so do any patients report benefit? Some did but they were much less common than those with horror stories. Some reported mixed result (the voices are gone but i feel like im not a human being anymore, etc).

In any event taking abilify now won't help you. You'll need to get it out of system. Which to be frank, based on all that ive seen, may take longer than a month.

Take some l-tyrosine perhaps, 500mg twice a day, maybe it will help. Maybe not. Worth a shot (no pun intended)

Last edited:
I think that you should definitely listen to the doctor on this one. I think that there are many happy days ahead if you let them treat you. It just might take some time. Though it's not an instant fix, it will be a more genuine and long-lasting one. It's easy to get instant gratification, whether snorting a line, downing a drink, inhalling, or what have you.

The general rule of thumb that I know of is to wait a few months to see what will start working, and what won't. I consider this stage a leap to faith of investment in your future.

Medication can do a lot if you give it time, but healthy activities can be very medicinal.

Sounds otherwise like abilify is a solid idea. It can have those qualities. Let's see how you like it!

The waiting game can get much easier with a little positive habit production thrown in the mix.
the problem with invega is I no longer feel human, I am unable to do any task, even simple ones like making coffee, I freed myself from work but I'm unable to work on my hobbies or do anything productive....
Thanks
Please just try to ride it out until your doctor says it's safe to start on the Abilify. These meds are really not to be flippant about.
Its too hard, I'm having too much of suicidal ideations, and to be locked unto this "can't do anything mode" is really hard
Please don’t start Abilify early with the hopes of being just a tad bit happier. The risks of combing these two meds severely outweigh the benefits in this scenario. Doctors generally know what they are talking about when it comes to drug interactions, and taking them together could be very serious.

I know it really really sucks right now, but wait it out. This too shall pass. Here’s something to help in the meantime. Try some activities or hobbies such as drawing, journaling, exercise, etc. I know it can also be hard to want to do these things when you’re depressed, but if you force yourself to do them, and you’re genuine about it, you WILL feel a little better.

Antipsychotics (such as Abilify) are VERY strong drugs! They effect the brain in huge ways. Don’t try to “manually” mess with your brain chemistry and make yourself happier. Trust me, it never works, it always comes back worse.

You’ve got this! There’s always a rainbow after the storm.

Much love,
Ash <3
I'll keep that in mind, thank you
Not necessarily dangerous but it will do the opposite of what you are hoping. Your side-effects will be increased and you'll feel even more tired potentially. At the very least you wont feel more stimulated or less depressed. Depot paliperidone (invega) is nasty stuff, but apparently works for some. And have no experience with antipsychotics (never needed them fortunately) but out of curiosity I read a ton of patient reviews of the invega just to see, given the horrible reports of this, to answer my question, so do any patients report benefit? Some did but they were much less common than those with horror stories. Some reported mixed result (the voices are gone but i feel like im not a human being anymore, etc).

In any event taking abilify now won't help you. You'll need to get it out of system. Which to be frank, based on all that ive seen, may take longer than a month.

Take some l-tyrosine perhaps, 500mg twice a day, maybe it will help. Maybe not. Worth a shot (no pun intended 🤣)

Why

The problem with invega is that I hear it takes about 9 months to completely get ridden of by the body
I don't see the point of waiting till the end of the month before starting on Abilify......

The problem with invega is that I hear it takes about 9 months to completely get ridden of by the body
I don't see the point of waiting till the end of the month before starting on Abilify......

The point is it probably wouldn't help right now and could make the matter worse and may merely compound the side-effects. For that reason you'd want to wait until you have lower blood levels of paliperidone before combining the two.

To be clear, abilify does not reverse the effect of paliperidone.

The combination won't kill you of course (although it does put you at greater risk of NMS). Sorry you're suffering, the many accounts I've read about the drug point a pretty ugly picture, although i have read a few positive accounts as well.

This was to be expected, wtf was your doctor thinking recommending Invega. I don't think Abilify will make you feel better, if anything it'd make you feel worse. Only constant you have is time, I'd wait, and not at all throw another strong neuroleptic on top.

Abilify is far from a stimulant and there's no reason to expect it to make you feel better. It has got a bit different pharmacological properties than Invega but it still is an antipsychotic. You probably will get less intolerable side effects from abilify (than from Invega) so it's like the lesser of two evils. Stacking it with Invega is just asking for trouble.

Back to report things here, I started Abilify 10mg friday night, next day I felt better and started being slightly productive again and able to do stuff I wonder if its just a mind thing or if it started working already
no side effects to report thus far, and hopefully won't be...

in the end all that I've got to say is: Damn you Invega

Back to report things here, I started Abilify 10mg friday night, next day I felt better and started being slightly productive again and able to do stuff I wonder if its just a mind thing or if it started working already

Thanks for reporting back! <3. Glad to hear you’re starting to feel a little better, let’s keep that train going!

Friends’ medication has been reduced from 150ml to 75ml mthly injection & just wondering if taking oral meds would make a significant difference? Still lacking feeling emotions, no motivation, memory loss, lost appetite & insomnia! Also, if/when you stop taking it altogether will this all go away considering the half-life of the drug etc. Please send hope ~ is there a light @ the end of this tunnel…

Friends’ medication has been reduced from 150ml to 75ml mthly injection & just wondering if taking oral meds would make a significant difference? Still lacking feeling emotions, no motivation, memory loss, lost appetite & insomnia! Also, if/when you stop taking it altogether will this all go away considering the half-life of the drug etc. Please send hope ~ is there a light @ the end of this tunnel…
I'd say I escaped Invega/Respiredone hell almost unscathed, I don't have any long lasting effects from using those medications (unlike many other members of this forum).
What oral meds are you talking about (that would make significant difference)?
Those side effects you are talking about are more common than doctors would like to tell, and then add some more to them.
Finally, from personal experience, yes you can get over these drugs after stopping them and recover from the side effects but your mileage will vary.
Do NOT stop any medication abruptly and without consulting your doctor first.

I’m on a CTO so am being FORCED to take the injection but am hoping for a lower dosage of oral meds or switching to Abilify ~ but there are very mixed reports…

W