• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Any science behind chasing the dragon?

Fornax55

Bluelighter
Hey - wasn't sure if this should be in this vaping discussion or in ODD

Anyway, years of forum trolling has only informed me that chasing the dragon serves as a benefit because it "produces more smoke," through means, it seems to be generally accepted, of "distributing heat more evenly amongst your dope." That doesn't really make sense to me. If you're heating your dope below its burning point it shouldn't matter how much you're letting it move around a piece of foil, you should get the same amount of material.

Regardless, (and this is kind of embarassing because I can't find a link to the study) higher plasma concentrations of heroin have been recorded after chasing the dragon as opposed to, apparently, normal methods of heating.

Does this make sense? Is it more likely that the average heroin smokers just burn the shit out of their dope and that chasers simply burn it less? Could a similar effect be noted simply by reducing flame size/temperature and taking a longer time to smoke your heroin?

Hey - wasn't sure if this should be in this vaping discussion or in ODD

Anyway, years of forum trolling has only informed me that chasing the dragon serves as a benefit because it "produces more smoke," through means, it seems to be generally accepted, of "distributing heat more evenly amongst your dope." That doesn't really make sense to me. If you're heating your dope below its burning point it shouldn't matter how much you're letting it move around a piece of foil, you should get the same amount of material.

Regardless, (and this is kind of embarassing because I can't find a link to the study) higher plasma concentrations of heroin have been recorded after chasing the dragon as opposed to, apparently, normal methods of heating.

Does this make sense? Is it more likely that the average heroin smokers just burn the shit out of their dope and that chasers simply burn it less? Could a similar effect be noted simply by reducing flame size/temperature and taking a longer time to smoke your heroin?

Don't have any studies but I used to be a big chaser before I moved to IV, I've also chased blues(30mg Oxy), you chase because if you don't you're going to burn the shit out of the H and get not much. When you're chasing on foil, you keep moving it so you're not really applying direct heat to the H, attempting to vaporize it without burning. If you don't move it around, it'll smoke a bit then turn into a black charred pile of shit.

If you chase properly you can even smoke the trails when you're done for a little extra. I've chased BTH, #4 and blues and there's certainly a technique/skill to it so when you get better at it you get far more out of it. The way I think of it, if you chase you leave behind a small trail of H and exposing new H to the foil to be vaped, if you don't chase the H on the bottom will burn up, you can try reducing distance/using a smaller flame but you're still going to end up with a tiny black puddle of char.

I'm pretty good at chasing. Or was pretty good at it, anyway.

That's just a result of living in the land of tar, though. If you're bad at it you can waste a lot. Hell, even if you're good at it you can still waste some. If you're gonna be a smoker (and a joker, and a midnight toker) you gotta be sure that you don't put the flame into too direct contact with the heroin above the flame...I think that's the most common rookie mistake. "black charred pile of shit", as another poster said.

Really though, it's smoking drugs off fucking foil. You don't exactly need a doctorate to do it. 8)

#3 Heroin is what we get in the UK. A eutectic mixture of Diamorphine freebase and Caffeine at the point of manufacture, it is made specifically to be chased as the combination has a much more preferable VP than the base alone. Melting the powder slowly into a puddle of liquid (the "beetle") before tilting the foil allows it to run along the surface while the (as low as possible) heat from the flame converts it to the gaseous state which is inhaled and hits in ~7 seconds.
Uneven heating results in some bits being pyrolysed, a burnt lump in the middle of the liquid phase will massively impair the efficiency. The gear has to be kept moving otherwise it is simply combusted, angling the foil correctly while maintaining steady directional heat is far harder than you'd think.

Thanks^
I've always been a proficient chaser and I much prefer the method, but I'd begun to wonder why simply holding the lighter slightly off to the side and much farther below so as to not even come close to directly heating your dope wouldn't work the same.

Mmm I think it's basically for the same reason you have to stir food while pan cooking it on a burner. If you don't, the stuff on the bottom will burn, stick to the pan, and fuck everything up. The running motion also creates more surface area. Mmmmmm heroin. This threads got me all hot and bothered for some of that sweet vinegar smoke nyow >_>